XF Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just had the shock of my life when I walked around my car in daylight to check the condition of the wheels and tyres.

The wheel hubs have a huge amount of rust on them. All four of them. I'm talking about the bit that the wheel itself attaches to. They are almost bright orange!

I have read somewhere that there is a procedure from Jaguar for Jag dealers to rectify this? Does anyone have any details of this? The car is only six months old and I wouldn't expect this type of rust on the wheel hubs. I'm not talking about the fine rust coating you get on the brake discs just after a wash. I am talking serious rust.

·
Registered
618 Posts
There is a disc corrosion cleanup procedure that your dealer can undertake. If you want it done then quote SSM36993 at them. There isnt anything on the GTR specifically about the hub.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
d4ve said:
Normal. BMWs do it too.
I've had a recent 5-Series and never noticed this kind of rust before. In fact, i've never noticed it on any of my previous four cars. I am meticulous about detailing my car and tend to inspect every nook and cranny!

This is definitely wrong and looks horrible as the rust clearly shows through the wheels.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
craig said:
There is a disc corrosion cleanup procedure that your dealer can undertake. If you want it done then quote SSM36993 at them. There isnt anything on the GTR specifically about the hub.
Thanks for the info, Craig. I checked with my dealer and they need to call in a third party to carry out this procedure. I'm guessing they'll need to call in wheel refurbishers. Sadly, it'll mean yet another booking at my dealership.

I think i'm about to get my own parking space there! I'm definitely going to get it done as the wheels look awful with this rust all over the hubs (it's not on the brake discs, by the way). I'll try and explain the location of the rust a bit better: if you were to remove the wheel you'll see the five studs that the wheel goes onto. It's the hub that attaches to the axle itself that is the problem (the very rough plate through which the studs poke through). All four of those are covered in rust. I guess a cleanup with a wire brush and sealing with some kind of sealing fluid would be the fix for this.

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
Which proceedure are you planning to have done Roma?
Craig describes a treatment for cleaning up a disc which, as I understand it, was not the problem, rather it was the hub.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Roma, any chance of posting a picture up of the issue?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Roma said:
d4ve said:
Normal. BMWs do it too.
I've had a recent 5-Series and never noticed this kind of rust before. In fact, i've never noticed it on any of my previous four cars. I am meticulous about detailing my car and tend to inspect every nook and cranny!

This is definitely wrong and looks horrible as the rust clearly shows through the wheels.
While the wheels are off paint the hubs with POR 15

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
micalee said:
Roma, any chance of posting a picture up of the issue?
Will try to, mate. My only digital camera is broken at the moment. The only option I have at the moment is the crappy camera in my phone but i'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think the mention of the clean up being for the discs only is correct, i.e. this is when the surface that the pad runs on is corroded.

The hubs themselves are steel and are not treated or painted, so they are going to have surface rust. The new 5 and 3 series are the same, a friend has a 3 series with the same problem and when he went back to the dealer they basically said that they're all like that so tough.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Every car I have owned has had this problem to some degree the trick is picking an alloy that hides it, The question is why do they not galvanise the damm things should not cost too much, there must be some explanation.

gary

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
garyxf said:
Every car I have owned has had this problem to some degree the trick is picking an alloy that hides it, The question is why do they not galvanise the damm things should not cost too much, there must be some explanation.gary
If every car that you have owned displayed rust in this manner and everyone else suffers in the same way, there would be little point in galvanising because who has ever heard of a hub dropping off :shock:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Perhaps this problem is more noticeable on Carelia 19" wheels? The fact that Jaguar have had to create a procedure for dealers to rectify this issue must make it a real issue. If it was 'normal' then why have a procedure to fix the problem? Perhaps the procedure was created for customer like me who are a pain in the ar*e and want the car to be perfect?! ;)

I have to admit that I hate my car looking imperfect. I get down and dirty with the wheels and tyres at least once a week and sometimes twice a week to check the condition of the discs, the rubber on the tyres and the tyre pressures. Thus, it's something that is obvious to me and doesn't look right to me. Also, the dealer mentioned that they have a third party who has to carry out the procedure to fix the issue so it doesn't sound like a straightforward wheel-off, wire brush, wheel-on type of procedure!

Perhaps Service can throw some light on the procedure? I shall ask in the appropriate thread...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts