XF Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick tip and to share my experience.
I opted to pay my dealer using a debit card. The dealer was rightly cautious about fake bankers drafts and personal cheques would take 10 days before I could pickup the car. Therefore the debit card seemed to be the best option.
I rang my bank (Lloyds TSB) several days before pickup day to advise them that I was buying a car and was there anything I needed to know. I was duly told that other than perhaps answering some questions to prove who I was there was nothing that I needed to do. I ensured that the funds were in the account.
To cut a long story short on the morning of pickup my payment declined and I was told that the payment was exceeding the daily amount that was allowed on the account (for my account this was £30k though was told by the dealer different banks/accounts have different limits). There was no way around this. The bank could only offer a Bankers Draft (and were not prepared to wave the fee). Needless to say I was not happy.
In the end I put through a trasaction on my card for £29,999 (which went through no problem) and then the balance on another card on another bank.

Its just worth checking with your bank to check the transaction limit should you opt to pay by debit card.

Hope this helps anyone yet to collect their car.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I had the same problem with Lloyds TSB. I phoned them a few days before collection and they told me my debit card had no upper limit as long as there was cash was in the account to cover a withdrawal. When the dealer tried to transfer £39332 the card only allowed £30.0000. He then rang a Visa number and after I confirmed my identity the outstanding amount was released..

·
Registered
618 Posts
I had no problem whatsoever using a debit card to pay for mine. I have a HSBC premier account and when they used my card I had to speak to a bank representative and answer my security questions etc and everything was fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts