XF Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just done a quick search of the forum to see if this has come up before, but couldn't find anything so:

Any thoughts on the lateral support provided by the front seats – I wondered if the absence of 'wings' on the backs means you don't feel properly supported when cornering at (legal!) speed? It wasn't any issue on my test drive, but there again I wasn't exactly driving fast.
My supplementary question is: if lateral support does leave a bit to be desired, has anybody looked into the possibility of special ordering the XFR seats (which do have 'wings'), and if so, how much?!

Best wishes to all. FTA

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
Welcome to the forum FredtheAiredale :)

At the risk of setting off a debate the subject of which, for one member at least, proved to be the "straw that broke the camels back" I have dug up at least one thread from the past :)
I have to say I am quite happy with my seats, but then I don't race around :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=509

·
Registered
242 Posts
pekem said:
I have to say I am quite happy with my seats, but then I don't race around :lol:
But you do seem to get around a lot Pekem !!

Personally, having only the bog standard Luxury, I dont have a problem either and I do find that there is some lateral support. The seat centre is realtively soft so the main body/trunk tends to sink back slightlycompared to the sides. I have been known to drive quickly on occasions but have never felt a lack of support.
Furthermore Mrs. Ll is renowned for complaining about car seats but has yet to make any compalint about the XF.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My slight beef is with the lateral support from the seat bases - particularly in (ahem) fast cornering where it's very poor indeed.

Must find out how much it would cost to retro fit some of the XFR chairs, because when I tested one, the seats were seriously supportive and very comfortable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Completely agree, whilst the seats look like the support will be poor they do allow you to sink in and hold tight.

I am renowned for racing around as pekem puts it :oops: and when the support runs out I find grabbing hold of the console prevents you falling out the door. Very useful.

Having owned a few BMWs, the XF seats are head over shoulders in terms of long distance comfort - which is the most important thing for this type of car. They aren't that far off my Volvo seats come to thing of it - so they must be OK.

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
Stevie said:
My slight beef is with the lateral support from the seat bases - particularly in (ahem) fast cornering where it's very poor indeed.

Must find out how much it would cost to retro fit some of the XFR chairs, because when I tested one, the seats were seriously supportive and very comfortable.

Watch this film Stevie
I can't help feeling that some very experienced drivers were happy with the seats :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oFt9q7Ioow

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks for the links and the comments .... sounds like the absence of side bolsters isn't too big a deal ... I'll probably ring the garage anyway to enquire if it is possible to order the XFR seats, and if so at what cost .... my guess is the answer will be either no you can't, or yes you can but it will cost £1,200-£1,800...

Cheers. FTA

·
Registered
33 Posts
My guess we be £2K and some - gulp!

But they are gorgeous seats, so be sure to let us know. :lol:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Cant deny the XFR seats look great and I am sure tha side supports make you feel more secure but if you are having to grab something to stop sliding off the seats you must be really trying round the corners, or on a track day, or be really tiny??

As I said previously I have been known to press on a bit myself but have never felt it necessary to grab something (other than the steering wheel) to stop me from sliding around in the car. ?? It's not as if I am wedged into position either - I'm 6ft and 14stone, 36 inch waist.

Just how fast are you guys driving? Are you the same guys that go through a set of tyres in 7000 miles?? :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
33 Posts
andrewll said:
Cant deny the XFR seats look great and I am sure tha side supports make you feel more secure but if you are having to grab something to stop sliding off the seats you must be really trying round the corners, or on a track day, or be really tiny??

As I said previously I have been known to press on a bit myself but have never felt it necessary to grab something (other than the steering wheel) to stop me from sliding around in the car. ?? It's not as if I am wedged into position either - I'm 6ft and 14stone, 36 inch waist.

Just how fast are you guys driving? Are you the same guys that go through a set of tyres in 7000 miles?? :lol: :lol:

My answers:

Not every corner but once in a while I drive it very hard around corners - just to check it still handles well (it does). Can't believe such a big/heavy car corners so well!

Alas not tiny, I have no complaints about the seats and any non-racing seat is the same. However if you go to the other extreme with 'buckets' it can be difficult to get in and out. Plus, the leather would wear heavily were you rub against it to get in/out.

On occasion I do drive it quickly, but not unsafely. I.e. never fast in a built up area or traffic etc. but when alone on the wide country roads near me I 'give it some' :lol:

7000 miles - absolutely not! :x I'll have you know I got 8000 out of mine :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Large side bolsters are susceptical to unsightly creasing and premature wear, particularly the driver's seat. I have been looking at used R8's advertised on Pistonheads and cars with only 2000 miles on the clock are already showing signs of creasing in the offside upper and lower bolsters. My son's TT 2, which has the same Recaro seats, developed creases before it had covered 5000 miles.

R8 after only 2000 miles. The XF seats seem to wear much better.

Inner side of driver's lower offside bolster is already badly creased.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the pictures, plus comments about showing early signs of wear.... I've just had a conversation with my garage, who've told me the XFR seats would only be available as a retro fit (if they could get them) and the cost would certainly be well in excess of £2000 ..... standard seats it is then!.... cheers. FTA

·
Registered
281 Posts
I too was concerned about the support offered by the front seats as I had read a few negative comments. Have to be honest and say they don't offer as much support as I had in my M sport 5 series, but I haven't really found them to be a problem.

The seats was probably the only area where the Beemer was better than the Jag!

·
Registered
618 Posts
The lateral support on the PL seats is not great particularly at hip level. The XFR should be better but I have yet to try one. It wouldnt surprise me if they produce a sport model at some point that is basically an XFR but with the 3.0s engine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Totally agree. This is a shortcoming of the XF. Coming from a 5-series sport, there is a huge difference in lateral support. The XF seats are very comfortable...provided you don't corner hard....and the car is very well balanced on the limit for such a heavy beast. (Eats tyres on track days though...)

I identified this as a issue on my first test drive, but overall it didn't pusuade me to buy an A6, M5 or 540i instead.

The XFR seats look loads better.

In respect of the added 'wear' on bucket seats, my experience is that you will find slightly more wear on the o/s side bolsters and o/s squab, but I would still prefer more lateral support.

My other car is a Porsche Cayman S, where the seats are awesome in terms of lateral support, like sitting in a racing car. Massive lateral support, so perhaps I've been spoilt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
craig said:
The lateral support on the PL seats is not great particularly at hip level. The XFR should be better but I have yet to try one. It wouldnt surprise me if they produce a sport model at some point that is basically an XFR but with the 3.0s engine.
... yes, although I thought the S in 3.0D S stood for sport... and given the latter's slightly more powerful performance over the 'standard' 3.0D you would think this might have been reflected in the use of side bolsters ... but hey, bolsters or not, I can't wait to take delivery on 17/06!

Cheers. FTA

·
Registered
38 Posts
chalky said:
My other car is a Porsche Cayman S, where the seats are awesome in terms of lateral support, like sitting in a racing car. Massive lateral support, so perhaps I've been spoilt.
Just sold my Cayman S recently. I'm assuming you've got the sports seats? Hard bases, but amazing lateral support across the thighs, hips and shoulders. The XFR I drove was not far off in terms of support - more cushy for sure - but supportive nonetheless. This is the only aspect of the car I'm not that enamoured with.

Cheers

Stevie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Having just been for my first proper drive in SV8 which I bought last week, I'd say the seat's lateral support was the only major issue I have with it. In fact, just logged on to see if there was a solution, and this thread was top of the pile! Pressing on yesterday - on quiet North of Scotland roads - and I was holding on to wheel and bracing on foot rest to stop sliding around.

I am on the "compact" side myself, weighing 11st, but have also just come from Audis - RS4 and then R8, which had much better support. The reason the R8 bolsters are worn, is that it is very difficult to get into car without catching sides, unless you make a real effort to lift yourself over. Wearing jeans especially it's too easy to catch rivets on sides. It's not the lateral movement that wears them, it's the entry/exit from car.

Other than that, and some lack of traction issues on damp roads, car is great. 85 miles yesterday, 12.1mpg! Having said that, managed to get 7mpg out of R8 on track, so pretty economical really...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts