XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple of weeks ago at 7am, half an hour before I needed to leave for the airport, I discovered that one of my rear (Pirelli) tyres was flat. I have 18 inch venus wheels and on investigation there is no spare. Instead Jaguar provide a repair kit and mini compressor, which is not the easiest thing in the world to use. Worse having been forced into using it (no local tyre places open at 7am!), got to the airport, completed my trip returned home, took car to tyre depot to be told cant now be repaired if the goo in the repair kit has been used. Result - £225 for a new Pirelli (punctured one had only done 7000 sedate miles).
Even worse, reading the manual I am now supposed to purchase a new container of goo and a new compressor hose !! :evil:

·
Registered
216 Posts
i had the same prob a few months ago and it's a faff to say the least. didn't use the goo in case the tyre was repairable, just kept pumping it up. turns out it wasn't repairable but i still didn't use the goo.

i keep meaning to buy a venus alloy off ebay and stick a partworn tyre on it for use in an emergency but haven't got round to it yet.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bob said:
i had the same prob a few months ago and it's a faff to say the least. didn't use the goo in case the tyre was repairable, just kept pumping it up. turns out it wasn't repairable but i still didn't use the goo.

i keep meaning to buy a venus alloy off ebay and stick a partworn tyre on it for use in an emergency but haven't got round to it yet.
Forced to use the goo as the air was coming out nearly as quickly as I was pumping it in!

Good plan on the part worn on an ebay wheel - must look into that.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Did you shop around for a repair? Seems some places are happy to clean outand repair a tyre that has had tyre goo used on it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Making me feel better about forking out for that alloy spare, and it's a very fetching shade of orange!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mbrock said:
Making me feel better about forking out for that alloy spare, and it's a very fetching shade of orange!
Did you order the (spacesaver?) spare with the car?. Can you reveal what was the cost?

Still think Bob's solution of a s/hand full size with part worn tyre might be the best solution.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Interesting that the full-size tyre and wheel will actually fit in the space where the space saver goes - is that actually right?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steamdreamer said:
Interesting that the full-size tyre and wheel will actually fit in the space where the space saver goes - is that actually right?
To be honest havent measure it but it is pretty deep. Will measure this weekend !!

·
Registered
204 Posts
andrewll said:
mbrock said:
Did you order the (spacesaver?) spare with the car?. Can you reveal what was the cost?

Still think Bob's solution of a s/hand full size with part worn tyre might be the best solution.
Yes, it was £132 so the cheapest option I ordered! I can sell you an 18in Aruba left over from my X-Type, complete with 225/40x18 P Zero Nero. Wrong size tyre and it is (very slightly) bent after a pothole encounter, but hey it's only a spare! :lol:

Mark

·
Registered
216 Posts
my plan was to keep the tyre/wheel combo in the garage along with my trolley jack tbh.

i happen to have a full-size pzero rosso in the garage without a wheel. give me a 5 mins and i'll report back on how well it fits in the recess:)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Do the models shipping with tyre repair system still also have a jack and wheel brace included?

There are a number of 2nd hand spacesavers on ebay - what size would I need to ensure compatability with the standard 18" wheels?

·
Registered
216 Posts
here you go - bear in mind this is with the recess trim in place, and darkness - the boot floor sits about an inch higher than it would normally, but i think it might be flusher with more pushing and shoving.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thanks bob - it doesn't fit then! Presumably it wouldn't fit even more if it were the whole wheel and not just the tyre. ;)

I think I'll stick with the spacesaver, though I once nearly went mad having to drive back 900 miles from the Pyrenees with one of those at 50/55 mph max. The only - very minor - good thing about it was that I got sensational fuel consumption as well as an awful lot of funny looks.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Steamdreamer said:
Thanks bob - it doesn't fit then! Presumably it wouldn't fit even more if it were the whole wheel and not just the tyre. ;)

I think I'll stick with the spacesaver, though I once nearly went mad having to drive back 900 miles from the Pyrenees with one of those at 50/55 mph max. The only - very minor - good thing about it was that I got sensational fuel consumption as well as an awful lot of funny looks.
9oo miles and never passed a tyre dealer? :eek:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have had the same experience with a puncture, only the car was off the road for 2 days while a suitable replacement tyre could be found!

As a result I bought a spare Venus wheel on Ebay for £100, and fitted a tyre to it. My other rear tyre (the non punctured one) is now just about illegal on tread depth, so I am about to swap it with the spare and keep the worn tyre and wheel as the spare.
I bought a jack with a 2 ton limit for £7 in Halfords, and a wheel nut wrench is about £1.50 from Jaguar. If you remove the wheel recess trim the whole lot fits neatly in the space.
I can't wait to have another puncture now! ;)

Martin

·
Registered
294 Posts
philayl said:
Steamdreamer said:

Well, not one open on Saturday afternoon and Sunday AND stocking the right size of tyre. The high spot was when we overtook a tractor on the approaches to Boulogne - oh, the excitement! :lol:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Steamdreamer said:
philayl said:
Steamdreamer said:

Well, not one open on Saturday afternoon and Sunday AND stocking the right size of tyre. The high spot was when we overtook a tractor on the approaches to Boulogne - oh, the excitement! :lol:
Should have borrowed one off the tractor! :D :D :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Coming late onto this thread but the spare wheel issue was one I worried about until getting the car. Didn't fancy being stuck with the goo and the pump somewhere in Europe, and worried that a "proper" spare wouldn't fit in the wheel well.
Well, now, worries dismissed. Bought a very slightly scuffed 19 Venus with a 245/45 tyre from eBay, and when you remove the black fluffy trim from the wheel well, it fits in perfectly, fully inflated, and with the goo and pump kit there too. Photo below to show.
The boot floor panel goes back flat (and incidentally I enjoyed the little red hook to keep the floor panel out of the way...). Now, one assumes a standard scissor jack and a wheel nut wrench can't be too hard to source from Halfords or similar?

G

·
0 Posts
I stopped using manufacturer supplied tyre sealants some years ago firstly because of the cost of the sealant & secondly because the tyre could not be repaired once sealant had been used.

Instead I used a product called Green Slime which not only works but is water soluble so can be washed out of the tyre before repair. At about £7 a bottle it is also very cheap compared to the stuff BMW sell. It comes with an applicator so there is no need to buy replacement hoses either.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts