XF Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long drive back from Salisbury-ish to Wirral via Chepstow. Satnav meandered us through rural wiltshire, rather than hammering us up motorways. Very scenic - thatched cottages, lovely looking pubs etc. Is that Satnav paid for by the Campaign for Rural England?

Seriously, my old TomTom would never have done that! Anyne else finding the system selects bizzare routes. Why? Lowest fuel - certaily not lowest time, prettiest? Route with highest chance of meeting another XF (since we're all redirected onto these roads anyway).
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,502 Posts
I am reluctant to ask if you checked through the preferences regarding Tolls, etc; I am sure you would have done.
Then there is the question of which of the three alternative routes you opted for :?:
I have to say that I have always found a satisfactory option and that I have not encountered the anomaly that you highlight :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Not sure exactly what motorways you were expecting to be routed onto, south of the M4 and east of the M5 the nearest you are going to find to a motorway is the A303, and between Salisbury and Chepstow, I can't really see any worthwhile alternatives to rural A-roads. Perhaps someone could put the route into a Tom-Tom and see what it comes up with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
618 Posts
The sat nav is rubbish, always has been and is no better with the update. Gives you three random routes and never really takes you the best way. It is poor and Jaguar need to do something about it. I hope the XJ one is better.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,502 Posts
mbrock said:
Not sure exactly what motorways you were expecting to be routed onto, south of the M4 and east of the M5 the nearest you are going to find to a motorway is the A303, and between Salisbury and Chepstow, I can't really see any worthwhile alternatives to rural A-roads. Perhaps someone could put the route into a Tom-Tom and see what it comes up with.
Surely a journey from, lets say Salisbury, to Wirral would not involve an excursion via Wales :?:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
I have never had a problem with the sat nav which I have used extensively in this country and France. It just needs to be programmed correctly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
The SatNav will get you where you want to go (eventually) but some of its routing algorithms are shocking, for instance it can't direct me the three miles from my home to work (it ends up going in cirecles), however it knows the way back. It also has a tendency to veer off main roads for no apparent reason (recently tried to take me half a mile off the main road into a village and back to the main road, obviously I ignored it).

As long as you are aware of the Sat Nav's vaguaries then common sense comes into play, however I agree with Craig, Jaguar should be doing better than this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
pekem said:
mbrock said:
Not sure exactly what motorways you were expecting to be routed onto, south of the M4 and east of the M5 the nearest you are going to find to a motorway is the A303, and between Salisbury and Chepstow, I can't really see any worthwhile alternatives to rural A-roads. Perhaps someone could put the route into a Tom-Tom and see what it comes up with.
Surely a journey from, lets say Salisbury, to Wirral would not involve an excursion via Wales :?:
I'd assumed the OP actually wanted to go via Chepstow - if not then there really is a problem!
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,502 Posts
mbrock said:
pekem said:
mbrock said:
Not sure exactly what motorways you were expecting to be routed onto, south of the M4 and east of the M5 the nearest you are going to find to a motorway is the A303, and between Salisbury and Chepstow, I can't really see any worthwhile alternatives to rural A-roads. Perhaps someone could put the route into a Tom-Tom and see what it comes up with.
Surely a journey from, lets say Salisbury, to Wirral would not involve an excursion via Wales :?:
I'd assumed the OP actually wanted to go via Chepstow - if not then there really is a problem!
I think you are probably right mbrock, after re-reading, it does appear Astacus intended to travel via Chepstow.
If that is so, then it seems that Astacus should be congratulating NavTeq for perceiving correctly that he was not in a hurry to get home, preferring to while away some time on a scenic route. :lol:
Of course the naysayers will still assert the system is rubbish, which in my view it certainly is not :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,538 Posts
It may not be rubbish, but neither is it trustworthy. The update improved the route algorithms, but it still gives shortest distance routings too much priority. The latest 2010 car system is no better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Although I am Welsh, and need to recharge my Welsh batteries from time to time ('batris') the diversion via Chepstow was planned :D

However, Salisbury to M4 via Marlborough might have been preferred to a trip through the miuddle of Devizes (about which I only know a poem!). I wasn't particulary in a hurry, and rural Wiltshire really is lovely.

And yes, I did see several XFs, so maybe the satnav has a 'highest chance of seeing another XF' option.

No biggie, I probably just need to learn the vagaries of the system one day.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top