XF Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an e-mail from Volkswagen Denmark yesterday, that I am now able to prebook an ID.3 1st Edition. I think I have mentioned earlier, that I have been on a waiting list to prebook an ID.3. I didn't prebook it in time, so all the spots had been taken. But Volkswagen had a waiting list to prebook, in case someone opted out. Some unlucky fellow seems to have changed his mind, leaving a spot for me. I have now paid a deposit of DKR 7,000 which is about GBP 805 or €935. It's fully refundable, so I'm not risking any money for now. As I've also mentioned, I have paid a deposit of €500 for a Sonomotors Sion, just to help them get going with the project. Perhaps I'll end up with several EV's.

I have now been granted access to newsletters from Volkswagen send to prebookers since last summer. It seems, Volkswagen originally anticipated, that they would open for orders for the ID.3 1st in January. That has been postponed until March. After you put in an order, you'll have signed the documents, and you can't back out. Not for free at least. But for now, I can back out any time and get my deposit back. Volkswagen still says, the ID.3 1st will be delivered in the summer of 2020, but the summer is quite long. It could be close to September, I imagine. And in my experience, things like that always get delayed.

There are several advantages to the 1st Edition ID.3. It comes with one year of free charging, where a charging box will be installed at your home free of charge. It comes with free servicing for five years or 100,000 kms. If you factor in these goodies, the price is quite reasonable. There are some limitations to the 1st Edition though. It only comes in three equipment levels and four colours. You can't add options besides this. It also seems, that you can't just choose freely. You can wish for certain colours and versions. But if you're preferred car is not available, you'll have to accept another color or version. Of course you won't have to pay, until you know, which car you'll get. They are reasonable at Volkswagen's. My wife doesn't like the turquoise color, and I wouldn't like to have only the base version. Apart from that, we could live with any car, I suppose. Volkswagen says, they'll put the prebookers in groups. Group 1 will have two days to choose their cars. Then group 2 will be able to choose from the remaining cars and so on. Having been on the waiting list, I must be one of the last prebookers. I must have faith in that everybody loves the turquoise colour and wants to save money by getting the base version.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I just got an e-mail from Volkswagen Denmark yesterday,
- of course they, and everyone else, now have the ready made excuse of Cornonavirus world-shutdown for any and all delays.

The lurid tales of the press, emanating mainly from the source of Manager Magazin in Germany, boil down to software being developed at the 11th hour, with production, customer cars now being made in high numbers at Zwickau, with the final software to be flashed afterwards, in car parks and so on.

It doesn't really matter of course, whether the software is line-loaded or in a car park, or even at dealer pre-delivery inspection, as long as it's finally robust.

Diess, the CEO, seems the man who will not allow this to become an I-Pace type fiasco, with '13.2', '14.2', Hxxx' etc, 'update' after 'update', which was/still is 18 months on, actually basic software development/snagging in customers' hands.

Even if it comes in September rather than June, it should knock the socks off those lucky enough to have one, and, as I've said, be, finally, the Model T moment of the EV era - genuine mass production at genuinely affordable price.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Today I was invited to order my ID.3. I was very surprised, since I didn't become a prebooker until February 29. Volkswagen Denmark invited the first prebookers to order their ID.3 1st on Friday. The second group was invited Monday, and the third group today Wednesday. Volkswagen Denmark has made a Facebook group for us prebookers to ask questions to Volkswagen Denmark and to discuss the ID.3. Those who was ordering in the first two groups had been prebookers and paid a deposit on May 9 last year, when Volkswagen opened for the prebooking of the ID.3. They had been sitting at their computer waiting that day, which is more than ten months ago. I became a prebooker 25 days ago. So I had expected to be in the last group. Since there is a fixed (and secret) number of each of the three trim coming to Denmark, I feared all the Max version would be gone, when it was my turn to choose. Volkswagen had expected, it would take two weeks for all Danish prebookers to be invited.

A few prebooker wrote on the Facebook group, they had received their invitations to order today. Several of them quite recent prebookers. Then other prebookers all the way back from May 10 last year started complaining, that they hadn't been invited. I turns out, Volkswagen Denmark has made a mistake. Due to a human error, they have sent out invitations to prebookers, who shouldn't have be be invited until later. They are very sorry of course, but they say, that they expect almost everybody will be able to get the trim level, they want. They also say, that everybody will be able to order their ID.3 during the week. Yesterday they said two weeks. I suspect, they have sent out a large number of invitations today by mistake. But I'm just happy. I got to order my Max version in Mangan Gray metallic.

Later this spring, the local dealer will contact me, so I can sign the paper work. Volkswagen Denmark says, we can walk away and get all our money back until 14 days before we receive the car. They will also try to arrange for test drives before that 14 day limit, so people can try the car first. I tell you, the prebookers her in Denmark are such sissies. When you pre-order a car, which hasn't been finished yet, you will have to accept some uncertainties, some changes, some bumps on the road. That's the price for being able to drive in a brand new revolutionary car before anybody else. But no no. They want a guaranteed delivery date, assurance, that you can put on a roof rack on and know every little detail about how the cabin looks and so forth. Where's the fun in that?

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Very interesting Henrik for me personally.
I was one that pre-booked at the first opportunity, June 1st 2019, here in the U.K.
My £750 deposit is still lodged with them.
I heard from VW last month when they said:

Hello Peter,
It’s our first newsletter of 2020, and we’re breaking new ground from the get-go. The revolutionary ID.3 is coming soon. Plus, the latest up! is ready to order too. Read on to see what else is new
New starts here
Get ready for an electrifying future. The ID.3 is set to transform the way we drive. Offering a choice of three battery sizes, it can travel up to 340 miles on one charge. Its features go further too. With ‘keyless advanced’ locking and starting system, plus voice-responsive ID.Light, the electric revolution starts here.​

They provide a link to a site that tells me nothing new I
I did "chat” with VW a week or so ago and told them that I was unlikely to proceed with the purchase because the U.K. First Edition will not be equipped with Head up Display.
VW representative responded by saying that the car might have it because the new Golf G8 will have it implying that the technical difficulties they had apparently experienced with the HUD may have been resolved.
I purchased my Kona EV on the same order basis as the ID3, delivered without a test drive etc, and have been delighted with it.
My best range on my Kona has been

349 miles(561Km) achieved last summer. Winter range has been around 300 miles !
ID 3 will be perhaps about the same with the largest battery, not tested by anyone yet.
Kona has an HUD and having had the benefits of the equipment in my Kona, and my earlier Mercedes C-350e, I am not prepared to go without.
So the absence of an HUD will for me be a deal breaker and so I will have to wait until VW provide final specifications.
It is interesting that the Kona is so popular here that at the moment I am being offered more for it by the trade than I paid.
I don’t expect that to be the case when other EV models become freely available but it seems that may be a while before that happens

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is interesting that the Kona is so popular here that at the moment I am being offered more for it by the trade than I paid.
I don’t expect that to be the case when other EV models become freely available but it seems that may be a while before that happens
Tell me about it. Volkswagen and everybody else have been told to close their car factories due to the Corona virus pandemic. Nobody knows, when the car factories can open again. And when that happens, will they be able to get parts and materials from their vendors, or will it take a long time to get production at full speed? On top of that, VW is said to have huge problems with the software for the ID.3. An insider even called it a catastrophe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts