XF Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice in the new xf brochure it states that a rear centre head restraint is a standard fit item across the range.

I've not noticed one of these before in the demo cars I've been in and wondered if this is a new addition or whether they are usually folded down to aid the view out of the rear window? I think it's a good thing to have the centre head restraint but wouldn't want the rear view restricted too much more.

Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
It is interesting that just looking through the online brochure in all the pictures taken of the car not one gives any clue that a centre headrest is present. You are right though, it does mention a centre headrest, along with the split seat, and perhaps it is stowed in the boot for fixing when needed. Also, oddly enough, not one of the pictures in the brochure showed a view of the rear seats etc that I could see.
I wonder if the proper brochure is very different :?:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pekem said:
It is interesting that just looking through the online brochure in all the pictures taken of the car not one gives any clue that a centre headrest is present. You are right though, it does mention a centre headrest, along with the split seat, and perhaps it is stowed in the boot for fixing when needed. Also, oddly enough, not one of the pictures in the brochure showed a view of the rear seats etc that I could see.
I wonder if the proper brochure is very different :?:
No, the paper brochure only shows the same pics as the e-brochure so no clues there I'm afraid. Am I right in thinking it's not currently a fitted item?

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Well I would have thought that if it was, then it would be apparent in at least one of the pictures featured in the brochure. I can see that the rear shots are not the best views for determining it, but I still think there would be a hint of a restraint if fitted.
And yes you are right, it is not currently fitted.

·
Registered
247 Posts
My dealer told me that the 3rd headrest was factory order only as the rear seat back was different with the extra mounting holes. It was not available from the launch of the car but was added later. It was available on the 2.7 and other late 2009 cars but the old brochure was not updated. In fact one of the cars I was offered had the 3rd head rest.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AndyB said:
My dealer told me that the 3rd headrest was factory order only as the rear seat back was different with the extra mounting holes. It was not available from the launch of the car but was added later. It was available on the 2.7 and other late 2009 cars but the old brochure was not updated. In fact one of the cars I was offered had the 3rd head rest.
Thanks Andy, that's interesting to hear, as I said I've not seen one. I'm guessing it must hinder the rear view a little, did you notice this?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I didn't actually sit in the car with the 3rd rear head rest as it was available from another dealer in the same group. However, it was on my short list of cars with the spec / colour and options I wanted. (front sensors & camera plus Carelia's). Hence the reason for asking the dealer lots of questions about the car. He did say that the headrest was removable, so I guess if you don't need it very often you could do that. If you phone around the dealer network near you, you may drop lucky and find one fitted that you could go and see.

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
AndyB said:
I didn't actually sit in the car with the 3rd rear head rest as it was available from another dealer in the same group. However, it was on my short list of cars with the spec / colour and options I wanted. (front sensors & camera plus Carelia's). Hence the reason for asking the dealer lots of questions about the car. He did say that the headrest was removable, so I guess if you don't need it very often you could do that. If you phone around the dealer network near you, you may drop lucky and find one fitted that you could go and see.

[b]XFAndy[/b] said:
I notice in the new xf brochure it states that a rear centre head restraint is a standard fit item across the range.
quote]
I don't understand this at all anymore. :? It is said that it is a fitted item, which is confirmed in the brochure. If that is so and it is removable, as I imagine it would be, why was the dealer not able to open the car's boot, a cupboard or whatever, and simply fit the one that came with the car.
Do you understand that the headrest is a fitted item only if specified at the outset :?:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My reading is that it's now a standard fitted item that doesn't need to be specifically specified. When I next speak to my dealer I'll ask the question.

Who would have thought that a relatively minor item could cause such discussion!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
My understanding is that it was an option on late 2008 / 2009 cars and as they are the only cars that dealers currently have you will have to ring around to find a car that has the option fitted if you want to see one. It may well be that it is a standard fitting on the 2010 model year cars that are available to order now. My dealer did say that it was removable but that the seat back was different to accommodate the extra headrest. Also, I would not believe everything you see in brochure photographs. They were almost certainly produced a few months ago and used last years car with some photo editing added later!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
AndyB said:
Also, I would not believe everything you see in brochure photographs. They were almost certainly produced a few months ago and used last years car with some photo editing added later!
The rear centre head restraint is listed under Interior Trim.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My Dec 08 PL doesn't have one, nor any obvious mounting holes for it. Dealer never mentioned as an option

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
KKman said:
My Dec 08 PL doesn't have one, nor any obvious mounting holes for it. Dealer never mentioned as an option
I think that is because it is only an option on the new 2010 models, launching next month :(

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
According to the brochure it is a standard feature on all 2009/10 models.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Saw this on Fifth Gear 'i-player' during a mini review of the XFR, there was an interior shot which showed the 3rd rear head restraint. This is the link:-

http://demand.five.tv/Episode.aspx?epis ... 5143730008

If you watch it, the relevant feature is approx 10 mins in.

I think it looks good and assume it can be raised when needed but clearly has to be kept low at other times to aid rear view. A good safety addition to the car

1 - 15 of 15 Posts