XF Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got back to my beloved XF to find a scratch on the bumper.

It looks like it will polish out but would like some advice as to the best polish to use.

Can anyone let me know what works the best

Thanks

·
Registered
374 Posts
Before you attempt to polish the scratch, try this test:

- run a fingernail lightly, backwards, across the scratch

If you can feel the scratch then you'll need to get it professionally repaired by someone like Chipsaway (if you're in the UK).

If you cannot feel it then you have a couple of options. If it is a very light scratch then try Autoglym Super Resin Polish. Use a polishing cloth and some firm pressure AFTER you have thoroughly washed and dried the area.

If it's a more noticeable scratch then you'll need a much more abrasive polish like Autoglym Paint Restorer or T-Cut. Use these with care as you can end up ruining the paintwork! Always ensure the area to be treated is clean and dry before you attempt a repair, and always use the 'nail test' to see if a scratch can polish out. If you can feel the scratch then it needs to be filled in professionally.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a quick question on this and sorry if it sounds dumb but does it matter what product to use if the scratch is on the painted plastic bumper rather than the actual metal of the car?
ta..

·
Registered
374 Posts
Not really, no. The bumper is still painted and laquered like the steel body panels. The scratch treatment ought to be the same as we're talking about the laquer and paint layer only. But as I mentioned, my definition of a user-repairable scratch is a hairline scratch that hasn't gone down to the primer. Anything more and i'd get it filled and polished professionally.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts