XF Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my XF, the dealer altered something in the car (on my request) so that I have daylight running lights as I think they are called. So that I've got my lights on during daytime, without having to think about them. I put the light switch to Auto and the lights are always on when I start the car. However, the lights at the back aren't activated. Only when I'm driving in the dark, I get this indication message on my dashboard that the light sensor has activated my lights and I suppose that my front and rear lights are on from that moment.
My question: when the daylight running lights are activated, is it correct that only the lights at front are supposed to shine?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, the manual states:-
Daylight running lamps
In certain countries it is a legal requirement for
the lamps to be on during the hours of daylight.
With the rotary collar in the OFF position, low
beam headlamps, side lamps, tail, number
plate lamps and, where fitted, side marker
lamps will switch on automatically with the
following conditions:
! The ignition is on (market dependent).
! The vehicle gear selector out of park.
! The park brake is not applied (is released).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I started driving around in the Off mode of the light switch. But when I got to drive in the dark, the dashboard light stayed off, so it wasn't possible to see the meters etc. That's why I switched to the Auto mode of the light dail switch.

I would prefer it like it was in my Volvo: always my front and rear lights on, including the dashboard lights, without having to think which switch I have to check or activate.

With Auto mode and the DLR it all works fine with the front lights. But what about the rear lights, are they supposed to be on as well with DLR?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mindbrother said:
With Auto mode and the DLR it all works fine with the front lights. But what about the rear lights, are they supposed to be on as well with DLR?
Anyone?

·
Registered
251 Posts
As Pekem pointed out to me I should know this since I live in the country that was the first to mandate daytime running lights back in 1977.

Anyway, here is what I know:
The law about daytime running lights in Sweden (and in the EU from 2011) only requires forward lighting.

In the beginning (Volvo introduced this in 1975) cars usually had special DRLs with lower power than the low-beam headlamps which turned off when the headlamps turned on. These DLRs did not include rear lights. Apparently car manufacturers thought that this was an expensive solution to retrofit to cars imported to Sweden so gradually they just used the normal low-beams (with the accompanying rear lights) instead. This way, all they needed to do was to add a bit of wiring and a fuse to their cars' default spec.

Lately, the advent of Xenon lights seems to have changed this. It might be that manufacturers are afraid that running your Xenons at all times might shorten their lifespan. Alternatively, they are concerned that running your low-beams at all times has too large an impact on your car's fuel economy (or carbon emissions).

In any case, over the last couple of years more and more cars now come with dedicated DLRs, usually low-power LEDs. In Sweden most of these will also include rear lights when the switch is set to "Auto". I know that at least my Audi does.
Unfortunately I still have to wait another four weeks to find out if the XF does the same here, since I have just got a delivery date of July 16th. I must admit that I haven't paid close enough attention to the lights on my test drives.

Anyway, the law (present of future as the case may be) only requires front lighting.
The usual implementation, though, is that both front and rear lights are lit. At least in Sweden.

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Thank you xfswede and by the way, welcome to the forum :)
I missed your other post, below, which again provides valuable insight in to the legalities of a subject.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1011&p=8795#p8795

I would bet that the rear lights are designed to remain off because it would be consistent with Jaguar's policy, particularly after accepting a large sum of EU money, to develop a greener vehicle.
No doubt someone somewhere will have calculated the carbon saving achievable if all rear lights, running in the day time are switched off :)

P.S. xfswede I have corrected an oversight and added you to the Roll of Honour;enjoy the wait @ viewtopic.php?f=25&t=707&p=5335#p5335

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your reply, Xfswede. I've have had 4 Volvo's and I never had to bother about instrument and front/rear lights and switching something on or off.

And Pekem, you're early this morning! :)

I have re-read the manual and from that I think it works like this:
with the Lights switch at Off, the DLR function activates all lights, including the rear lights (I haven't checked this yet, but its written in the manual). But, this won't activate the instrument panel lights. So when driving into a darker place or at night, you'll have to change the Lights switch to 'Side Lamps' or 'Autolamps' position.

When using 'Side Lamps' I've got all lights on, external and instrument panel, but you'll have to think about switching this on when you park and leave the car, otherwise you'll get a battery problem.

When using 'Autolamps', all lights work well but the DLR function doesn't make the rear lights going on during daytime (at least, with my XF...). When it's getting dark, they will illuminate (as this is the normal Autolamps implementation). In the manual there is no information about how Autolamps works together with the DLR function. DLR function is only explained in combination with the Off position of the lights switch.

So it seems that having it all the way without having to pull any switch (DLR with rear lights, instrument panel lit when necessary) like it was with my Volvo's isn't possible with the XF. Unless... Xfswede has a different experience when he get's his XF. Good luck with the coming 4 weeks, they will feel long, passing slowly... ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts