XF Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took delivery of my 2.7 XF Luxury just over a week ago and was surprised at how firm the ride was. My previous car was a 2.5 Sport X-Type with 18 inch alloys and was very smooth. On anything but the smoothest of road, the XF feels every little bump and 'jostles' along the road, which sometimes makes me feel slightly nauseous and I've never been car sick in my life. I chose to upgrade from the standard 17 inch Libras to 19 inch Carelias, and so expected a fairly solid ride, but I took a test drive in a 2.7 PL with 20 inch Selenas and it felt great. Going to speak with the dealer on Monday but has anyone else had similar concerns.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sorry if this question is meant for service - but I absolutely agree with your comments. I had a 05 S-Type on 17' wheels and the ride on that car was superb, far more so than the low speed ride on my XF.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Vapourgrey said:
Have you checked the tyre pressures?
Make sure they are not at 50 psi!

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
I remember Service remarking that the make of tyre is a factor as far as ride is concerned. Dunlop I think were said to be the softer than Pirilli. Which do you have :?:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback guys. The first thing I checked was the tyre pressures and they are all 32 psi. I have the Dunlop tyres so maybe just as well I don't have Pirellis. Didn't manage to speak to the dealer yet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its now eight (wonderful) weeks since I took delivery of my new XF and I have now adjusted to the different ride quality. It seems there is nothing wrong, its just a bit of a change from the X-Type. I hadn't noticed the firmness on the (shortish) test drive I had because I was so taken with everything else the car had to offer. On the plus side, the firm ride makes the car handle so much better on 'drivers roads' and is far superior to anything I've had before. The car behaves so well that its easy to end up going much faster than you realise. I can put up with the firmness on motorways etc for a car that is so much fun to drive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a SV8 and its on 20's . I'm sure the ride quality on 17, 18's are alot more luxury like than on 20's. I def feel every bump but suprised how well the suspension compensates for the low profile tires.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I got my XF this month, on 19" alloys, having traded in an S-Type on 17" wheels. I was always pleased with how the S-Type handled/rode and there is no doubt that the XF is a slightly harder set up, but that is the key word for me... slightly.

The upside, as has been mentioned, is that the handling side is that bit sharper. I've not pushed mine yet as I'm still running it in but it definately feels just a bit sharper. No disrespect to the S-Type either.

All in all I've been delighted so far with the XF. If you have any doubts just sit in a five series beemer for a couple of minutes. I test drove both but I'm pleased with my choice.

Just enjoy the car... but mind PC Plod ;)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Northman said:
........... On anything but the smoothest of road, the XF feels every little bump and 'jostles' along the road, which sometimes makes me feel slightly nauseous and I've never been car sick in my life. ..............
Quite surprised at this cooment. Mine is on 18 inch venus and Pirellis and my 25 year old daughter who is prone to feeling sick in cars (in fact just about every car I have owned), particularly in the back, doesnt have a problem in the XF.
Personally I do find the ride firm but no worse than other sports saloons on low profile tyres that I have owned over the years. The benefit is clear in the handling which is tremendous for such a big car (and as Pekem keeps remarking, it is a BIG car!)
I have remarked previously that I do find that the car can deviate from track when it encounters standing water or imperfections in the road surface but reckon this is down to the tyres rather than the suspension geometry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts