XF Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reserved an XF2.7D in Indigo/Dove with lots of toys and 4000 miles on the clock. Next Wednesday to wait until now!

One quick question - what's the pedestrian impact device? A voice that says "you have just collided with a human being"? Seriously what it is, those who know?
:D

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Good to read that you have done it; well done :D
Next Wednesday will feel like a year away but it will be really great waiting.
Impact device is simply some clever pyrotechnics housed in the bonnet near the window. If you do hit someone, the car will sense it, trigger the explosions, in the manner of Air Bags. and the rake of the bonnet will change upwards by about 50mm, I think, in order to lessen the impact. :lol:
I am sure somebody else could explain the intricacies better but you get the idea :lol:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Pek's just about got it. There are impact sensors in the front bumper. If an impact is detected the two rams located under the rear of the bonnet activate, lifting the bonnet up and away from the engine so that the pedestrian doesn't come into contact with the top of it. It was necessary to fit this device for the car to achieve the required pedestrian NCAP rating.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. That sems like a heavily over-engineered solution, but the whole car reeks of over-engineering...love it!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Here is me thinking that the pedestrian thingy was that the windscreen washers reversed and washed the blood off the front of the car.

gary

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
garyxf said:
Here is me thinking that the pedestrian thingy was that the windscreen washers reversed and washed the blood off the front of the car.

gary
The headlight washers do that. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I thought it might be a T'Shirt issuing system where the lucky pedestrian would, on collision, be immediately issued a T'Shirt stating, "I've been hit by an XF". Mum and dad would be very proud.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts