XF Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

2009 XF S Luxury 3.0 V6 Auto. Thank you in advance for any advice given.

First thing in the morning on the initial cold start-up there is a lot of vibration present on the driver’s side console area when I start driving the car between the rev ranges of 1650-1950 rpm. This lasts for about 5 minutes, after the initial 5 minutes there is no noise present through the complete rev range, it completely disappears. Also if I stop the car say after 15 minutes driving, and say start it again an hour later, there is still no noise. Again - the noise is only present between 1650-1950 rpm on the initial cold start up.

I am just wondering if it is coming from the automatic gearbox when the gearbox oil is cold. After the initial 5 minutes of running, the oil has heated up sufficiently enough to reduce the viscosity of the oil (in turn allowing it to do it job properly) and the noise disappears. When I spoke to Jaguar when I bought the car they said that the gearbox oil and filter were not a serviceable item therefore I did not need change them for the life of the car. That doesn’t sound right to me. I also read somewhere online that the oil and filter should be changed at 100,000 miles. I have no paperwork to confirm that this has been done. The car has a full service history: The first 9 services carried out by Jaguar and the last 3 by a Nissan garage.

Any thoughts on this issue or, comments on my automatic gearbox oil theory would be greatly appreciated. Thank you (y) .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for you reply Bik3rz, much appreciated.

Did you do the oil change yourself or, did you have JLR or an independent garage do it?

This being my first automatic car I have never did a gearbox oil change, just wondering if I could do this myself.

·
Registered
83 Posts
if your thinking of doing a gearbox service yourself you really need to have the car on a ramp
there is a set procedure for refilling the gearbox with oil the instructions on how to do this comes with the genuine sump when you buy it
don't buy a third party sump buy an original ZF one
the recommended gearbox oil for your car is Lifegaurd ZF 6 you will need at least 7 litres

Kits can be bought like the example below but can be bought from other places including ebay

the important thing is to follow the correct procedure when refilling the gearbox it's quite involving but reasonably straightforward

·
Registered
3 Posts
no idea about problem, but gearbox oil change is in order, 99% owners ignore jaguar on this one. depends on the owner, but 80k miles is when I've done it
Yes I second this only change 80k to the 40k same as Audi main dealers using same zf8 speed.
Also make sure new timing belt with water pump and the adjacent belt powering the alternator and power steering is changed out no more than 100k miles or ten years whatever is first.

Maintenance is key for sure!

·
Registered
3 Posts
There's no reason why it may not be the engine running parts themselves if the noise also occurs at 1650 to 1950 when gearbox is in neutral? Check this first for sure. I'm in process of having just booked in for an automatic gearbox flush and replace. Fee was literally quarter price of the cheapest part only second hand auto box o could find online so I think we need to take more care of our gearbox oils regardless of our main dealer advice as they prefer to simply run till death then replace. I seen online earlier from zf Germany manufacture themselves that the auto box will get circa 100k miles no maintenance but 300k miles plus with new gearbox oil, filters and gaskets replaced each 40k min or 50 to 70k max change.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if your thinking of doing a gearbox service yourself you really need to have the car on a ramp
there is a set procedure for refilling the gearbox with oil the instructions on how to do this comes with the genuine sump when you buy it
don't buy a third party sump buy an original ZF one
the recommended gearbox oil for your car is Lifegaurd ZF 6 you will need at least 7 litres

Kits can be bought like the example below but can be bought from other places including ebay

the important thing is to follow the correct procedure when refilling the gearbox it's quite involving but reasonably straightforward
Thank you for all the information Cosmicma, very much appreciated Sir (y).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I second this only change 80k to the 40k same as Audi main dealers using same zf8 speed.
Also make sure new timing belt with water pump and the adjacent belt powering the alternator and power steering is changed out no more than 100k miles or ten years whatever is first.

Maintenance is key for sure!
Thanks for the advice Xftillsgedies. New to Automatics, driven manual cars for 35 years - if only i had known ;).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's no reason why it may not be the engine running parts themselves if the noise also occurs at 1650 to 1950 when gearbox is in neutral?

I seen online earlier from zf Germany manufacture themselves that the auto box will get circa 100k miles no maintenance but 300k miles plus with new gearbox oil, filters and gaskets replaced each 40k min or 50 to 70k max change.
Just tried it cold in Neutral Xftillsgedies. I heard the noise briefly for probably less than 2/10 ths of a second at 1650 rpm. then nothing over the following 300 rpm increase. Held it in the range, and at various points within the 300 rpm range for a while too and nothing.

It is a lot more prominent when cold start driving i.e. in gear. It is continually there for the first 5 minutes all through the full rev range from 1650-1950 rpm.

In summary the vibration is much worse when driven cold than when idling cold.

The car has full service history. First 8 services from JLR, 3 from a Nissan garage and one from me on purchase. Although the car has done 100 k it has had regular oil and oil filter, air filter ect. I would like to think the big end bearings, main bearings, cam bearings ect should be in pretty good nick. There shouldn't be much vibration from engine as bearing wear and subsequently run out should hopefully still be within tolerance. The gearbox oil on the other hand: I have no paper work with the car to confirm it has been changed. JLR (they say not a serviceable item) will not have changed it unless i guess the owner at the time asked for it to be changed - regardless I have no proof. My train of thought was good clean oil plays a big factor in the continued smooth operation of an automatic gearbox - or any gearbox for that matter. If it hasn't been changed and the car has done a 100K then as per the info you have kindly provided pertaining to Audi; and especially the zf info: Germany manufacture themselves that the auto box will get circa 100k miles no maintenance but 300k miles plus with new gearbox oil. Then I am leaning towards the sustained vibration whilst driving cold for first 5 mins is coming from the box through input output shaft onwards to the crankshaft or,

I am new to jaguar and automatics. This maybe be normal during this rev range when driving from cold for the first 5 mins until the oil has sheared and the viscosity has reached its optimum cooling and lubricating (optimum) window. Hopefully someone with the same car will read the post and pass on if this exact same condition is present during the first 5 mins of cold driving between1650-1950 rpm on their car. That would be helpful.

Regardless, on the information kindly provided by your good self and Cosmicma, I need to get the flush and change done too. Just hope its not too little too late at 100 k as per Zf manufactures comment. Thanks again for your help and the information provided.

·
Registered
83 Posts
ZF recommend not to do a full gearbox flush but to do a gearbox oil and filter change on a gearbox with that kind of mileage

the gearbox / oil cooler and torque converter holds around 11 litres of oil but when you do an oil change you can usually replace around 4 to 6 litres of oil because some oils will stay in the torque converter and oil cooler
iv'e heard about people doing a complete flush and it seems there has been no detrimental effects but i would stick with the ZF guidelines to be safe

as for the vibration it might be worth looking at the exhaust to see if it catching the chassis any where or if the balance weights are still there
these XF's also use engine mounts that are vacuum fed there is a diaphragm within them that raises and lowers
i'm not entirely sure whats going on with the engine mounts but i do know if te diaphragm gets perforated or the vacuum pipes going to the engine mounts perish or split it can cause vibration at low revs / tick over

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for that additional important point Cosmicma. I will look into getting the gearbox job done. Thanks to you I am now in receipt of the relevant info. Much appreciated.

With regards to my issue with the vibration noise. Thanks for the info. My initial thoughts: It is only there for 5 mins from cold @ 1650-1950 rpm. Am thinking if it was something to do with the points you raised then it would be there constantly during the specific 300 rpm rev range stated.

Whilst changing my oil I was under the car removing the sump plug and I noticed the strange looking engine mounts like nothing I had seen before. I thought what is going on there - the penny drops. These car are seriously loaded with tech. I like this car better everyday I own it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
the reason i mentioned the exhaust is because when it warms up it might be just enough to stop it resonating against something it's a guess but i think worth looking into

the only other thing i can think of would be torque converter related but thats the last place i would be considering as it's a gearbox off job to find out and an oil change might be the cure if it is

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the reason i mentioned the exhaust is because when it warms up it might be just enough to stop it resonating against something it's a guess but i think worth looking into

the only other thing i can think of would be torque converter related but thats the last place i would be considering as it's a gearbox off job to find out and an oil change might be the cure if it is
Cosmicma thanks for your post. That is a valid point pertaining to the resonating of the exhaust, never crossed my mind. The gearbox oil change will be the first point of call, hopefully that will do the trick. Just hope it's not the gearbox starting to have issue being that we are post 100 k, and I have no documentation to prove the oil has ever been changed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts