XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a few marks on my wheels that look like spots of tar, but aren't. They're all about the size of 1p piece and Autoglym Custom Wheels won't touch them, neither will tar remover, so I've tried some Turtle Wax Wheel Polish and that's next to useless !!

Anybody got a suggestion for a product that will remove the spots ?

·
Registered
698 Posts
A photo might help? Do they stand proud of the paint? Have you tried a non-scratch kitchen scouring pad?

Might be paint from somewhere perhaps?

Hope you get sorted!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They do look like paint/tar spots and don't really stand proud as such. I'm loth to go to work with a scouring pad on a car that's just 3 months old.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
Never use any scouring on paint. Alloys are painted.

Probably any good quality wheel cleaner will work. If it is tar then I know Wurth's all purpose cleaner works. There are a ton of bug and tar removal products that will basically spray and rinse off.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Possibly try cellulose thinners but with quick brief dabs to see if it is an effective solvent for the blobs......

·
Registered
98 Posts
I assume you have tried a tar remover, you may just need it to dwell longer and attack whatever it is. Or automotive clay may help.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hadn't thought of clay ! - certainly tar remover and Turtle Wax alloy cleaner won't touch it. I've heard good reports regarding the Bilberry range, so I'll try that - just need a dry day now !!

Update - I've just ordered some Bilberry - due for delivery next week, so will see how that goes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
try bilberry range. use neat, leave for 5-10mins, agitate with brush, rinse. worth a try
Another vote for Bilberry wheel cleaner. Hope your problem is on the paint and not in the paint.

As your car is so young isn't it worth asking the dealer to sort it under warranty?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another vote for Bilberry wheel cleaner. Hope your problem is on the paint and not in the paint.

As your car is so young isn't it worth asking the dealer to sort it under warranty?
These marks have appeared in the last month or so - not a dealership issue I'm afraid. I've never had marks like this that wouldn't clean off with a bit of elbow grease - I'll see how the Bilberry product performs.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If it's that difficult to remove, I keep wondering if it's something that developed under the lacquer. I had similar on my previous car, a small nick in the lacquer caused the wheel to look like it was cleanable , however if was underneath, so untouchable.

·
Registered
57 Posts
And if it is under the lacquer on such a young car it could be a manufacturing fault, especially if it's on more than one wheel.....

·
Registered
698 Posts
Never use any scouring on paint. Alloys are painted.
Note, I was referring to the non-scouring kitchen sponge pads (white tops, not the dreaded green ones). I've use them to de-fly black metallic car fronts as well as the current white one with no scratching problems. Also, good for removing those annoying shoe scuff marks on the plastic base/side of ivory seats! :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Have you tried a fallout remover? I hope bilberry works for you, but I find it better as a general cleaner, and not so effective for stubborn marks. As said previously, a photo would help people to assess...

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is a really good site for detailing products

theultimatefinish.co.uk

Check out the Dodo juice supernatural tar / glue remover

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the weather finally relented and I've managed to carry out a general clean of the car and have a go at cleaning the marks off the wheels. I'm absolutely sold on Bilbery !! I used it in a 1:3 solution as recommended on the label and its cleaned all of the marks off - I didn't need to apply neat. I didn't even need to scrub, just applied, left for a few minutes and then jet washed off. It certainly worked better than the Autoglym Custom Wheels and the Turtle Wax product.

Thanks for the recommendations

·
Registered
98 Posts
Someone just recommended bilberry to me as I have baked on grime on my wheel barrels. Still to order it, you post just confirms his good it is. Thanks

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Someone just recommended bilberry to me as I have baked on grime on my wheel barrels. Still to order it, you post just confirms his good it is. Thanks
If you like the smell of rotten eggs, the same company makes a product called Dragon's Breath. I have tried both. They both work fine, but I can't say if one is better than the other. But Dragon's Breath keeps the wife away, while you are spending time with your car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts