XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2.7 Diesel fitted with the standard audio system.

I have a problem with the radio.

When driving, especially in London suburbs, I get interruptions from other radio stations. These interruptions last only for about a second or so but in that time manage to spoil the music I'm listening to.

Any ideas how this problem can be cured?

Eenie

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Eenie
Sounds like possibly you have the traffic information on which when a radio station gives out info will auomatically change to that station .If not it may be seeking for a stronger signal and it scans the frequency which means a short break before resuming.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your very quick response.

I thought that it might be the traffic announcements interfering in some way, so I turned off the TA & the problem remained.

I guess your second suggestion must be the reason.

I'm surprised that no-one else has complained. Is it really just me?

Do you know if there's a cure?

Thanks

Eenie

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

I was out again yesterday evening travelling from Wimbledon to Putney High Street. My wife listened to the Archers (no accounting for taste). During the 15 minutes there were 6 interruptions. It's really spoils enjoying the otherwise lovely audio system.

I am alone with this problem?

Eenie

·
Registered
306 Posts
I assume you were meaning that there were six interuptions on the radio, not from your wife :eek:

Sorry... ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
hi eenie
it sounds like a signal strength issue and the radio is trying to search for a stronger signal.The aerial is intergrated into rear screen and runs in conjunction with a amplifier.So if fault with aerial system that could cause problem.Check with a dealer and compare if possible with another xf.

·
Registered
102 Posts
There are a number of settings which may make a difference. See below for an extract from the handbook.

As you drive into different radio reception
areas, RDS automatically retunes the radio to
the strongest signal. The Regional (REG)
option stops the system from tuning to another
local radio station with a stronger signal.
From the Options menu, you can switch the
REG option On or Off. With REG on, your
selected local radio station will remain tuned
even if reception levels drop.

Alternative frequency (AF)
Some radio stations broadcast on different
frequencies in different parts of the country. If
the selected station signal weakens, the radio
will automatically re-tune to a stronger
alternative frequency (AF), if one is available
(this feature is particularly useful on long
journeys where the vehicle travels through
different transmitter areas serving the same
radio station).
From the Options menu, you can switch AF On
or Off.

Enhanced other networks (EON)
The Enhanced Other Network (EON) option will
tune to any radio station on the same station
network as the one that you are listening to, if
the signal becomes weak.
Either local (Local) or distant (Dist.) networks
can be enabled on the Options menu, or the
option can be switched Off.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Not sure if Eenie is still around - if so, did you resolve?

If not is anyone else having this issue?

I've noticed it a few times too. The radio is tuned to Radio 4, listening to a programme containing speech, when I suddenly get a very short burst of music - less than a second, so not enough to detect the source or even the tune, but definately a music broadcast. Happened 3 times on a 2 hour up the M5 this evening.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to say that I have not been able to resolve this issue.

Regrettably the radio is worst I have had in any car in 40 years of motoring.

As it happens, my car is once again at the garage where they are trying to sort it out. This is the third time in 5 months.

I'll get back to the forum if they are successful.

Eenie

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm awaiting the delivery of my XF in early April. As I spend most of my time listening to the radio, I am more than a little concerned by your views on this radio.

Does anyone else have these problems? Or does Eenie have a rogue installation that his dealer can't work out how to fix yet?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Having posted on this issue previously, I have been taking more notice of it of late and have come to the conclusion that it only happens when listening to Radio 4.

I wonder whether I am picking up a transmission from a neighbouring in-car fm transmittter (that people use to link i-pods and MP3 players to their car audio) which often operate on a similar frequency?

·
Registered
102 Posts
You know I get this every evening on the way home. I travel from Leek to Telford, and when I get to Wetley rocks (I could probably pinpoint it to 50 yards), I get a quick burst of loud music.

Has happened every day since I had the car, mostly from Radio 2 or Radio 4 (yes, I know, getting on a bit, it has happened on other journeys but not enough to bother me too much.

S.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I am certain that the problem is not with the radio. There are a lot of radio transmitters around (legal or otherwise) and if the frequency is the same or very close to the station chosen i.e. Radio 4 for example an effect known as the “Capture effect” will cause the wanted station to be lost in preference to the locally stronger station (not wanted).As you drive through areas such as SW London this problem will manifest itself.
One possible solution is to manually tune to another Radio 4 frequency which is strong enough for good reception and note the difference on the troublesome journey. Also try another portable radio inside the car on Radio 4 to confirm that that suffers the same symptoms will eliminate the XF radio but bear in mind the received signal won’t be as strong so not conclusive.
As has been stated modern radio receivers suffer more from this because they are more sensitive and this coupled with the increase in transmitters all trying to find a place in the allotted band doesn’t help.
If the radio only suffers in a few geographical locations and is ok at others suspect the above and this will explain why the dealers cannot pinpoint the fault.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm sure Selseymech must be right. (But how is it that I never had this problem in 11 years of Lexus driving???)

Anyway, a friend has the same problem with the radio in his Porsche.

Last month, my XF had a transmission problem and was back at the dealers for nearly 2 weeks. Jaguar supplied an X Type as a replacement vehicle. I had the same problem with the radio in that car.

My surprise is that that so few members of this Forum are experiencing this problem. Surely it affects all standard radios.

My disappointment is that Jaguar does not care. The excellent manager of my local Stratstone service centre wrote that he was contacting Jaguar about this problem. I have never heard again from him. I've given up waiting!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I suspect that quite a number either have Portfolio cars or the B&W option fitted so listen on DAB

·
Registered
44 Posts
Risotto said:
I'm awaiting the delivery of my XF in early April. As I spend most of my time listening to the radio, I am more than a little concerned by your views on this radio.

Does anyone else have these problems? Or does Eenie have a rogue installation that his dealer can't work out how to fix yet?
I listen to Radio 4 almost constantly ...with occasional bursts from my ipod, but that's a different thread ;-)

I've never had a problem with either my XF (owned since november '09) or the X-type I had for 6 years previously. In fact the radios in both were/are noticeably better than in other family-owned cars --admittedly non-luxury models.

Maybe the issue arises more in London with the large number of 'pirate' radios there that broadcast on illegal frequencies?

K.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Eenie said:
I'm sure Selseymech must be right. (But how is it that I never had this problem in 11 years of Lexus driving???)

Anyway, a friend has the same problem with the radio in his Porsche.

Last month, my XF had a transmission problem and was back at the dealers for nearly 2 weeks. Jaguar supplied an X Type as a replacement vehicle. I had the same problem with the radio in that car.

My surprise is that that so few members of this Forum are experiencing this problem. Surely it affects all standard radios.

My disappointment is that Jaguar does not care. The excellent manager of my local Stratstone service centre wrote that he was contacting Jaguar about this problem. I have never heard again from him. I've given up waiting!

Mine is a standard radio, apart from ipod link as opposed to CD changer. No problems ..see above. Many rogue stations in Chigwell?

K.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've got a B&W radio and same thing happens to me in one specific point every day at the same time but no worried about it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi
I have the 320W radio, with a DAB as an extra, and the only issue I have is news/traffic bulletins cutting in regularly(yes I have selected that option) but don't get the interruptions from nearby/stronger stations, just because they can. One issue I do have is the lack of automatic volume increase with speed (which I belive is a feature), I find myself doing this manually.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts