XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previously in my diesel car I always went for the normal diesel as it was cheaper and didn't think it would make any difference.

Now I am about to get my first Jaguar - a new XF 3.0D S - and I was wondering if I should pay the extra and buy the premium diesel fuel - such as Shell's V-Power Diesel?

Has anyone any thoughts about this - either anecdotally or otherwise.

Especially in regard to keeping the engine cleaner, better fuel economy and more power.

Or not as the case maybe.

Sorry if someone has already asked this question but I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Many thanks

Daniel

·
Registered
171 Posts
Re: Premium Diesel Fuel

In my opinion, as long as you're using a good quality fuel from a retailer then there's nothing in it. I did have a which report from last year that compared standard and super diesel fuels and the differences were minimal. IIRC the super fuel produced slightly more CO2, slightly more power but less MPG, oh and it costs more!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts

When I first got mine I tried a tank of ordinary diesel, then a tank of premium, I could not tell any difference, either in performance or mpg. I'm not saying there wasn't any difference, but if there was, it was unnoticable in everyday driving.

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts

Isn't all about the additional additives in premium fuel which are said to be beneficial to the engine, particularly over time, which may eventually provide a MPG benefit :?:
Not, I would have thought, of much value if car is not kept much beyond 3/4 years

·
Registered
1,411 Posts

pekem said:
Isn't all about the additional additives in premium fuel which are said to be beneficial to the engine, particularly over time, which may eventually provide a MPG benefit :?:
Not, I would have thought, of much value if car is not kept much beyond 3/4 years
I'm sure good quality standard diesel, such as Shell, Esso, etc; will benefit your engine just as well, just stay away from questionable quality diesel and you should have no problems, I think these modern engines are designed to run on standard fuel without giving any problems in the future.

·
Registered
303 Posts

My XF is the most recent in 4 diesel powered cars.
I have only ever run it on BP Ultimate.
On previous cars I tried periods of running tankfulls of supermarket fuel, Shell V-Power & BP Ultimate.
I found Sainsbury’s fuel to have a noticeable drop in performance from everything else. Smoke was up too.
The others all performed the same, except the BP fuel.
I could always tell the difference on my commute when I changed back to BP Ultimate.
I have to say the difference was most noticeable on cars with turbo lag, with the fuel giving a boost to the engine pick up at low revs. Seeing as the XF has twin turbo’s, I would imagine this may not be as obvious.
I doubt if a drop in smoke would be applicable as the DPF works a treat.
All said, I’ll still run my car on BP Ultimate wherever possible as the benefit will be seen inside the engine with cleaner injectors and engine oil.

·
Registered
107 Posts

I use V Power Diesel but I think it is more psychological than anything. Not sure what the difference is in terms of quality but at least I think I am giving my XF the best!!

·
Registered
618 Posts

I started off with BP Ultimate for about 15 tanks and then moved on to standard. I didnt notice any fall in performance or MPG but what I did notice is that the DPF gives less issues with the round town driving than it did with the premium.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Modern vehicles are designed to be run on a variety of fuel types/ quality levels in the UK i.e. Esso, Shell, Tesco's, Morrison's etc. It shouldn't make any difference to the performance of your engine over a relatively short period of time (yrs). It's the octane rating that has the biggest effect over a long time for older types of engines. therefore, with a new XF, why bother paying the 'premium' for a fuel that doesn't make a jot of difference to its performance and costs you more in the long run unless you intend to keep the vehcile for an extended period of time?

I thought all UK fuels had to comply with a British Standard to gain certification?

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts

I think that it would be fair to allow BP to have their say on the matter :)

Why should I buy BP Ultimate Diesel?
Get more out of your vehicle, whatever the make or model. BP Ultimate Diesel has been designed to clean your engine, to give you more performance and less pollution.

Clean engines work better
Using BP Ultimate Diesel is a way of caring for your engine on the inside ...
Cleaner engine
BP Ultimate Diesel can get your engine cleaner and help keep it clean
More performance

Enjoy the benefits of more power, sharper acceleration and better fuel economy
Increased power
Sharper acceleration
Better fuel economy

Click on their site for the science :)
http://www.bp.com/subsection.do?categor ... Id=7009121

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

pekem said:
I think that it would be fair to allow BP to have their say on the matter :)

Why should I buy BP Ultimate Diesel?
Get more out of your vehicle, whatever the make or model. BP Ultimate Diesel has been designed to clean your engine, to give you more performance and less pollution.

Clean engines work better
Using BP Ultimate Diesel is a way of caring for your engine on the inside ...
Cleaner engine
BP Ultimate Diesel can get your engine cleaner and help keep it clean
More performance

Enjoy the benefits of more power, sharper acceleration and better fuel economy
Increased power
Sharper acceleration
Better fuel economy

Click on their site for the science :)
http://www.bp.com/subsection.do?categor ... Id=7009121
I suspect that is a load of hype that doesn't improve performance, engine life or fuel consumption. You are paying for extra additives that are not required.

·
Registered
618 Posts

If you have a high performance petrol car (and I mean high performance not just big engine) then Shell V-power is a must and makes a big difference.

In a diesel car like the XF (even the S) it is not highly tuned enough for the different composition to make a difference.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Hi Craig

Even if there is no performance difference - will there there be any difference if I buy the Premium version due to it supposedly keeping the engine cleaner?

·
Registered
618 Posts

It will keep the engine cleaner but my advice is to pick one brand and stick to it for lasting results.

·
Registered
425 Posts

The XF's diesel engine is tuned allow it to use lower grade fuels in places where the higher quality option is not available. If it was tuned to accommodate the higher grade fuels then it would make sense to use them and we would get better performance from our diesels, especially the 2.7L.

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts

xfphillips said:
The XF's diesel engine is tuned allow it to use lower grade fuels in places where the higher quality option is not available. If it was tuned to accommodate the higher grade fuels then it would make sense to use them and we would get better performance from our diesels, especially the 2.7L.
That is probably so when the car is destined to countries where the distribution of fuel is difficult but here in the U.K and Europe etc I can't see why they would do that.

·
Registered
618 Posts

^ they do though because even though you buy the car in the UK they have no idea where you might drive it. All Jaguars sold in the UK are designed to take the minimum standard diesel available so while the car will produce better and more cleaner power on better fuel it cant make best use of premium fuel. That was my point above.

·
Registered
251 Posts

In Sweden we basically only have one type of diesel because of envrionmental tax brackets. Anything other than "Environment Class 1" is unsellable for tax reasons. This includes the EuroDiesel I presume most of you use. The Swedish diesel is only made by a couple of refineries and all the petrol companies buy from the same place so it is exactly the same regardless of who you buy from.

BUT there have been a lot of buzz lately over tank upkeep at service station. Apparently some tanks are so badly corroded that the diesel you pump will be full of rust and other particles potentially damaging the engine and certainly clogging the fuel filters.
Most car manufacturers will not accept fuel filter changes or engine damage repairs on warranty if they find dirt in the diesel tank. And they do check.

So choose your service station carefully.

·
Registered
45 Posts

xfswede said:
In Sweden we basically only have one type of diesel because of envrionmental tax brackets. Anything other than "Environment Class 1" is unsellable for tax reasons. This includes the EuroDiesel I presume most of you use. The Swedish diesel is only made by a couple of refineries and all the petrol companies buy from the same place so it is exactly the same regardless of who you buy from.

BUT there have been a lot of buzz lately over tank upkeep at service station. Apparently some tanks are so badly corroded that the diesel you pump will be full of rust and other particles potentially damaging the engine and certainly clogging the fuel filters.
Most car manufacturers will not accept fuel filter changes or engine damage repairs on warranty if they find dirt in the diesel tank. And they do check.

So choose your service station carefully.
In many other countries it is the same: only 1/2 refineries in a certain area produce the fuel for all brands. And I suppose this is true almost everywhere, or the landscape should be full of refineries (or the motorways full of long-distance trucks taking fuel to stations).
Considering the standards to be applied by law, I would expect all fuel to be almost the same from the point of view of performance.
But of course individual brands add additives for premium fuel, anti-corrosive or anti-oxidation or detergents, which could make a difference.
Personally I am not going to use them, because I don't think that the engines are designed for them, but for the standard fuel. I remember that in the past many producers recommended not to use additives (the ones you buy in the shops) because they were more dangerous than useful. I don't think that producers would go against the big oil companies that easily, but the concept should be the same. I wonder how the dpf would react in the long term.
xfswede is very right, the individual station and its conditions are much more important.

·
Registered
360 Posts

Well for my twopenneth worth, I used to use Shell V-Power petrol in my old 330i BMW as there was a distinct increase in mpg and performance. I started out in the XF with V-Power diesel only to find that I couldn't acheive the mpg I was expecting from the car and therefore switched to ordinary Shell deisel and was surprised tro find that i get about 1 -1.5 mpg more with the ordinary Shell. I guess the manner in which you drive makes a big difference to the mpg above what type of deisel you use but as I only intend to keep the XF for 2 - 3 years (I'm gonna get another one then :)) the engine cleanliness isn't so important for me if it even works.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts