XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Paintwork Problem

I have an XF in Lunar Grey from new (last June) less than 12 months old and I cleaned it today and noticed that the small flarings at the back of the sills under the rear wheel arches and the front of the sills next to the front wheels were all stippled as though they were still dirty. When the sun reflects off then they look like they haven't been washed. I examined them carefully and noticed tiny pock marks in the paint. So I used some neat Diamond Brite Conserver to try and clean the paintwork up in case it was just stubborn dirt but it still looks dirty. I paid to have the car Diamond Brited when I bought it and so am very disschuffed that after less than 12 months the paintwork at the front and back of teh sills is shot.
Has anyone else had the same problem. Its really noticable, especially in the sun.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Re: Paintwork Problem

It does look like road rash, tiny stones effectively sand blast the area. Most manufacturers fit a clear plastic protective film in this area. That's pretty bad for less than a years use though. I'd talk to my dealer, I suspect your paint is soft.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

Diamondbrite will not protect paintwork against stone chips. If you can you talk your dealer into respraying the lower sills you could also get them to fit mudflaps, particularly the front pair which protect the sills.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts

Definately recomend the mud flaps, I have had them fitted since new and there is no sign of any damage to the paintwork. I bought them and fitted them myself, dead easy job. ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts

Same colour car, 3.0d PL, same age and same problem as you. I accepted this would be the case from the start however, flared side skirts are always going to suffer like this to one degree or another. I took the decision to keep the clean lines of the car and not fit mudguards, accepting that, in time, I'll need to get my local point guy to touch up the sills when they too scruffy or I sell the car......agree that Jag could have fitted some protective covers to this area, but it's a small issue (in my eyes) and not worth retro-fitting £500 sill covers (as I think I saw in a previous post)!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Paintwork Problem Chips on sills and so on.

I have developed a problem which can be seen in the attached picture. The affected area is at the rear of the sills in front of the rear wheel, which makes stone chips appear unlikely. In addition, rather than being pitted, the light coloured marks are seemingly attached almost like cement :eek:
This is something I have never previously encountered and is worsening over time. It affects both sills equally.

I do believe the marks will come off with the right treatment, but has anyone else encountered this issue and what might be the best remedy :?:

I would appreciate any advice :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: Sill damage

Looks like it is the result of stonechipping. The flat area of the wheel arch appears to be unaffected,but the area forward of that, which is slightly concave will be prone to being struck by muck that's thrown up by the front tyres. I used to have a Volvo V70 which would have suffered the same damage, but for the fact that the car was fitted with clear plastic paint protection film pads which would obviously prevent the paint damage. I've noticed the same type of material fitted as standard to Mercedes & some VW/Audi models too. I guess it's just down to the contours of the body that would make the problem affect some cars more than others. It should be possible to buy the protective pads to stick over the affected areas. I would be happy to make some for you (among other things that I do for a living, I apply these films to some vehicles when asked to). Only problem; I don't yet have an XF so wouldn't be able to design the correct outline for the affected area. However, If you Google "vehicle paint protection film" or "stonechip protection" or similar, you'll probably come across a few companies who can sell you the kit to do the job. It's easy enough to apply - just ensure it's clean & degreased beforehand & make sure you don't touch the adhesive side, otherwise your fingerprints will be indelibly displayed forever on the side of your gleaming motor!

Best of luck...

G

·
0 Posts

Hi Raregrin,

My sills look identical to yours. I also thought that it was something stuck to the paintwork but a closer inspection revealed that it was stone damage. The solution is either a respray or chip repair & then the application of paint protection film to prevent future damage.

If you check any XF that's done a few miles you will find this problem though visually it is more apparent on the darker colours.

Great pictures of Wales :)

Gemset

Are you back in the SOV tomorrow?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts

Thank you both :)

It does seem odd if it is stone damage as it is only the rear part of the sills that is affected ; behind the front wheels is fine. Perhaps it is just the shape of the sills at that point :?

It will be interesting to see if all XFs are similarly affected.

P.S. Yes I am in the SOV tomorrow, which does not have sills - fortunately ;)

·
Registered
1,411 Posts

I have had my XF for 19 months, and have no sign of sill damage, but I have had the splash guards fitted since new, they must have helped. ;)

·
Registered
260 Posts

Hello,

My sills are the same, car when bought had 12500 miles on it and both side panels on that section are bebbledashed.

I bought two spare ultimate black side skirts for maybe replacement in the future :)

Cheers
Steven

·
Registered
550 Posts

Yep, mine are the same too. Had the same problem on my XK before that, which I had resprayed.

I think the paint protection film is probably the only option.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts

It is, in some ways, a comfort to learn that others have the same problem. Surely it cannot merely be the shape of the sill at this point or even soft paint that is responsible. Strangely, I do not have a single stone chip to my XF anywhere else but in this one particular area, which is very badly affected on both sills at the same place, as you can see from the picture.

One would generally consider chips to occur more to the rear of the wheels than to the front. Hmmm :?
Now where's that white coat and clipboard ;)

·
Administrator
22,471 Posts

raregrin said:
It is, in some ways, a comfort to learn that others have the same problem. Surely it cannot merely be the shape of the sill at this point or even soft paint that is responsible. Strangely, I do not have a single stone chip to my XF anywhere else but in this one particular area, which is very badly affected on both sills at the same place, as you can see from the picture.

One would generally consider chips to occur more to the rear of the wheels than to the front. Hmmm :?
Now where's that white coat and clipboard ;)
raregrin, as I posted on Facebook, I am not persuaded that the damage is inevitably connected with the design of the car or the paint.
I too have now traveled around 30,000 miles in an XF, without the dubious benefit of mudguards, and there is no evidence of any similar damage.
It crossed my mind that it might have been caused by a road maintenance vehicle or process. I can imagine that if a car is positioned in the line of spray from a gritting lorry or similar it might just inflict the marks you have. Don't know, just a thought :?
P.S. Before you say it, it's both sides so perhaps all of the above is all bxxxs

G

·
0 Posts

Very wet roads that have been recently gritted could be the culprit. Water containing grit is thrown up by the front wheels, the sill then hits the 'gritty 'water at whatever speed you are travelling at. A bit like sandblasting :eek:

·
Registered
1,412 Posts

I would happily accept the points made by Gemset and the bxxxs that pekem speaks if the damage was not confined a 6 inch area on the rear portion of both sills. That is what puzzles me and I would still be very grateful to hear the professional advice of Jay when he is back with us :)

However, at the risk of ostracism, I have been slightly naughty and applied a tiny amount of a propriety 'scratch remover' (normally reserved for SOV use only) to an even tinier part of the affected sills. The offending marks have all but come off - so perhaps my initial doubt about stone chips is correct :?

G

·
0 Posts

slightly naughty...............propriety 'scratch remover'

You don't mean T-CUT :eek: :eek: :eek:

That's like saying there's a bit of a bonfire in Iceland :!:

The Detailing Police are on their way :!:
(After they have snow-foamed, washed, clayed, polished, cleaned, lime-juiced, paint-sealed waxed & quick-detailed the Panda Car :lol: )

·
Registered
415 Posts

And here is the reason why! 55 microns is way too thin, should be around 120 microns.
See thread in technical section;
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3080

·
Registered
415 Posts

I agree although it is highly unlikely to be a one off. The finish is beautiful, people comment on how good it looks and you wouldn't know it was thin if you didn't measure the thickness with a guage. But looking at the sill damage on other cars I think it is probably typical. The thickness varies wildly all over the car but the doors are only around mid 60 microns. Unless Jaguar are using some kind of revolutionary paint I think they have been cutting costs, if so this is a step too far.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts