1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello There

2010 Jaguar XF 3.0 TDV6

I have just got the above vehicle.

Is it true that the radiator cooling fan has to be on for the air con to be cooling? With the temperature set to low and with maximum fan speed the radiator cooling fan does not come on.....

Also, after the engine is warmed up and I leave the vehicle stationary for 15 minutes the fan still does not kick in. But there are no warning messages saying that the engine is overheating? How long does it normally take for the fan to kick in when stationary?

I know that the usual life expectancy of a similar fan on a Rover 75 is 60,000 to 70,000 miles. Is this typical for Jaguar XF?

So, if I get the cooling fan replaced / up and running will the air con spring back to life (assuming it is fully gassed and has no leaks?)

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
767 Posts
The air con works independently of the radiator cooling fan, the only thing they have in common is that the engine has to be running for air con and hot for fan, think it's a electric fan so it can run when ignition is turned of to cool radiator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that it should be from cold start:

Aircon = off. Cooling fan = off

Aircon = max cool. Cooling fan = on

What do you think?

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
Compressor is turning
Are you sure? The pulley turns all the time but the compressor only kicks in when an electromagnetic clutch connects the pulley to the compressor shaft. This CDN be tricky to,observe.

Radiator fan should run when the compressor runs. The same relay activates both, separate from the cooling system relay, at least if Jaguar uses the same system as other makers.

If your AC is not up to pressure or is over pressuring then neither the compressor nor the radiator ran will run.

The cooling circuit activates the radiator fan only when the engine gets hotter than specified.

·
Registered
187 Posts
There may also be some tie in to the electrics, if the battery management system senses the current draw is too high then it stops some systems kicking in.

·
Registered
415 Posts
My air-con is permanently on, but the radiator fan almost never kicks in.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
My air-con is permanently on, but the radiator fan almost never kicks in.
Your ac may be on but it won't be active unless cooling is called for. When the compressor kicks in then the rad fan does also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
An update to this.

The air conditioning system had low pressure. Both the compressor and cooling fan came on when the air conditioning system was being recharged. Now ice cold. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there new on here I have a Jaguar XF 2010 275 bhp model and I was wondering if anyone new the oem compressor number as I need to buy a new one. Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts