XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience of using the above in their XF? I have just transferred mine from my S-Type - where it worked perfectly - to my XF and find that there is a significant lag in its following the car's speed (eg when you accelarate it takes a good few seconds to catch up). I wondered whether this was due to the "acoustic laminated windscreen" on the XF (whatever that is). I am also finding that the car's speedo is significantly faster (by more than 5 mph) than indicated by the RoadAngel. I sent a note to the RoadAngelGroup but the suggestion might be to buy an aerial but this would not be ideal for obvious reasons. An additional observation is that the signal strength bars for the GPS and the mobile network (for live updates) both look OK.

Any experience out there?

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
Re: RoadAngel Professional Connected

Welcome to forum IndigoIvory :)
I have been using a Road Angel Professional Connected in my 2.7 XF for a few months now and I have had no difficulties of the type you have described.
I did wonder if the acoustic screen would have an adverse effect on devices of this type, but not having them on my car it has not been an issue.
There has been a firmware upgrade on this model which I had installed by Road Angel a month ago at their office in Silverstone. It can be done from their website but I found it easier to call in their office where they were pleased to do it. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Pekem,

Thanks for the welcome. I live fairly close to Silverstone so could call in. I think that its up to date (being a Mac user I have to get someone else to do it for me as RoadAngel doesn't support Macs - shame).

I'll wait to see what they say and report back.

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts

Yes, seeing now where you live, I am sure it will be worthwhile popping round to them; they will serve you coffee and you can listen to the race cars going round the circuit :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I've just checked the RoadAngel against the speedometer. 60 mph held on speedo by cruise indicated 55 mph on the RA. As far as I can see the most likely explanation is that the car is reading fast as the RA was pretty accurate when on my S-Type. I can't see how the acoustic laminated windscreen can be the cause. I'll speak to RoadAngel group and Jaguar dealer.

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts

IndigoIvory said:
I've just checked the RoadAngel against the speedometer. 60 mph held on speedo by cruise indicated 55 mph on the RA. As far as I can see the most likely explanation is that the car is reading fast as the RA was pretty accurate when on my S-Type. I can't see how the acoustic laminated windscreen can be the cause. I'll speak to RoadAngel group and Jaguar dealer.
Yes, I am sure that is how it should be. I know that if I want to limit the car speed to 60, I only need to nudge the thumb wheel controlling the limiter to around 65, more or less.
Car manufacturers must by law ensure that the speedo never underestimates the vehicle speed and as a consequence the speedo is calibrated to overreport the actual speed. In fact, my car speedo is remarkably accurate, albeit that it reports a speed attainment of less than that of the Road Angel. I say this, because the difference at any speed between the speedo and the Road Angel is constant and always the same.

ROAD ANGEL say:

"Road Angel calculates your vehicle speed from GPS data.The speed is updated every second and,
at a constant speed, is highly accurate. If you are accelerating or
decelerating, the displayed value will lag behind the actual speed by a
small margin.You may find a difference between the reading on your
vehicle's speedometer and ROAD ANGEL.This is because all vehicles are
manufactured with a tolerance on the speedometer to allow for tread
depth, tyre size and pressure changes."

·
Registered
171 Posts

Construction and use regs stipulate the accuracy limits of speedos. They are -0% to +10%. The obvious tactic, then, is to make the speedos read +5%. I haven't check the XF against a non road GPS yet but the last 3 cars I've had have indicated exactly +5%

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Ok it sounds like it must be the car speedo reading high. This is in contrast with my last S-Type where it was pretty near exact compared to the RA. As you will appreciate, I am a little nervous about taking the RA reading rather than the speedo but perhaps I'll get better clues from real traffic conditions eg average speed cameras etc.

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts

IndigoIvory said:
Ok it sounds like it must be the car speedo reading high. This is in contrast with my last S-Type where it was pretty near exact compared to the RA. As you will appreciate, I am a little nervous about taking the RA reading rather than the speedo but perhaps I'll get better clues from real traffic conditions eg average speed cameras etc.
One thing you could do is to test the car and the Road Angel with a Traffic Calming Alert; the type that is activated by a car traveling at a greater speed than permitted. I know some appear to give false readings but if you can find a few different sites, and that should not be difficult in Northamptonshire, you may be able to reassure yourself.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Pekem,

Thanks. I did try this yesterday. Also, got my wife to follow me in her SLK - and vice versa - but it's easier said than done. You need to get a good run at the monitors so that your speed is properly established and that wasn't easy in view of the traffic. In the end, I gave up.

I've just been up to Castle Bromwich today to visit the factory - well worth it - and the speedo is consistently 4 to 5 mph above the RA. From my experiences in traffic / average speed areas on the M6 etc, I am becoming more convinced that it is the RA which is correct and the speedo "fast".

No news from either RAGroup or Jaguar. Watch this space.

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts

IndigoIvory said:
Pekem,

Thanks. I did try this yesterday. Also, got my wife to follow me in her SLK - and vice versa - but it's easier said than done. You need to get a good run at the monitors so that your speed is properly established and that wasn't easy in view of the traffic. In the end, I gave up.

I've just been up to Castle Bromwich today to visit the factory - well worth it - and the speedo is consistently 4 to 5 mph above the RA. From my experiences in traffic / average speed areas on the M6 etc, I am becoming more convinced that it is the RA which is correct and the speedo "fast".

No news from either RAGroup or Jaguar. Watch this space.
That is exactly what I would expect. It is surely in line with what was said earlier by both myself and Qhunter; there needs to be an over reporting of the cars speed by the speedo to ensure that the manufacturer does not cause you to fall foul of a speed limit.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I feel quite qualified to reply! I have 3 cars each with Road Angels! in the XF the speedometer reads about 2 mph fast at 30 incresing to about 4 mph at 70/80. This is about the same as my other 2 cars (a Mercedes SL and a BMW 330d) I have also found the same in my previous 2 cars. The only exception was a BMW Compact I had, the speedometer was spot on with the Road Angel at any speed! My current Road Angel Professional Connected arived with a rather serious fault; it switched off as I approched a camara! I contacted Road Angel who told me I needed a software upgrade, I told them I was not prepared to do that as I had, I had bought a new unit and why should I have to download new software? They agreed to exchange the unit and when the guy from City Link delivered the exchange unit and collected the faulty unit his words to me were "This is all I seem to do, swaping these units over"

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I've just got back from a trip to London this weekend: Northants - Hampstead - Ealing - Northants, and I confess that I would feel very naked without my RoadAngel. This despite its slowness in locking onto a satellite signal (up to 5 minutes). Ok, I know that I could buy the aerial to improve sensitivity but I'm not going to.

From someone who lives in the boonies it's pretty useful on the North Circular.

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts

IndigoIvory said:
I've just got back from a trip to London this weekend: Northants - Hampstead - Ealing - Northants, and I confess that I would feel very naked without my RoadAngel. This despite its slowness in locking onto a satellite signal (up to 5 minutes). Ok, I know that I could buy the aerial to improve sensitivity but I'm not going to.

From someone who lives in the boonies it's pretty useful on the North Circular.
Have you called in to the Road Angel HQ at Silverstone and asked for the latest upgrade; I think you will find it worthwhile ;)

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts

I had my Road Angel upgraded and having now tried it out I can say that it is a great improvement. I noticed that one of the improvements is its ability to acquire satellites under adverse conditions.
A few weeks ago before leaving my car at a dealers and driving off in a courtesy Volvo, I removed the device from my XF and put it in my pocket. After a few minutes I was alarmed to hear a voice telling me that there was a "live safety camera van" ahead. At first I thought, illogically, it was my phone but when it repeated 200 yards away from the clearly visible camera van I realised that it was a camera alert device. My next thought was - why were these things not built in to the XF if it was standard on a Volvo :?:
Finally, the penny dropped and I realised that it was my own device which I had put in my trouser pocket. I got it out and there it was, all lit up and at that moment actually being updated via the GPRS. :eek:
I placed it in the little tray by the handbrake and it behaved perfectly for the rest of the journey.
When I arrived home I took it in with me and placed it on a table ready to recharge later. Again there was a surprise because in the house it was still functioning; something it would not do hitherto.
Quite what they have done I do not know but whatever it is I am glad of it. :D
The relevant Firmware version is 1.4.10 1897 0TA

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Pekem,

Thanks for this information. I checked mine and found that my software version is 1.4.10.1839 so I called RoadAngel group. They said that the unit should have updated itself to ...1897 through the mobile phone connection but as it hadn't done that I could either download the update via a PC (which I can't do as I'm a Mac user) or bring it in to the Silverstone office. This, I will do, and will report the results to the Forum. Apparently the update makes it more efficient at tracking satellites so that reflects your comments. I've just tried mine (with the old software version) in the garden and it still took about five minutes to lock on to enough satellites for a reading. So RAGroup can't blame the XF's heated screen for its sluggish response.

It's a nuisance that the RAGroup doesn't support Macs but I suppose we have got used to a Microsoft-only world and largely live with it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Pekem,

I'm just back from my firmware update at Silverstone. Not wishing to score points, my update is 1.4.10.1923. From the numbering system it sounds as though these updates are coming fast and furious. I gather from RoadAngel that firmware updates are not so far downloaded through the mobile signal but that this modification is planned for later in the year. Until then, you have to connect to a PC. However, the firmware updates do not affect the database so in respect of speed- (sorry, safety-) cameras etc the device continues to update itself through the mobile phone network.

Does 1923 improve things? I believe it does. I'm due for a 400 mile round trip this weekend so will report back with a clearer position.

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts

Glad to read that you are up to date :) Yes, the firmware is constantly evolving and for most people the downloads via a PC works well.
More important than any of that; have you determined if the device is acquiring satelites faster than before :?:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Pekem,

Initial impression is that it is picking up satellites quicker and there does seem less lag in the system, but allow me to report back on Monday next.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Not much to add after my trip. RA does seem to be a bit quicker off the mark and better in responsiveness but the difference isn't hugely marked after the firmware update. You should probably still do it though.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts