XF Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, sorry if my question has been answered elsewhere but I couldn't see a similar thread.

Basically I bought an approved used car with 44,600 miles on the clock. Approved used cars are all supposed to have 'full service histories' and this is one of the reasons that i went to a main dealer.

When picking the car up I was told that the car had been serviced just before it was traded in by the previous owner and that the next service would be due in approx 1 year - all as expected.

However, when i got the car home and started going through the paperwork I noticed that the last service stamp was dated 6/4/11 and 35,816miles. Imagine my shock - 14months and over 10k miles since the last service stamp.

Is there anyway I can tell when the last service was done? I'm a bit concerned that the dealer will have reset the computer before handover without a service being done!?

I've emailed the dealer and they have told me that they are 'looking into it'.

Any help much appreciated,

Dhruv

·
Administrator
22,508 Posts
Having the Service Record is desirable but not the end of the world if it has been overlooked. After every service a Jaguar Approved dealer / service centre will add the record via Jaguar's system and so it is recoverable by anyone with access. If you ask the dealer to access the system and print out the record you will discover where and when your car was last attended to. It should be possible to ask the last servicing dealer to apply their stamp and date if it was overlooked.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pekem, that's really helpful. I'll do that - hopefully they've just forgotten to stamp the book and not forgotten to actually do the service!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks Pekem, that's really helpful. I'll do that - hopefully they've just forgotten to stamp the book and not forgotten to actually do the service!!
In the, hopefully, unlikely event that it hasn't been serviced recently the dealer you bought it from should service it since they sold it to you as having had a recent service and it was an approved used car. I'm sure it will all get sorted out - don't panic.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
Since the service interval is one year or 10,000 miles not much harm can come in any event. At least that's the interval for the V8 engines. Modern diesels are even cleaner and stress the oil less than petrol engines these days.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I always put the service book on the passengers front seat so they remember to stamp it BUT despite this I have had both a Jaguar and a BMW service that was not stamped (both by main dealers with very high reputations). I'm sure the service book can be retrospectivley stamped if it was simply missed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Same with Lexus too. They say the database is more secure as you can forge printed service stamps. Now I always check the book when I collect the car just for completeness.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your comments. The dealers have informed me that the last service was actually done in September. They were under the impression that the vehicle had been more recently serviced and so will be picking up the tab next time I take it in :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
am i right in thinking that Jaguar will keep a complete record of the car as long as its done with a main dealer ?

·
Registered
564 Posts
V6arj - yes Jaguar keep main dealer servicing. Independents would not have access to this system.

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I bought my XF last year it was due a service according to the service book but the service indicator was not coming up on the dash (I gather from the handbook that the XF has a countdown to the last 2000 miles until the service is due). I contacted Jaguar UK and three dealers but they all told me that there is no central database for service history, only the warranty work. In the end, as a precaution I got the car serviced but I always wondered if a service had been carried out but not recorded in the service book.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought or should I say Rescued a 09 2.7 XFv6 D from a private seller, with the most recent service. record being in 2018. However as the car runs very well and is clean, I decided to do a mini interim service myself, pending getting a full Dealer Service next March when the MOT is due. Big Mistake, I only got as far as changing the Air Filter, which looked as though it had been there since the car was new and was very awkward to remove, and even harder to replace, taking about two and a half hours for that job alone, Next was an oil change using a 12v Sealy suction pump via the dip stick tube, which was when I discovered that there isnt a 12v power terminal under the cars bonnet like on my previous Volvo. Luckily the pump power cable reached into the car, which solved that problem. Needles to say, the oil looked more like Treacle than oil, being very black and thick, and it took ages to extract it from the car, so that only left the Oil Filter to replace. However I dont use Bad Language so I wont try to describe the two hours it took to do that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts