XF Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’ve had this error code for a few weeks now. It’s been rather intermittent. I could clear the code and then it returned in a few days. I thought maybe the electrical connectors maybe corroded or loose but they were fine. I then noticed a broken spring on the actuator arm. I can push the actuator arm inwards and the spring pulls it out but without very much strength now.

unfortunately this coil spring is not a replaceable part. You have to order a new cooler. I haven’t looked up prices yet but that something I’ll do this week.

the spring looked dirty and I could imagine grime building up on the spring could put more resistance in the spring causing it to break. I suggest 2.2d owners go have a look at theirs and clean it and spray with some WD40. I’ll update the post with cost of replacement later.

Here’s a video of its location and you can see the break:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber Tread Gas
Font Screenshot Rectangle Multimedia Number

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: called Jaguar. With VAT a new cooler is £430!! I don’t really want to pay that just because of a little broken spring.I have a plan and have ordered some parts so I can McGuiver myself a fix. I’ll update again if my plan works!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
My cheap fix of the torsion spring on the cooler seems to have worked! The plan was to attach a tension spring between the arm of vacuum solenoid and a bolt on the cam cover. I ordered a selection box of tension springs from Amazon as I wanted to have some options dependant on how much resistance and length I needed. I measured the distance between the arm full extended and contracted to the bolt on the cam belt case. At its longest time as about 6cm and shortest 4cm. I chose a spring that was smaller than 4cm as. I wanted some tension on the spring when at the shortest distance. At the end of the springs are hoops. I un-did the hoop and made a hook. I did try to take the arm of the pivot point and keep the spring hoop but felt I was going to break the arm. The safest option was to make a hook. I undid the cam belt cover bolt but didn’t take it out. Hooked one end of the spring around the shaft then did the bolt back up making sure the spring didn’t turn with the bolt. I then hooked the other end to the pivot on the arm of the actuator. It felt like a good amount of tension on the spring. Not too much that it would stop the vacuum arm being pulled inwards but enough to pull it out when the vacuum went off. I turned the engine on and the arm was pulled in easily. I then switched off and waited for the vacuum to release (about 30s). When it went off the spring pulled the arm back out.

Be sure to clear your codes once done as my light stayed on until I cleared the code. I’ve only done a few trips since doing this repair but so far no EML light.

I’m not sure how long this will last and will keep an eye on it. If the spring breaks then at least there are no moving parts below it to fall into. Just the plastic under tray. I’ll keep you posted if I make any more changes.

200 Pieces Spring Assorted Kit Stainless Steel Compression Springs Spring Assortment Springs Extension Springs Galvanized Spiral Spring (Silver) 200 Pieces Spring Assorted Kit Stainless Steel Compression Springs Spring Assortment Springs Extension Springs Galvanized Spiral Spring (Silver) : Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science

Tire Automotive tire Tape measure Drink Bicycle part

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Hand Finger Gesture Thumb Nail

Black Rectangle Font Art Wood

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Automotive design

YOU TUBE VIDEO

·
Registered
2013 XF 2.2D Sport
3 Posts
Innes_UK, how is the fix holding up? I have the same issue, went out today to try and strip the egr down for cleaning and noticed the broken spring! I'm about to head of in search of a spring!
John.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Innes_UK, how is the fix holding up? I have the same issue, went out today to try and strip the egr down for cleaning and noticed the broken spring! I'm about to head of in search of a spring!
John.
It’s still holding up a treat. No error messages and it looks like the springs I got are stainless steel as there’s no rust.
Automotive tire Ammunition belt Ammunition Safety glove Wood

·
Registered
2013 XF 2.2D Sport
3 Posts
I bought a pack from 'halfrauds' as I needed to sort it today, after some trial and error I had to use 2 springs together to get enough tension to pull it back out. Faults cleared so hopefully it holds as well as yours.

I'm wondering if there is anyway to repair the main spring, a small spot weld perhaps?

Either way thanks for the fix, saved me a fortune!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts