XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2009 XF 3.0d S a few months back with the help of forum members. It has been absolutely brilliant :)

Unfortunately I've got the dreaded "Restricted Performance" message up. I'm good friends with a local garage, and they plugged in their fault code reader and got the following:

P006A - manifold absolute pressure - mass or volume air flow correlation - intermittent
P00BF - mass or volume air flow b circuit range/performance - air flow too high - permanent
P2263 - turbo/supercharge boost system performance - unknown
p2192 - system too rich at higher load bank 1 - unknown

They weren't able to really get much further without a good deal of work, but the two things they thought it might be are either (a) cracked manifold (the car has already had a replacement looking at the paperwork) or (b) sticking turbo actuator.

I am fortunate in that I have an extended warranty. They'll pay for up to £2000 for parts, but I have to pay for diagnosis costs and labour costs above £39 :/

Looks like I'll have to take it Jaguar for a diagnosis! I rang up and it is £69 for the fault code reading - I can book in from some time Tuesday onwards.

Any thoughts before I book it in?

Cheers,
Matt

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Good afternoon Matt it sounds like the garage is on the right track, The cost of £69.00 is also a resonable amount for the initial investigation,With regards to the time factor we are booking from Wednesday July 2nd onwards.Subject to what was found that would then determine the amount of time after that.So sorry we could do anything any sooner.It it possible that it will be the turbo actuator however the Jaguar dealer will be able to confirm this for you.Should you need any additional help or advise please feel free to drop us an email.
Darren . [email protected]

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks chaps - I'll get it booked in.

The fact it has had a replacement intake manifold at some point does make we wonder if it is the same problem.

If the replacement has gone again, would this be under any kind of warranty from the Jaguar garage that did the work? I might have a look at that too.

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK it is booked in for Wednesday at Sturgess. Nice surprise - the chap quoted me £59 inc VAT so I've saved a tenner ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guess what... I had to wait over an hour and a half for them to read the codes and tell me what I already knew - 3 out of 4 of the fault codes already identified with no extra information. At least I know what I paid for - free Fondant Fancies and coffee!

I'm now being quoted £240 for the next stage of investigation (smoke test) which isn't guaranteed to pinpoint the problem either...

Apart from wasting my time taking an afternoon off work, it is all a bit irritating as although I've paid for the extended warranty, all of these costs come out of my pocket as they are for diagnosis of the problem.

Ah well - deep breath Matt, deep breath!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like a different set of fault codes :/
If this was some kind of intake leak on my mx5 (!) I'd be squirting carb cleaner all over the place to listen for a jump in revs... not sure if you can do that with a diesel :)

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Guess what... I had to wait over an hour and a half for them to read the codes and tell me what I already knew - 3 out of 4 of the fault codes already identified with no extra information. At least I know what I paid for - free Fondant Fancies and coffee!

I'm now being quoted £240 for the next stage of investigation (smoke test) which isn't guaranteed to pinpoint the problem either...

Apart from wasting my time taking an afternoon off work, it is all a bit irritating as although I've paid for the extended warranty, all of these costs come out of my pocket as they are for diagnosis of the problem.

Ah well - deep breath Matt, deep breath!
I am sorry to hear we weren't able to enlighten you any further as to what is causing the actual problem without further diagnosis.

If you would like to discuss this further please give our service manager, Darren, a call.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 2009 XF 3.0d S a few months back with the help of forum members. It has been absolutely brilliant :)

Unfortunately I've got the dreaded "Restricted Performance" message up. I'm good friends with a local garage, and they plugged in their fault code reader and got the following:

P006A - manifold absolute pressure - mass or volume air flow correlation - intermittent
P00BF - mass or volume air flow b circuit range/performance - air flow too high - permanent
P2263 - turbo/supercharge boost system performance - unknown
p2192 - system too rich at higher load bank 1 - unknown

They weren't able to really get much further without a good deal of work, but the two things they thought it might be are either (a) cracked manifold (the car has already had a replacement looking at the paperwork) or (b) sticking turbo actuator.

I am fortunate in that I have an extended warranty. They'll pay for up to £2000 for parts, but I have to pay for diagnosis costs and labour costs above £39 :/

Looks like I'll have to take it Jaguar for a diagnosis! I rang up and it is £69 for the fault code reading - I can book in from some time Tuesday onwards.

Any thoughts before I book it in?

Cheers,
Matt

Hi Matt

When does it go into restricted performance is it after accelerating and going beyond 2800rpm???

Dave

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It isn't at a set RPM.
It is fixed now though hurray!

A smoke test showed it was indeed the intake manifold that was cracked, so a new one was fitted and the car is lovely again.

I have docs showing that the other intake manifold has already been replaced - I'd love to know why they both went...

·
Registered
461 Posts
Guess you can drive around now safe in the knowledge that it's fixed but maybe wondering a little if it might happen again! Hopefully not though. Was that a Jaguar extended warranty or approved used warranty that you took out? I've never been charged for diagnosis work under both of my approved used warranties.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AAW warranty. £460 for 2 years. £2000 limit on any claim, don't pay for diagnosis or consumables.
They were excellent - couldn't help me enough.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi just found this discussion and thought i'd share what i have found. MY 2009 3lt s has had restricted performance and dpf full in red on many occasions and in different driving conditions over a few years. I have had turbo cleaner through the fuel tank and a spray which you direct into the turbos via the air filter. Dpf, egr and injection cleaner via the fuel tank has been tried all to no avail. The garage that service the car thought it was the actuator, replaced it but still the same and the fault code was driver miss use.
I started looking around the engine bay and after a few minutes i saw a rod move. The car had been used and was hot. This rod is a link between valves of some kind and there are two identical.I sprayed them with silicon spray and so far my issue has not come back, 3 months so far and counting.
These links are situated at the back left and back right of the cylinders and are a copper colour. The left hand side one is harder to see and may be easier if you take the engine cover off. The right hand side is quiet easy to see. I sprayed everything associated with this mechanism and i can only think it was sticking in some way.
I hope it cures problems out there.

TTFN

·
Administrator
22,535 Posts
Hi just found this discussion and thought i'd share what i have found. MY 2009 3lt s has had restricted performance and dpf full in red on many occasions and in different driving conditions over a few years. I have had turbo cleaner through the fuel tank and a spray which you direct into the turbos via the air filter. Dpf, egr and injection cleaner via the fuel tank has been tried all to no avail. The garage that service the car thought it was the actuator, replaced it but still the same and the fault code was driver miss use.
I started looking around the engine bay and after a few minutes i saw a rod move. The car had been used and was hot. This rod is a link between valves of some kind and there are two identical.I sprayed them with silicon spray and so far my issue has not come back, 3 months so far and counting.
These links are situated at the back left and back right of the cylinders and are a copper colour. The left hand side one is harder to see and may be easier if you take the engine cover off. The right hand side is quiet easy to see. I sprayed everything associated with this mechanism and i can only think it was sticking in some way.
I hope it cures problems out there.

TTFN
Fascinating theory shapes :)
If you get the opportunity to photograph the rod etc I am sure others will be pleased to give your solution a go .

·
Registered
238 Posts
although I've paid for the extended warranty, all of these costs come out of my pocket as they are for diagnosis of the problem.
This is not right.
I would challenge the investigation charges Matt. If you have the extended warranty, you're covered. I think you're being misled here by the dealer.
I've had to have the extended warranty for two years now and used it............a lot.
Not once have I been asked to pay for an investigation.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think it depends on the dealer, one insisted I had to pay diagnostics, when in fact the problem was obvious.

Another dealer resolved the problem no charge.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi just an update to my previous blog. I had an other look and the rods are black plastic not copper sorry, linked at one end to a lever which is a light copper colour. The other end is connected to a plastic below with a lead connected. It is towards the back of the engine. I will try to upload some pictures but i have change to apple computer and i'm not sure how to do it on the mac mini.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have just visited the Jaguar garage that service my car, to ask what the mechanism is in the photo's above. Its to do with the EGR. If that does stick in some way you will get restricted performance. I feel more confident that my problem is resolved and i'd recommend anyone to spray the components as a matter of course. I hope it's of some help.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts