XF Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my various ruminations about front parking sensors, I'm left wondering why some switches in the XF are in strange places? I think of the parking sensor swich in the roof, but more particularly of a special bette noire of mine - the rear fog light switch. In lots of cars this switch is in some hidey-hole like on the XF. Why on earth is it paired off with the boot opening switch? No wonder people seem so reluctant to use them - they can't find the switch! To be a little more contentious... am I the only one who questions the wisdom (and the safety) of having so many controls accessed via the central monitor screen? It all seems so much less straightforward with things like the audio, heated seats, cancelling sat nav, resetting the trip computer - I can't help feeling it's not as simple as having "normal" controls. When you're driving along you sometimes miss the "button" or it don't quite hit it square on, and it all takes your eyes off the road.
Martin

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Martin said:
After my various ruminations about front parking sensors, I'm left wondering why some switches in the XF are in strange places? I think of the parking sensor swich in the roof, but more particularly of a special bette noire of mine - the rear fog light switch. In lots of cars this switch is in some hidey-hole like on the XF. Why on earth is it paired off with the boot opening switch? No wonder people seem so reluctant to use them - they can't find the switch! To be a little more contentious... am I the only one who questions the wisdom (and the safety) of having so many controls accessed via the central monitor screen? It all seems so much less straightforward with things like the audio, heated seats, cancelling sat nav, resetting the trip computer - I can't help feeling it's not as simple as having "normal" controls. When you're driving along you sometimes miss the "button" or it don't quite hit it square on, and it all takes your eyes off the road.
Martin
I am now used to all the controls and am perfectly happy. :)
It is a simple thing to put the car in reverse momentarily to activate the all round sensors. I do flick the switch if I am exiting a strange car park and want forward alerts, but that is about the only occasion when I do it.
In theory the boot will not open when in motion so just press away on the buttons; it has not failed me.
After all that, if you would care to design a new dashboard incorporating all the switches that you want and ensure that it is aesthetically pleasing along side the Sat Nav screen, and ideally reduces the cost of the car, certainly doesn't increase it, you may find it is accepted by the design team :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
I also found it a touch irritating. For example, last winter I had the screen on either sat nav, or audio, but then I or my passenger wanted to adjust the heated seat temp, so press home, alter the seat temp, then back to the screen you were at before - all when driving. However, the climate controls are separate.

We also have an i-drive equipped BMW, I wouldn't say that is any easier, except the audio has separate normal switches (you can program) and heated seat switches with three little lights on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts