XF Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if I am the only person who has had a small piece break away from the corner of the rear light housing (drivers side but it would equally apply to the near side as well).

The car was definately delivered with everything in tact, but I noticed a couple of weeks ago or so that the upper left corner (nearest the boot opening) had a 1-2cm corner missing. I took it to the local dealer this past weekend who said they couldn't claim under warranty but went halves with me on the cost - £70 each.

I have now had a thorough inspection of this area and I believe there is a design weakness. The corners are very thin plastic. If you look closely you can also see the manufacture join on this corner.

I know I haven't knocked it and it would be pretty hard to do so. The bootlid doesn't foul it either.

Before I take the matter further I would be interested to know if anyone else has experienced this problem.

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Sorry to read that twosheds :(
I haven't noticed anything wrong with mine but rest assured I will have a close look in the morning :eek:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pekem, much appreciated. You will hopefully see where I mean but don't put your finger behind the corner too much please!

Best wishes...

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Well I have looked at mine this morning and I have to say I that I couldn't see anything of concern.
That is not to say there isn't one; simply I can't see it. It would help if you would post a picture of the area so that we are all looking in the same place :?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Err, sorry but I don't have any means (or knowledge!) of how to do that!

All I can say is that if you look at the rear off side (drivers side) light at the back, the upper left hand corner nearest the boot opening is the weak area. It has very thin plastic behind it, plus a manufacturing join which may be weaking it further.

What is more, having washed the car with a sponge, no hose at all, water sits behind it, which on cold nights in winter cannot do it any good.

This corner is the one that broke off on mine, only a small 1cm-2cm triangle, but enough to need replacing :cry:

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
twosheds said:
Err, sorry but I don't have any means (or knowledge!) of how to do that!

All I can say is that if you look at the rear off side (drivers side) light at the back, the upper left hand corner nearest the boot opening is the weak area. It has very thin plastic behind it, plus a manufacturing join which may be weaking it further.

What is more, having washed the car with a sponge, no hose at all, water sits behind it, which on cold nights in winter cannot do it any good.
This corner is the one that broke off on mine, only a small 1cm-2cm triangle, but enough to need replacing :cry:
Well that can't be right and if I were you I would be back at the dealer and asking for it to be examined very carefully. Also, reading that; I would also be wanting my £70 back because I think you have a particular issue with your car :eek:

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
twosheds, have a look at these pictures of my light cluster and tell me A, is the part that you are concerned about in any of the pictures and B. can you see a problem with mine :?:
I have to say I was not able to detect joins in the lens.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pekem,

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to do these pictures - the problem with mine is on the top right hand corner of your first two pictures. I guess everyone else will have the same unit as well.

Basically, feel behind that top corner (carefully!) and you will find that it is a very thin edge, which had broken on mine. There is a manufacture join in that corner which on the whole I suspect is fine, but which I also suspect was part of or the cause of my problem. One minute I had a complete unit and the next it had broken... somehow. The car was definately fine when it was supplied by the dealer. It is not possible to knock this corner because in fact it is not in line with the boot opening edge. Whether repeated closing of the bootlid would exacerbate (good word!) an already present weakness is another consideration.

I repeat that having washed the car carefully in the last few days I have now discovered that water sits behind this edge. Whether some had frozen during one of the very cold snaps (the car lives outside) and contributed I do not know. In summary I think I have probably been unlucky with this but I am now keeping my eyes on this corner and its counterpart on the other side.

And yes, I have written to the Dealer Principal at my supplying dealer as the more I have studied and thought about all of this, the more I am convinced that it is nothing I have done, or indeed, that anyone else has done, including the dealership.

Thank you once again.

Twosheds.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes that is it.

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
I have detected that join you pointed to and mine does appear fine. I did notice that the entire edge, as it butts up against the body is protected by a flexible shield running the entire length of the lens assembly, starting at the top and running down. I am sure yours will be there but it crossed my mind that maybe it has been modified in some way on your car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts