XF Forum banner

Saab to Jaguar XF

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  penultimateblack 
#1 ·
After many years of Saab ownership culminating in a 95 Aero I have a XF 3.0D on order. I had been looking at getting another Saab, but the 93 Aero Ttid is too small and too expensive and the 95 has ancient technology and an underpowered/old 1.9 diesel version.

My experience with a local West Country dealer has so far been good, and I get the impression they are doing quite brisk business on the XF despite the turn down. I was not able to drive a 3.0 but tried a 2.7 which was impressively refined but lacked power in the upper speed ranges compared to the Saab's 250 bhp and manual gearbox.

The salesman was quite neutral in trying to either sell me a used high spec 2.7 or a 3.0 new. There is a vast choice of 2.7's on the Jaguar used car search. In the end I went for the 3.0 because the engine seems more efficient/powerful on paper and the 2010 models also seem to have a few useful upgrades. The S version was out of my price range, but am happy with the deal and the spec I ended up with. The Jaguar is very well equipped even in Luxury basic trim. The one extra I was a bit peeved about was the Bi Xenon headlamps which are an expensive pack option, but once you have had them etc etc.

I have been interested to read the forum and the various positive and some negative points - I am very much looking forward to getting my Jaguar in early September, and nothing I have read makes me regret my decision. There is also a nice feeling attached to buying something designed and made in UK (albeit from a non UK company)

I had a brief fling with Jaguar a few years ago, when as a second car I ran a V12 XJS for a year - It had a beautiful 5.3 litre engine but the 11mpg was hard to justify!

See less See more
#2 ·
Good for you! I made almost exactly the same move, though in my case from a 95 Aero Estate (my fifth Saab) to a 2.7PL, the 3.0D not then being available.

I haven't regretted the change for a second, and the hugely better fuel consumption and general sophistication have been revelations.

Enjoy!

#6 ·
My Saab is a 2004 - Think new boss may want something a bit newer!!

I have a question on what I have ordered - do people think the following combination will look OK

3.0D Luxury in Indigo with Dove Grey - Presume the dash will be dark grey.

For interest I have also specified:

Visibility Pack
Luxury Winter Pack
Burr Walnut
Carpet Mats
Alloy space saver - This is the first time I have had to pay for a spare wheel!! Didn't fancy the tube of foam in case I slash the sidewall.

Car due early September, and then later in September a little run to Northern Scotland is planned - a favourite village called Plockton way up near Kyle of Lochalsh...anyone know it.

#7 ·
Really, I think that the opinions of others about colour combinations are worthless - its what you think looks good that matters, and the rest of us should lump it!

Plockton? Yes, gorgeous - quite apart from the TV exposure. My sister lives on Skye, and I've spent many happy holidays in NW Scotland and on Skye and Harris too. Magnificent country, if a trifle unreliable in the matter of weather.

#8 ·
Out of main season - I just love the sweeping A roads in the northern highlands - I will never forget a fantastic driver through Glencoe, I agree it does normally rain though!

Used to stay at The Haven Hotel in Plockton about 20 years ago - they had a pipe organ in the dining room - became a favourite because I play! Hotel is in different ownership now and not so good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.