XF Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering placing an order for a new XF and have been given a delivery date of late November/early December. Common sense says delay it until January for a 2010 car because it will be worth more at sale time? Apart from having to wait even longer there is another potential pitfall in that the rate of VAT is due to revertto 17.5% on January 1st, which is a significant amount at this level
(Some economists think that the increase will not happen due to the economic situation)
I would be interested in any opinions/ thoughts

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
taffie999 said:
I am trying to psyche myself up to order an XF, having never before spent this kind of money on a car.
That is what you wrote in April of last year; if you let 2.5% VAT become your governor, psyching yourself will never happen :)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Well how much more do you think your 2010 xf will be than a 2009 one? I would happily bet it won't be £1000! Because that's how much more it will cost you to delay till Jan 2010 and pay the 17.5% reverted VAT rate!

·
Registered
628 Posts
COMMON SENSE says order the darn car already so you can start enjoying it! :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your comments, I am now well beyond psyching myself up, after my original post I bought a nearly new 3 litre diesel five series bmw estate instead, as i thought it would just be a bigger version of my 330d estate. I hated it (awful ride and noisy engine) and took it back within a week. Although I did not lose out much, it killed my enthusiasm for car shooping and dealing with car salesmen, but I started looking again a few weeks ago, tried a Lexus and a Volvo XC60 (lovely car but new 204bhp D5 engine positively agricultural - totally unacceptable in a prestige car. I keep coming back to the XF, . So I am pretty sure I will buy one now; in a way the delay was good because I am not left with an out of date 2.7 engine (shabby tactic by Jaguar)
Your points are valid and I have considered them all. I disagree about the difference in value as given the choice of two identical cars, one 2008 and one 2009 the 2009 will be easier to sell and will fetch more, perhaps significantly more. I have been quoted early December so the additional delay is only a few weeks (with a greater likelihood of the car being delivered on time) - also what a way to start the New Year!!

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Is that a typo above "2008 and one 2009 the 2009", do you mean 2009 / 2010 :?:
If you can order now at a fixed price for delivery in 2010, but you will not be able to avoid any increase in VAT, if imposed, why not do it, it seems that you want one :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Correct me if I’m wrong.
The way I understand the situation is that VAT is levied on the date of the invoice, so one would expect an invoice w/could be raised in December for a January Delivery.
Equally, if Alistair raised VAT tomorrow we could all rush out and buy our new cars today at the old price.
Similarly, I would expect that if VAT went down again, all unpaid invoices could be torn up and new ones issued with the later date and lower VAT rate.
It is the date of invoice that is significant not the date of order or the date of payment.
Having said this, I’m not 100% sure so best check with your dealer

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
taffie999 said:
I keep coming back to the XF, . So I am pretty sure I will buy one now; in a way the delay was good because I am not left with an out of date 2.7 engine (shabby tactic by Jaguar)!
be mindfull of your comments on the 2.7d, it's a cracking engine and the majority of owners here have it and are chuffed to bits with it.

taffie999 said:
Your points are valid and I have considered them all. I disagree about the difference in value as given the choice of two identical cars, one 2008 and one 2009 the 2009 will be easier to sell and will fetch more, perhaps significantly more. I have been quoted early December so the additional delay is only a few weeks (with a greater likelihood of the car being delivered on time) - also what a way to start the New Year!!
I may be missing something here, but just to get you straight. A car registered in dec 09 will be worth conciderably less than a car registered in jan 2010? There would be a decent difference between the plates but as for the year, it's negligable.

·
Registered
193 Posts
In all honesty I couldn't fault the 2.7D either.

The other thing for people thinking about buying a new car next year is the proposed new car tax - otherwise called 'showroom tax.' That and the increase in VAT makes buying a new car now a no brainer. I think the showroom tax may come in around April - so plenty of time for you to decide.

Also, there are some good discounts available on all XFs if you play hard ball now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all agaion for your comments

zx10ben
I do not mean to criticise the 2.7 engine, I would happily have one. It just seemed a bit unfair to those who spent a considerable amount of money on a brand new design that should have been future proof for some time. The new engine will inevitably affect the value of those cars with the 2.7 engine; in that position I would have been a little miffed, even if completely satisfied with the engine. I suppose that given the economic situation at Jaguar it was a commercial necessity to get the car out as soon as possible

·
Registered
102 Posts
Forget 17.5%, there is a high risk that the rate could go up further than this, perhaps to 20%, although any prospect of an election may delay this but I strongly believe it will happen sometime next year.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again for all your comments. I have placed an order for delivery towards the end of October with a different dealer. Portfolio 3.0 D with blind spot monitor and parking camera, silver with charcoal interior.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts