XF Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone and Happy New Year,

Flanker's unhappy experience in California reminds me of something that has not been discussed here previously, but is in the manual [which I keep in the car :) ]

In order top place the car in neutral with the engine off, one has to break things open with a screwdriver. In other cars, like my last one, a Lexus, there is an override button, which allows the driver, with the engine off, to change the position of the gear lever, and thus get it into neutral. Obviously the Jaguar gear selector is an electronic control, and therefore different, but perhaps it is not beyond the wit of Jaguar development engineers to put some switch in which allows neutral to be selected when the car is parked with engine off, in the twenty-ten [2010] model.

My reason for thinking about this is not related to Flanker's issues, but the drive of my house is on a slight downward slope, and sometimes I want to move the car by a yard up or down. As we all know, in the XF you have to start the engine to get the selector to raise, and therefore move it a few inches. In other automatics of a similar class, you can select neutral, and push the car, or let it roll.

Oh well . . . . wait and see . . I do now have further knowledge should my car ever need to be towed.

Tony

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have to add my vote to this one! As an avid DIYer, my garage is my workshop, and kitted out accordingly. I often need a bit more space (or want to hammer on the bench near my precious paint finish!) and with my 330i, I could easily roll it a meter or two out of the danger zone.

I need to move the XF so often that I've considered making the EPB overide cover more easily detachable. And what a schlepp when "detailing" the wheels. It's so handy to roll a half-wheel circumference to get everything clean. But I hate getting into the car in my "working" clothes just to move it a few feet ...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts