XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used the M1 from Nottingham this week to attend press day at the motorshow and programmed my destination to a hotel near to Docklands.At every junction on the Motorway the Sat nav instructed me to leave via the slip road and rejoin the Motorway via the slip road!! Needless to say I ignored this instruction and I used my trusty Garmin Nuvi for the return journey.What is wrong with the XF system??

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
hydrajaws said:
I used the M1 from Nottingham this week to attend press day at the motorshow and programmed my destination to a hotel near to Docklands.At every junction on the Motorway the Sat nav instructed me to leave via the slip road and rejoin the Motorway via the slip road!! Needless to say I ignored this instruction and I used my trusty Garmin Nuvi for the return journey.What is wrong with the XF system??
You will be pleased to learn that Jaguar are working with Denso to solve that, and issues you have not experienced, but others have, and a fix will become available. Did you speak to a Jaguar representative when at the show about it :?:
P.S. Small mistakes in computer code can create havoc and it seem that you have made one in your URL address; it appears that a silly little dot is missing :ugeek:

·
Registered
618 Posts
dont expect the fix soon though! its a serious denso issue and is also impacting on other manufacturers. The problem is that it looks for the shortest routes only not the quickest

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
craig said:
dont expect the fix soon though! its a serious denso issue and is also impacting on other manufacturers. The problem is that it looks for the shortest routes only not the quickest
It also ignores route preferences. Manufacturers should stick to making cars and hire the likes of Garmin or Tom Tom to design the Navigation systems. That way it would be easier to update maps and load speed camera data. (via a CD or memory stick?)

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Vapourgrey said:
craig said:
It also ignores route preferences. Manufacturers should stick to making cars and hire the likes of Garmin or Tom Tom to design the Navigation systems. That way it would be easier to update maps and load speed camera data. (via a CD or memory stick?)
I am sure you are right but is that not the function of Navteq :?:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
pekem said:
Surely Navteq only provide digital mapping data not the system software, which has serious shortcomings in the XF.

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Vapourgrey said:
pekem said:
Surely Navteq only provide digital mapping data not the system software, which has serious shortcomings in the XF.
In that case we will just have to wait for Denso. Surely Jaguar will not want their product tarnished and will be applying huge pressure along with the other manufacturers.
I did not have Sat Nav in my S Type and therefore do not know how it performed but I am interested to know if complaints were expressed about that system :?:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
pekem said:
Vapourgrey said:
pekem said:
In that case we will just have to wait for Denso. Surely Jaguar will not want their product tarnished and will be applying huge pressure along with the other manufacturers.
I did not have Sat Nav in my S Type and therefore do not know how it performed but I am interested to know if complaints were expressed about that system :?:
I put that question to owners of new XK's on the XKEC forum. Only one owner reported a problem and that was after his car had been in to the dealer for a service.

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:35 pm Post subject:

Have had this same problem plus others so booked the car in with Grange Jaguar, after a lot of testing and head scratching they have now put a new system in, (at great expense to Jaguar) that i will be trying out this week end on our trip to Bromley.
All the problems that i have had with the sat nav started after it had its last service and they updated the software....

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've used mine on trips to Cardiff, Devon and Colchester, each time ended up ignoring it and following my nose. The daft thing is it gives you an estimated arrival time and once it worked out the route I wanted to use the arrival time was half an hour faster than the sat nav's own route predicted.

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
d4ve said:
I've used mine on trips to Cardiff, Devon and Colchester, each time ended up ignoring it and following my nose. The daft thing is it gives you an estimated arrival time and once it worked out the route I wanted to use the arrival time was half an hour faster than the sat nav's own route predicted.
It would be interesting to hear from you why you ignored the advice you were getting on those journeys? Also, how does the predictive destination time function. I would expect it to change in accordance with traffic conditions and if you abandon the advice you are getting on route I can't understand how the system can allow for that. After all, it has no way of knowing that you are going to proceed independently or can it cope with that as well :?:

·
Registered
57 Posts
pekem said:
d4ve said:
It would be interesting to hear from you why you ignored the advice you were getting on those journeys? Also, how does the predictive destination time function. I would expect it to change in accordance with traffic conditions and if you abandon the advice you are getting on route I can't understand how the system can allow for that. After all, it has no way of knowing that you are going to proceed independently or can it cope with that as well :?:
I had a map with me, looked at the route on screen and thought there was a quicker way. So after turning off of the sat nav route with an estimated arrival of 8.30pm it tried to turn me around for 10 mins, with the arrival time growing each time. Then it decided to pick up my route and the arrival time changed to 8.00pm.

The arrival time does adjust for average speed as well, so if you are cruising faster than it thinks you should be on the roads it will adjust. I've also noticed the arrival time takes no account of town traffic and assumes you can average 30mph without stopping.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Garmin immediately says "Re-calculating" if a driver decides to ignore a direction and go a different way. The Jaguar satnav sulks in silence for too long before it catches up with you, I find this annoying.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Add to this the annoying TMC traffic ahead warning that you never seem to come accross, just ignore the TMC which one day will catch me out

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
rclifford said:
Add to this the annoying TMC traffic ahead warning that you never seem to come accross, just ignore the TMC which one day will catch me out
I have turned the TMC off.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I thought I would try the sat nav yesterday on a day trip to Camberley a route I know well. 20 mins into the trip travelling on the M4 it tried to get me to turn off the M4 at Newport (maybe it thought that I wanted to go to the toilet) , I just ignored it, later coming off at junc 11 it again tried to take me a different route so what the hell I followed the instructions to see if it had a quicker route, it began taking me away from my destination and after a couple of take the "first right then take the 3rd right" and finding myself back where I started from I turned the frigging thing off, its hopeless.

gary

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
garyxf said:
I thought I would try the sat nav yesterday on a day trip to Camberley a route I know well. 20 mins into the trip travelling on the M4 it tried to get me to turn off the M4 at Newport (maybe it thought that I wanted to go to the toilet) , I just ignored it, later coming off at junc 11 it again tried to take me a different route so what the hell I followed the instructions to see if it had a quicker route, it began taking me away from my destination and after a couple of take the "first right then take the 3rd right" and finding myself back where I started from I turned the frigging thing off, its hopeless.

gary
Gary,
Why not send this report directly to Jaguar at [email protected]
You will then at least have reinforced the point that the system is failing. We know they know, but no harm in telling them again.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Gary,
Why not sent this report directly to Jaguar at [email protected]
You will then at least have reinforced the point that the system is failing. We know they know, but no harm in telling them again.

Thanks its sent.

gary

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
If the satnav tells me to exit a Motorway, Dual Carriageway, Autoroute or Autobahn without a very obvious reason I IGNORE it and make more use of the road signs or even revert to my Garmin.

·
Registered
39 Posts
craig said:
What other manufacturers use this system out of interest?
Maybe I should just watch for cars leaving and rejoining the motorway on slip roads to find out! ;)

Martin

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
thegasman said:
craig said:
What other manufacturers use this system out of interest?
Maybe I should just watch for cars leaving and rejoining the motorway on slip roads to find out! ;)

Martin
I was told by a senior manager at Jaguar that some "German makers are troubled by the issue", make of that what you like :)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts