XF Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

just to let you know that I have successfully retro fitted a genuine reversing camera to my 2010 XFR. It was a whole lot easier that I thought having read countless forum posts but actually there was nothing to it although having access to an existing set up helped but anyway...it is possible.

Time to fit 30 minutes removal from scrapped donor car and 30 mins to refit (if I did it all again probably 10-15 minutes to remove and same to refit)
Programming and camera cost £140 Inc VAT
Ability to see where I am reversing ...Priceless

(note this does involve a CCF update which was the majority of the cost)

Key steps
1. find donor car of same age / model as yours
2. carefully remove/loosen boot lining surround the fuse box on driver side to expose wiring loom
3. confirm if you have the optic fibre cable connector waiting to take feed from camera (small 1 inch long tube like female push fitting about thickness of a bic biro)
4. if you have the loom with bonus fitting remove plinth and camera as a whole from donor car by removing the 10mm bolts (6 from memory) located up inside boot lid - with boot fully open they are vertically pointing downwards to get to them you need to remove all the rear section boot lining ... very loose pressure to remove the difficult plastic plugs to release it) and remove all wiring tracing all the way back to the bonus plug you found on your car in step 3 including the feed from boot along corrugated rubber tube into boot itself
4. note be very very careful with the red lights either side of the plinth... they have a circuit board attached at the back of the light which is too big to easily pull out of the bodywork so you can get to the push fitting to disconnect the wiring loom... be patient or you will need a new loom or not have working fog lights

its just a case of removal from donor and refit entire plinth and camera and then taking it to a man who can for the CCF...

a man who can is in Wolverhampton area and is mobile so let me know if you need hooking up

·
Registered
38 Posts
This thread is of great interest to me, my XF Portfolio doesn't have reversing camera and it's definitely something I need to have retrofitted judging by the amount of people that have said the reverse camera is a must-have.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This thread is of great interest to me, my XF Portfolio doesn't have reversing camera and it's definitely something I need to have retrofitted judging by the amount of people that have said the reverse camera is a must-have.
Well before doing anything else you need to see if you have the "bonus" plug sitting waiting to take the camera feed - in my xfr 2010 I had to pull the boot lining on the drivers side where the fuse box is and look at the main wiring loom and locate the tube shaped female plug about an inch long diameter of a bic biro and kind of lilac in colour

·
Administrator
22,539 Posts
Well before doing anything else you need to see if you have the "bonus" plug sitting waiting to take the camera feed - in my xfr 2010 I had to pull the boot lining on the drivers side where the fuse box is and look at the main wiring loom and locate the tube shaped female plug about an inch long diameter of a bic biro and kind of lilac in colour
As an aside, my way of saying "off topic", can you say how battery dependent the camera is on the battery. In recent days in cold weather the camera on my car has not worked at the outset but after a short journey and a restart it is functionon again :confused:

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
As an aside, my way of saying "off topic", can you say how battery dependent the camera is on the battery. In recent days in cold weather the camera on my car has not worked at the outset but after a short journey and a restart it is functionon again :confused:
My reversing camera is unaffected by the cold (down to minus 35C) but is very occasionally reluctant to display, not temperature related though. My biggest beef is no screen washer spray to keep it clean. In my environment I have to resort to a Kleenex and a bit of spit....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no longer knowledge of the battery playing any part in the camera however I did experience something similar.

I'd start the car then engage reverse and the camera would not come on. I'd only get the screen saver.

Maybe next time it would be fine. Some fine in morning 10% of the time it would fail

I was in warranty so my dealer flashed the camera software and it cured it

·
Registered
38 Posts
Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the area? It'd be a great help.

·
Registered
Jaguar XF S Portfolio 2009
27 Posts
Guys,

just to let you know that I have successfully retro fitted a genuine reversing camera to my 2010 XFR. It was a whole lot easier that I thought having read countless forum posts but actually there was nothing to it although having access to an existing set up helped but anyway...it is possible.

Time to fit 30 minutes removal from scrapped donor car and 30 mins to refit (if I did it all again probably 10-15 minutes to remove and same to refit)

Key steps
2. carefully remove/loosen boot lining surround the fuse box on driver side to expose wiring loom
3. confirm if you have the optic fibre cable connector waiting to take feed from camera (small 1 inch long tube like female push fitting about thickness of a bic biro)
4. if you have the loom with bonus fitting remove plinth and camera as a whole from donor car by removing the 10mm bolts (6 from memory) located up inside boot lid - with boot fully open they are vertically pointing downwards to get to them you need to remove all the rear section boot lining ... very loose pressure to remove the difficult plastic plugs to release it) and remove all wiring tracing all the way back to the bonus plug you found on your car in step 3 including the feed from boot along corrugated rubber tube into boot itself
4. note be very very careful with the red lights either side of the plinth... they have a circuit board attached at the back of the light which is too big to easily pull out of the bodywork so you can get to the push fitting to disconnect the wiring loom... be patient or you will need a new loom or not have working fog lights

its just a case of removal from donor and refit entire plinth and camera and then taking it to a man who can for the CCF...

a man who can is in Wolverhampton area and is mobile so let me know if you need hooking up

·
Registered
Jaguar XF S Portfolio 2009
27 Posts
Hello, I want to get a reversing camera fitted. What is CCF and can you let me have details of the guy in Wolverhampton please. Would my nearest main dealer supply and fit
Guys,

Key steps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts