XF Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit late for the New Year as had intended to post earlier. Now 7 weeks old my new XF still thrills and cossetts. Was very sad to say goodbye to my 14 yr old XJS which I had owned for a decade but it was needing some expensive repairs and I need more room in the back - enclose a few pics of handover for the nostalgics. Hope I keep the XF that long! Settling in well and find the power fine as I scratched the squealing round corners itch some while ago. Not sure I would have hung on for the 3 litre even if my dealer had said it was coming. Economy is a tad disappointing though, as I got just over 27 mpg over the first 1500m. Handling is very sure and it felt very safe in the snow - enclose a photo after I had got into work when many others didn't bother. A 5-series in front of me was sliding all over the road. 3 cheers for the heated front screen.

Amazing how the gadgets have progressed in the last few years. My XJS had only just got front air bags! The B&W is superb and now I half hope for traffic jams so I can fiddle with it. Its even loud enough for the kids! Xenons are well worth the extra bearing in mind what other have said about the standard lights and I get the odd flash from oncomers thinking I'm on full beam. I thought the side firing cornering lights would be a bit of a gimmick but they are rather fun. Main gripe with the instruments is the column stalks - why on earth aren't they illuminated. Just a couple of days old I was coming down a motorway at night when it started to bucket down - could I get it right for miles. The XJS's lit up - did these come from an x-type? And whilst on gripes the dials are very pretty but I don't really need them to go up to 170mph and my middle-aged eyes would have preferred a bit more than a needle's width between 30 & 35. Anybody miss a temp gauge? Have seduced friends with keyless entry and the start up routine but surely it could have had a 2 stage shut down so the ignition would stay on if you wished. Irritating to have to redock the phone, reset the trip etc. when you just stop for fuel. I save a few more moans for a later post but in general the best all rounder feel-good car I have ever driven - including several much more expensive.

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
Welcome to the forum KKman :)
Great set of pictures and very good to read that you are enjoying your XF.
Not clear in my mind what is happening with your phone and trip meter when filling up. I do not have any such problems at all; perhaps you could explain more. Also, the issue of ignition being required; can't think why you would want that. Power is available by just pressing the ignition button with your foot off the brake, or is that not what you mean :?:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pekem
What I meant was that when I turn the engine off, the electrics turn off as well and undocks my phone, and stops the trip counter. Didn’t happen in the old days when things were mechanical and if only stopping for a moment - fuel, postbox, waiting to collect someone etc, can you turn the engine off and still leave the electrics continuously on? If I immediately press start again with foot off brake my phone link has already gone and although I know you can add in the 'last journey' to the trip computer it’s a bit of a fag.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Hi KKman and welcome, I'm unsure about the trip thing you're mentioning. But as for the phone, what do you mean by "Re-dock" If you turn off the car and then switch it back on the connection should automatically reconnect. If however you jump out of the car and move out of range then jump back in, it will show phone disconnected, reconnect? Also if you are refuelling wouldn't you normally turn the engine off? I think its only since the Keyless entry/start thing that we have been doing things differently than we normally would. Remember back to the days when you needed the key to open your fuel cap? back then we wouldnt have the ignition on!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
KKman said:
Thanks Pekem
What I meant was that when I turn the engine off, the electrics turn off as well and undocks my phone, and stops the trip counter.
Surely this only happens if you are running the trip computer on Auto. When on A or B it continues from where it left off.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
zx10ben said:
Hi KKman and welcome, I'm unsure about the trip thing you're mentioning. But as for the phone, what do you mean by "Re-dock" If you turn off the car and then switch it back on the connection should automatically reconnect. If however you jump out of the car and move out of range then jump back in, it will show phone disconnected, reconnect? Also if you are refuelling wouldn't you normally turn the engine off? I think its only since the Keyless entry/start thing that we have been doing things differently than we normally would. Remember back to the days when you needed the key to open your fuel cap? back then we wouldnt have the ignition on!
Yes my phone asks me if I want it to reconnect rather that doing it automatically so I still have to get it out and tap a few keys - can cope with that. The trip computer is only an issue in auto, which is where I leave it most of the time. Not worth using up any more forum space on that though - lets mention the great bits about the XF

1 - 6 of 6 Posts