XF Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to replace the battery, has anybody done this yet ? what did you go for ? the common part number is an 019 for most of the brands but i would not mind forking out a bit more for a really good one, the car is stuffed with electronics. any thoughts

·
Registered
14 Posts
i need to replace the battery, has anybody done this yet ? what did you go for ? the common part number is an 019 for most of the brands but i would not mind forking out a bit more for a really good one, the car is stuffed with electronics. any thoughts

Good eve my friend, just to let you know that when the battery is replaced it will need to have the amp hour counter reset via the SDD , to let the car know that there is a new battery fitted :D

Respect
Dave

·
Registered
25 Posts
morning psychogit,
i will probably need a new battery in the near future. what is and where is the amp hour counter and what is a "SDD". i had my old battery out of the car for full charging and did not need a "reset". can a person carry out the procedure at home as you mention above? are codes required?

tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good afternoon Tom, in basic terms the battery monitor system does what it says and in certain conditions when the voltage is to low will send messages out which then in turn will put a display up on your touchscreen asking for certain stuff to turn off, also when the car is runing/driving it monitors and lets the relevent ECU know so that it can tell whether to put more charge into the battery or not.....also every now and then it will also instigate a calibration where it will bring the battery up to full charge when this is achieved it will bring it back down to ,i think from memory around 75% of the charge, once this is achieved goes back up to full charge, in saying all that it is dependent on how often the car is driven for the procedure to carry out the self calibration,meaning if only short drives are carried out it will take far longer to self calibrate than if your doing 100 miles each way on a singlr journey each day, so basicaly the monitor system needs to know when a new battery is fitted to calculate when to do all this, just so if you fit a battery in the morning it isn't gunner know and might start a calibration an hour later....

SDD is Jaguars diagnostic system or..... Symptom Driven Diagnosis-SDD this will be required to reset the monitor system but only if the battery is replaced for a new one.

I hope that spreads a little light on the system.

Respect

Dave :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
replaced my battery today with a Bosch S5 091 from costco, it cost me £92 inc vat and has a 4 year guarantee. its also 30amps more than the original which after 4 years was getting less punchy in these cold mornings. i have read a few items in the forum about resets and battery codes when you do this but just wanted to let you all know that none of this happens. all that happens that i have noticed is that the 3 mpg setting have gone back to zero and thats it. it took me about 30 minutes.

G

·
I read somewhere that the battery monitor does a calibration about every 6 months. It just depends where abouts you are in the cycle at the moment as to when it will happen.

G

·
Just found this:

The Battery Monitor System (BMS) is new to Jaguar
and introduced on the 2009 XF. The BMS module is
mounted to the negative battery terminal and is integral
to the negative battery cable. The BMS module communicates
with the engine control module (ECM) via LIN
and CAN bus networks.

Does "introduced on the 2009 XF" mean that an 01/04/2008 2.7D didn't have a BMS?:confused:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had to get my car recovered on a tilt-bed last Thursday. Some joker's idea of fun letting the air out of 2 tyres. Anyhoo, on Friday morning the car wouldn't start due to a flat battery???? I connected my booster cables up to my wife's Mini and left if getting charged from there for 15 minutes so and the Jag started up fine but the info centre was going berserk with messages like 'Key fob battery low,' 'Press footbrake and apply handbrake'. I connect my little battery charger and left it on for charge overnight. As a precaution I measured the voltage of the key fob and it was OK at 3.2 volts. After all that charging I was still getting the messages so I resorted to the old BMW trick of disconnecting the battery and touching both cable together for 10 seconds or so and on reconnecting everything was back to normal.

The question is, why did the battery flatten. I did have a similar problem once before when my wife got our BMW got towed for parking on a double yellow and the dat after the battery was flat. Any ideas?

Art

·
Administrator
22,567 Posts
My car was in the dealers recently to have the upgrade done. Whilst there a technician for whatever reason fiddled with the light control stork, moving it off Auto. I drove home and in to the garage and as usual used the auto headlights to assist me park. My habit is to use the illumination from the lights, before they automatically cut off after 30 seconds, to identify the garage key and then close the door and lock up.
Two days later I went to the garage to get the car out and yes, you have guessed it, the battery was flat. Why :?: Simple, when I drove in to the garage the lights were on as usual but of course they were not on Auto any longer and consequently they remained on after I had closed the garage door.
Jaguar Assistance sorted me out quickly and efficiently and I learnt the lesson, check that the settings have not been changed after it comes out of a dealers workshop :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Battery Monitor System

Good afternoon Tom, in basic terms the battery monitor system does what it says and in certain conditions when the voltage is to low will send messages out which then in turn will put a display up on your touchscreen asking for certain stuff to turn off, also when the car is runing/driving it monitors and lets the relevent ECU know so that it can tell whether to put more charge into the battery or not.....also every now and then it will also instigate a calibration where it will bring the battery up to full charge when this is achieved it will bring it back down to ,i think from memory around 75% of the charge, once this is achieved goes back up to full charge, in saying all that it is dependent on how often the car is driven for the procedure to carry out the self calibration,meaning if only short drives are carried out it will take far longer to self calibrate than if your doing 100 miles each way on a singlr journey each day, so basicaly the monitor system needs to know when a new battery is fitted to calculate when to do all this, just so if you fit a battery in the morning it isn't gunner know and might start a calibration an hour later....

SDD is Jaguars diagnostic system or..... Symptom Driven Diagnosis-SDD this will be required to reset the monitor system but only if the battery is replaced for a new one.

I hope that spreads a little light on the system.

Respect

Dave :)
Does that mean that the system needs to be "told" if you change the capacity (Ah) of the battery - or does the system rely on simpler voltage/current measurements to predict charge state?

G

·
The BMS works out the capacity of the battery by doing a calibration twice a year (as described by psychogit above). This figure will decrease over the life cycle of the battery hence the need for calibration.

I guess that if you fitted a higher capacity battery then there wouldn't be a problem although it may not get fully charged until a calibration was carried out. If a lower capacity battery were fitted I can see a situation where the BMS would try to charge it beyond it's capacity.

·
Registered
144 Posts
That's really interesting!
With all that info, it would not be a big step for the car to "know" when its battery will be coming up for replacement - does anyone know if you get a warning message or something??? Could save the heartache of a breakdown!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts