XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I've been circling the XF with great interest, and the second-hand prices are falling into my range. However, I have a couple of questions regarding the specs:

1. Now that people have had their cars for a while, how is the Ivory leather bearing up? Does it require a lot of upkeep? I like the look of it in the catalogues, but I'm not the best at keeping the interior clean, so I don't know if it'd be right for me. That said, most of the leathers on offer are very light; wish they offered a tan (on the cooking models) or brown.

2. Are the cooled seats worth getting? I see one chap loves his, but I'd be interested to hear how much use they'd get. I'd imagine the main use is on a hot day, when the seats heat up in the sun; is that a problem in the car, and if so, do the cooled seats help?

3. I don't see much mention of Jaguar Voice on the forum. If anyone's got it, is it any good? I'm intrigued by it, especially since the car's other interfaces look quite busy.

I hope I'm not going over old ground, but any comments will be most welcome.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Evening,

Well great to here you are looking at the XF :D points raised I will try and answer just of course from my own opinion :

Ivory seats : Stay away if you have children I looked at them but after speaking to the dealership he advised me against it.

Cooled Seats : no comment

Jag Voice : Plain and simple had demo from dealership, and he even expressed not one of the best options, just does not work.. :eek:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Re the ivory seats, I have them and have found no problems at all. Any leather seat will need an occasional wipe and there are many products you can buy if you so desire.

Personally I think the ivory trim knocks spots off the others, hence its premium price. I chose rich oak veneer.

My other comment would be on the comfort of the seats, which I find less than satisfactory on a long journey.

All in all though it is a lovely car.

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Welcome to the forum nicholasblair :)
Pleased to read that the XF is about affordable for you now. I am sure that there are some real bargains about. Have you seen any on offer with the Ivory trim :?:
Mine was called Champagne, now called Barley, and it is quite light but I have never had any concern about its appearance. I have wiped it over with a leather cleaner on a couple of occasions but to be honest, when finished, I have not noticed any difference. Testament surely to a robust surface finish.
I do know that Craig has Jaguar Voice on his car and I think I am right in saying that he appreciates having it. I am sure he will comment at some stage or you could send him a Private Mail.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have ivory leather and it looks superb. I am conscious of the danger of dye transfer and try not to wear blue denim as I had a bad experience with my first S-Type - which had a light leather. Having said that, my XF has been Supaguarded inside and out and I am hoping that that, together with the better quality of leather and my care in choice of trousers, prove the answer.

I do quite like the seat ventilation and do use it, although my wife is not so keen. (She might change her opinion in winter.) My only issue - expressed elsewhere in these forums - is that it doesn't remember your setting and defaults to "off".

Re Jaguar Voice, although it's on the XF I haven't bothered with it. It was on my previous S-Type and I could never remember the commands so fairly quickly gave up. I supposed that it's safer than looking at the touch-screen so, if you're that way inclined, it's probably a good option.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have Ivory seats, so far, no complaints about staining or blemishes.
Even if they do get marked, I love the two tone interior (ivory/oyster) so much, I decided it's worth the risk.

I've never been bothered by a heated seat, but I got in the car after a tough workout and turned on the cooled seat and fell deeper in love with the car. I cooled so much quicker and more comfortably than with the air con or all windows open. So for the cooled seats, a big YES. :D

·
Registered
618 Posts
I wouldnt touch the ivory seats personally as they do require quite an upkeep. Cooled seats are a love it or hate it thing. I really like them and use them regularly. The only issue being that Jaguar give priority to the air con which means that on a very hot day they dont really start working for a while, unlike lexus who prioritise them equally. Now Jaguar Voice, whoever tells you it doesnt work is talking pish, it is by far the best system in terms of voice recognition on any of the brands and coincidentally or not it is the only one designed from the outset for English.
What annoys me about it with the XF is that because of customer feedback from around the world Jaguar have chosen to cut the number of commands so it is very basic. You cant manipulate the audio system with it and you can change the climate temperature, all things you could do on older Jags. You can do basic screen movements and last options like redial or home setting on nav etc but most of the commands are for navigation sound and view functions. In my opinion its not really worth the option price. For the XJ they need to take the in depth S-class system and Jaguarise it!!

good luck with your purchase. Out of interest what are you looking for? I have an 08 prem lux diesel with ALL the options which is midnight over charcoal with rich oak and it may be for sale!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Cooled Seats - I find the cooled seats with their secondary frame more supportive/comfortable than the heated only seats in my first XF.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i have the cooled seats, and they are amazing... just love them..
I have also chosen the ivory seats and they are just amazing.. i have to kids, 8 and 5 so its safe to say if you are going after the ivory seats i recommend regularly cleaning them and making sure that any stains are removed as soon as possible.

Cheers

P.S: So far i don't have a single stain on the seats, and the car has 4,000KM on it .. :) :) :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Welcome,
I have ivory seats and think they are great. As for upkeep I just wipe them down with a leather cleaner and protector every 4-6 months. They dont get that dirty as my partners 10 and 12 year old are constantly in the back seat as my 14 year old son uses the front. simple rule if children look dirty they get changed or I carry a cover for the seats in the boot just in case. I have had my car for 15 months and the seats still look great.

As for the seat cooling, I find it great. Though only used on really hot days.

Jaguar voice - I haven,t got it and doubt I would be interested as an option.

Hope this helps

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
It does seem that everyone with Ivory seats would not want to be without them at any price. :cool:
I have to say I would love to have them. :(
And it would be asking a lot for Craig, with his Charcoal, to embrace a finish the exact opposite of his own :lol:

·
Registered
618 Posts
^ its not the ivory i dont like, its the oyster upper environment. I wish you could get the charcoal interior with ivory seats.

·
Registered
306 Posts
craig said:
^ its not the ivory i dont like, its the oyster upper environment. I wish you could get the charcoal interior with ivory seats.
I was exactly the same I like a black dash, the oyster and the brown reminded me of cheap american cars, the only choices at the time were grey and charcoal if you wanted a black dash, I did think about the ivory but the demo car I drove had ivory seats etc and with only 2K on the clock the doors were very badly marked in the lower regions from shoe scuffs.

gary

·
Registered
618 Posts
gazzazh said:
Hi craig,

i have the ivory with charcoal interior, its amazing ... go for that .... you will love it
cheers
wasnt available when i got mine and im not buying another one :lol: Have just checked the Jag configurator and you still cant get that combo you can have ivory/oyster or ivory/truffle but not ivory/charcoal so how on earth did you get that? :shock:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Ivory leather - love it. Yes, you need to look after it, but that little bit of extra work is well worthwhile.

Cooled seats - used a few times and is nice when it's hot. Not sure if I would pay for them as an extra though.

Jag voice - don't have

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have had my Ivory now for over 12 months and apart from one or two marks which come off really easily it is as good as new even with teenagers in the back :!:

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Welcome to the forum iceman :)
It appears fairly conclusive now that the Ivory leather, which has been specified more times than I would have guessed, is really not a problem to maintain.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts