XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently experienced major problems with my XF displaying a restricted performance mode and DSC failure with subsequently issues with the DPF and ECU! I do a lot of short journeys interspersed with occasional long trips and have experienced lots of problems with the diesel particulate filter clogging up. This has resulted in three service visits in less than 7500 miles. After the most recent problem the dealer found no faults logged in the IDS! I have also had a frightening experience of the car suddenly accelerating for no reason, then switching itself off and reporting a host of problems on the info screen. Again the IDS logged no such faults! Am I alone in experiencing such unreliable and potentially dangerous problems?

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Hello burkey, welcome to the forum. :)
That's a catalogue of errors for sure, even if they are not recorded in the system :(
On the basis that a forum will provide a natural relief valve for the dissapointed, frustrated and sometimes, downright angry it probably is that you are on your own with such issues. I can't recall seeing a report before detailing so many issues suffered which have not left a trail for the technicians to focus on.
I would suggest that you contact Jaguar Customer Relations and enlist their help. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
XF2.7D

I had a lot of 'DSC UNAVAILABLE- RESTRICTED PERFORMANCE' warnings, usually aborted by pulling in, switching the engine off and restarting. Not altogether the coolest way of travelling......
On one occasion my safety was quite seriously compromised by the car switching unexpectedly into restricted performace mode when I was trying to accelerate onto a busy motorway from a slip road.
Lots of trips to my Dealer (see other posts) who dismissed the warning as the more usual 'DPF FULL' problem, probably because they had had many (most) diesel customers presenting with this -more benign- problem.
Apparently the problem is a software issue where the DPF filter sensors can -for some bizarre reason- trigger this DSC UNAVAILABLE warning. In my case the problem was eventually found to be a crushed Vac Pipe on NS Back 2 requiring a re-route.
So far (fingers crossed) no recurrence!

Next car I get (Jaguar of course)- I'm seriously thinking of a return to Petrol. I'm thinking to myself why not enjoy the V8 rumble (while it's still legal) without all the hassle of DPF filters and extra cost of diesel fuel (price differential +12 pence per litre)...

·
Registered
247 Posts
I wonder if the problem you had XF-UXB is the same as the problem I have got? (Many Restricted Performance messages which display and then disappear). Can you give me more details on the pipe that was crushed?
My car is still at the dealer. They have managed to reproduce the problem, but not fixed it yet so I am still making do with SV8... that reminds me.... must go and put more fuel in it for trip tomorrow!

·
Registered
23 Posts
2.7D also Lunar Grey!

I was told that this software glitch somehow relates to the DPF, although why that should have any relationship to the DSC system escapes me! I'm not very technical, but there is a flexible part to the exhaust system, linked to the DPF, which can get kinked- worth checking whether that's the source of your 'DSC UNAVAILABLE' problem too.

Meantime, how does the SV8 compare to the diesel? Can you bring yourself to give it back??

·
Registered
23 Posts
I too have experienced DSC - Restricted performance issues but only 3 times. Like XF-UXB the solution has been to stop the car and restart thereafter the problem vanishes for an unpredictable amount of time - usually weeks/months. As it is rare I have not taken it up with the dealer ans because of the rare incidents have put it down to "one of those moments" for now.

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Quite a long time ago I suffered intermittent DSC failure and the problem was remedied by the replacement of a loom in the engine compartment. In fact the actual issue was said to be a corroded contact and to be on the safe side the whole loom was replaced :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thank you all for the feedback on your Restricted Performance problems. It sounds like my problem is different. I only get the RP message, I have never had a 'DSC Unavailable message'. Also, I don't have to stop as the error message just clears itself after a few seconds. Once it came on while I was stationary in a traffic queue!
In answer to your questions, XF-UXB, about the SV8, yes, I will be quite happy to hand it back as its costing me a fortune to run! The best economy I have managed to get was on a 200 mile round trip and according to the fuel computer I got 21.3mpg. I wasn't going fast and I had set the cruise at 70mph on the motorway for the duration.

It has been nice to try out all the options that I didn't order. (Xenons, Heated Steering wheel, Adaptive Cruise, rear sunblind, Blind spot monitor, B&W, Voice, TV, DAB etc.). ACC can be too sensitive, especially if there is a curve on the motorway and it detects traffic in another lane. All options nice to have, but I think the only option worth the cash are Xenons and possibly the heated wheel. I must say that it is an amazing car to drive and I know what you mean XF-UXB about the V8 rumble although you only get to hear it for the odd second or two before you hit the legal limit.

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
AndyB said:
Thank you all for the feedback on your Restricted Performance problems. It sounds like my problem is different. I only get the RP message, I have never had a 'DSC Unavailable message'. Also, I don't have to stop as the error message just clears itself after a few seconds. Once it came on while I was stationary in a traffic queue!
In answer to your questions, XF-UXB, about the SV8, yes, I will be quite happy to hand it back as its costing me a fortune to run! The best economy I have managed to get was on a 200 mile round trip and according to the fuel computer I got 21.3mpg. I wasn't going fast and I had set the cruise at 70mph on the motorway for the duration.

It has been nice to try out all the options that I didn't order. (Xenons, Heated Steering wheel, Adaptive Cruise, rear sunblind, Blind spot monitor, B&W, Voice, TV, DAB etc.). ACC can be too sensitive, especially if there is a curve on the motorway and it detects traffic in another lane. All options nice to have, but I think the only option worth the cash are Xenons and possibly the heated wheel. I must say that it is an amazing car to drive and I know what you mean XF-UXB about the V8 rumble although you only get to hear it for the odd second or two before you hit the legal limit.
Well I am surprised, and at the risk of going off topic, that there was not at least one cheer for the parking pack. In our poll it is by far and away the item that most would spend their money on and as for the heated wheel; I don't beleeeeve it :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=577

·
Registered
247 Posts
Pekem, I do agree with you. I wouldn't be without the parking pack. Well worth the money, but I did say 'It was nice to try out the options that I didn't order'!
Now we have really gone off topic!

·
Registered
23 Posts
pekem said:
Quite a long time ago I suffered intermittent DSC failure and the problem was remedied by the replacement of a loom in the engine compartment. In fact the actual issue was said to be a corroded contact and to be on the safe side the whole loom was replaced :)
Darn it!!

My intermittent fault with 'DSC UNAVAILABLE' has been re-occurring. Yesterday the car lurched into 'RESTRICTED PERFORMANCE' during overtaking- quite dangerous, if not somewhat humiliating!!

It does sound a bit like Pekem's problem- can you help with some suggestions as to where I should l ask my dealer to look to see if my XF has a similar contact/wiring fault??

·
Registered
107 Posts
It has been nice to try out all the options that I didn't order. (Xenons, Heated Steering wheel, Adaptive Cruise, rear sunblind, Blind spot monitor, B&W, Voice, TV, DAB etc.). ACC can be too sensitive, especially if there is a curve on the motorway and it detects traffic in another lane. All options nice to have, but I think the only option worth the cash are Xenons and possibly the heated wheel

Sorry to be 'off topic' again but can you let me know your views on the DAB? Particularly interested if you normally listen to MW on your own car.
Many thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
My XF is almost 6 months old and just about to turn 10,0000 miles, and got my first 'Restricted Performance - DSC not working'. Used the Bill Gates / Microsoft remedy of swith off and reboot, and no problems since - 200 more miles. Will update if anything further develops.

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
XF Long Wait said:
It has been nice to try out all the options that I didn't order. (Xenons, Heated Steering wheel, Adaptive Cruise, rear sunblind, Blind spot monitor, B&W, Voice, TV, DAB etc.). ACC can be too sensitive, especially if there is a curve on the motorway and it detects traffic in another lane. All options nice to have, but I think the only option worth the cash are Xenons and possibly the heated wheel

Sorry to be 'off topic' again but can you let me know your views on the DAB? Particularly interested if you normally listen to MW on your own car.
Many thanks

If a view is to be expressed about the DAB radio please post it in the more appropriate thread, found [email protected]
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=946

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
XF-UXB said:
pekem said:
Darn it!!

My intermittent fault with 'DSC UNAVAILABLE' has been re-occurring. Yesterday the car lurched into 'RESTRICTED PERFORMANCE' during overtaking- quite dangerous, if not somewhat humiliating!!

It does sound a bit like Pekem's problem- can you help with some suggestions as to where I should l ask my dealer to look to see if my XF has a similar contact/wiring fault??
My fault was found by the dealer Technician at the second attempt. First time round I think that a less experienced person had a go and expressed the view that the problem was probably due to me rotating the gear selector too fast :shock:
You will not cause offence by simply referring the dealer to this thread :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Update on 'DSC UNAVAILABLE-RESTRICTED PERFORMANCE'

Basically this problem has plagued my XF from new, and resulted in several trips to a unsympathetic dealer, where the fault has been mis-interpreted as 'DPF FULL' and on 2 occasions has compromised safety (both during necessary acceleration, e.g. merging with motorway traffic).

This week the warning came on and persisted (usually I could solve the problem by switching off and restarting). My RIDICULOUS local dealer (sorry for another 'rant' Pekem- but rest assured they've lost my business) said they were 'too busy' to help me and that I should call out Jaguar Assist.

I managed to over-ride that 'helpful' advice by a quick personal trip to the Dealer Principal's office. After 2 days in the workshop they say the problem was a faulty sensor in the DPF which was tripping the DSC/Restricted Performance algorthim. The Sensor has been replaced under warranty.

Fingers crossed (again)- will update.....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Got a a sudden loss of power in my XF on route to work this morning, ''restricted performance'' appeared on screen, managed to get to work. Rang my Jaguar dealer, they advised me to contact Jauar Assistance as they were busy and have no courtesy cars available.

Jaguar Assistance found via diagnostic computer - ''restricted performance & engine malfunction light on'' (was not on during drive to work) DTC P006A-00 map correlation, P00BD-07 Mass, the technician also checked air flow & P0235-94 turbocharger boost sensor, checked intake pipes, no obvious leaks.

My car is now in the dealers, I have a brand new xf hire car for my troubles :)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Just got my first Red "Restricted Performance" this morning. Carried onto work for 4 miles.

Rang dealer and was instructed to ring Jaguar Assist. Did just that and a dedicated engineer turned up within 30 minutes.

Diagnosis:
P2203.77 - 35,821miles turbo inlet valve stuck closed 100%
P22CF.71 - 35,821miles turbo inlet valve control circuit 44%

Now have to drop it off at the dealer and pick up a courtesy car this eve on my way home.

At least it happened with 3 months of the manufacturer's warranty left!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts