XF Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, that's a qualified staement, but...

I'm having warranty work done on my 2.7DPL today, and the garage have loaned me a 2.2D S type. I was amazed at how much more nippy it is at junctions, at roundabouts etc. I know I've been complaining about the sluggish take off on the car, but after driving an 'inferior' model, I am astonished at the difference. The S-type feels really nippy! It also clatters like a tractor, but that's a different story!

Has anyone else had a chance to make this comparison, and if so, were your experiences similar? Is there a real problem with my XF?

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi there!

I presume they lent you a 2.7D S-Type? In any event I would tend to agree; I made the switch from a diesel S-type to the XF and I think, along with many other forum posters here, that the XF does disappoint by having many more flat spots in the mid range, and like many other forum users, I have been caught out by moments of inertia e.g. when trying to accelerate from rest across busy roundabouts.

I presume us early XF owners are paying the price of a rushed launch prior to the development of the more 'sorted' 3.0D engine; plus all the restrictive effects of having a DPF, ESC and the fact that the rear brakes seem to be almost constantly engaged as part of the DSC system- resulting in brake dust and rear pads with an expected life <10k miles.

It's just as well the automatic transmission is so effective at disguising these basic design mistakes. Hence, incidentally, fuel consumption that barely exceeds an equivalent sized petrol car...

·
Registered
102 Posts
XF-UXB said:
Hi there!

Hence, incidentally, fuel consumption that barely exceeds an equivalent sized petrol car...
Based on my experience I can't agree with your last statement as after about 5k I was getting actual figures (not as reported by the trip meter) of around 36mpg with failry spirited driving. I was lucky to get an average of 24mpg out of my previous 3.0 S-Type

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yes the XF does feel sluggish compared to the S as I had an S as a loan car while having warranty work done. However, the drive is more modern once you get over that. I agree that the 2.7 XF was rushed out to make the company attractive to buyers. If they had waited for the 3.0 then they probably would have gone bust. Still, doesnt make the early adopters that in effect saved the company feel any better.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm assuming from the "tractor" description that this was a 2.2d X-Type, not an S-Type. Was is automatic or manual? I noticed a similar thing when getting back into my X-Type 2.2d manual after driving an XJ TDVi (with the 2.7d engine), although this didn't apply to the 3.0D S XFs I have driven, which were a lot quicker to respond (although still not quite as immediate as a manual). I think the XF probably feels slower than it is due to the level of refinement.

Mark

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I now realise it was an X type (2.2D?) with a very old fashioned interior! But, really quite nippy. However, getting back into the XF tonight it was instant forgiveneness, the 'cabin experience' means that in most things, performance wise, the car is forgiven. I would like it to be better at take off thoiugh - has anyone with the Spires remap noticed this aspect improving.

Oh, and BSM - 'seems fine', failed again on the way home from service! I hate intermittent faults!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had an S Type 2.7D Sport before my XF and it did feel a bit faster but I think that was primarily because it had over 50,000 miles on the clock when I changed it and it certainly seemed to get faster as the miles clocked up.

The XF seems to be doing the same as I pile the miles on to it (which I am doing rather too quickly) but it is also much more refined than my S Type and, of course, has a much classier feel to it when you're sitting in the diriver's seat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts