XF Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
over the last couple of days Ive had a few problems with climate control and some dashboard lights

When I start the car in the morning Ive no heating / air con ect , but after a good drive with everything turned off ( about 30 mins) the heating comes back to life , also noticed this morning that the heated window didnt want to work - the light came on the dash ,but heated windscreen not working , then after a while it came back to life
When car first turned on the external temp gauge not working , - just shows . then after a bit it starts showing -40 then flickers between -40 and correct temp , before coming back to life and reading correctly
Took the car out last night and the speedo lights went off. and on a couple of times

as in the last few months I've done a lot of short journeys , so suspect the battery is low , getting a CTEK battery charger conditioner tomorrow , but is there anything else I should be checking?
TIA

·
Administrator
22,528 Posts
over the last couple of days Ive had a few problems with climate control and some dashboard lights

When I start the car in the morning Ive no heating / air con ect , but after a good drive with everything turned off ( about 30 mins) the heating comes back to life , also noticed this morning that the heated window didnt want to work - the light came on the dash ,but heated windscreen not working , then after a while it came back to life
When car first turned on the external temp gauge not working , - just shows . then after a bit it starts showing -40 then flickers between -40 and correct temp , before coming back to life and reading correctly
Took the car out last night and the speedo lights went off. and on a couple of times

as in the last few months I've done a lot of short journeys , so suspect the battery is low , getting a CTEK battery charger conditioner tomorrow , but is there anything else I should be checking?
TIA
Car is displaying all the symptoms of an XF with battery exhaustion. Suggest that you have the battery tested before buying a charger.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sounds to me like the typical sort of gremlins you can expect with a low battery.
I'm not too familiar with all the generations of XF and you haven't said which one you own, so read the manual carefully before slapping the CTEK across the battery terminals. Some models (or perhaps all...I don't know), have dedicated terminals for external charging.
Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds to me like the typical sort of gremlins you can expect with a low battery.
I'm not too familiar with all the generations of XF and you haven't said which one you own, so read the manual carefully before slapping the CTEK across the battery terminals. Some models (or perhaps all...I don't know), have dedicated terminals for external charging.
Let us know how you get on.
My Car is a 2015 model year Registered Sept 2014 XF 2.2 diesel Premium Luxury so was suspecting a battery problem on a 6 yr old battery -will stick it on the Ctek overnight and see what happens - The local garage is closed until the 4th Jan , will see how a good charge go's - according to everything Ive read , you connect +itve to the Large Battery * -itive to the earthing point on the body or alternatively the securing point for the spare wheel , if that fails will look at a new battery - the fact things come back to life after a good run out suggests others have said its a battery issue

·
Administrator
22,528 Posts
My Car is a 2015 model year Registered Sept 2014 XF 2.2 diesel Premium Luxury so was suspecting a battery problem on a 6 yr old battery -will stick it on the Ctek overnight and see what happens - The local garage is closed until the 4th Jan , will see how a good charge go's - according to everything Ive read , you connect +itve to the Large Battery * -itive to the earthing point on the body or alternatively the securing point for the spare wheel , if that fails will look at a new battery - the fact things come back to life after a good run out suggests others have said its a battery issue
You don’t mention it but the ECO Start/Stop system was always the first casualty of a low battery. Incredibly the suggested solution by the main dealer was to take the car for a longish run 🤣

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's been not working for a while , it often died when I was just using the car for work , and came back to life after a long run - the battery is taking charge at the moment so will see how we go this evening
about 2 weeks go , when I started the car , the rotating vents would stay shut and climate would be off , but i could turn it on (didn't usually notice until I was going down the road and it was either cold , or the windows steamed up) then since christmas eve the heating didnt work when I got in , but after a while it came back to life

1 - 6 of 6 Posts