XF Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't forget that you can scroll through your phonebook entries on the message centre display using the controls on the steering wheel instead of using the touchscreen. It's a bit safer than using the touchscreen while on the move.
Just press and hold the 'Source' button until the first name comes up, then scroll up or down through the names using the scroll wheel.
Press the voice button to make the call.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Very useful but painfully slow :eek: Anybody know of a short cut to get to letters in the middle of the alphabet other than using the Touchscreen :?:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I add an A then an AA and so on before the most used names and numbers so they appear first.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine doesn't seem to do it. I can see the phone book on the screen (although it is manually sent as incompatible with the phone) but holding source button does nothing. Once I have got the phonebook up with the screen I can use the wheel control to scroll though slowly. Any ideas why I can't just push source button?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
May be a daft question, but are you testing it with the ignition on? With the ignition off the system will do as you describe as the Message Centre is not active.

Holding the source button in should take you directly to the phone screen. It doesn't matter what is displayed before.

·
Registered
23 Posts
AndyB

I have definitely tried this a number of times whilst driving with no response. In fairness I havn't read the manual on this matter yet so maybe something else I'm doing but i'll keep playing or wait to the service and get the dealer to look at it.

I did wonder that as the system will not automatically "suck" in my phonebook and has to be forced in that it may not recognise that a phone book exists - who knows?

Thanks for your input though.

·
Registered
281 Posts
penultimateblack said:
I add an A then an AA and so on before the most used names and numbers so they appear first.
I've tried the AA trick too and it does get my most often used numbers at the top of the list. Scrolling through names via the steering wheel button is ridiculously slow though, would have thought that if the button is held in one position it would scroll through quickly - alas no :(

·
Registered
72 Posts
Of all the jaguar voice functions, I find the phone control the best...

'phone dial number'
<reply>
'oh-one-six-one-five-five-five-three-nine-seven-two'
<reply>
'dial' (or cancel or correct)

you can say the number as fast as you can talk clearly
it recognises 'oh' or 'zero'

since I mostly call a few numbers, I find this easier than teaching it to associate 'joe bloggs' with a number

neat

I hate the way you also say
'navigation go home'
and the reply bitches at you about not having agreed to use satnav safety issues etc... stupid!

·
Registered
1 Posts
For some reason my Nokia 5800 only manages to send contacts beginning with 'A' in any case. I guess that's another problem altogether.

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Welcome to the forum ian_m :)
I no longer have a Nokia, now an iPhone fan, so can't help, but it might be that someone will be along with a solution for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone knows why scrolling the phonebook list rapidly doesn't move A to Z like Audi on message center?

·
Registered
564 Posts
RobertB -- Is your XF a 2.7 or 3.0, as 2.7 doesn't show sat nav info in the message centre, so it may not show phonebook entries either. Just a thought.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can confirm that the phonebook does display on the message centre on all cars including the 2.7 like mine. However, as pointed out earlier in this thread it is slow to scroll through many entries.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts