XF Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all. It's been some months since I was last here. I've really been enjoying driving my XF, though. I have put around 15k miles on since I bought it in February!

Recently, I bought a simple OBD-II scanner, an ELM327-based device, just to check codes on my own and monitor vitals. I know it doesn't have the capability to make modifications, and that's fine. It connects via bluetooth, and I have paired it with my tablet device.

I first connected it to my wife's 2003 Chevrolet, and it seemed to work quite well. Then I plugged it in to the XF's OBD-II connector, located on the left behind the SmartKey slot. After it powered up and connected to my tablet, the software started going through different protocols, evidently attempting to communicate with the XF.

After about a minute, which was much more than the time the Chevy took, I decided to go ahead and start the car. It wasn't having any of it. The DIC reported a Parking brake fault, and the car would not start. Finally, I removed the scanner. Immediately, the interior chime started rapidly pulsing. I managed to start the car, but saw a transmission fault in the DIC. There doesn't seem to be any lasting harm.

So, now I'm a bit hesitant to try again. Has any one else any advice?

Mitch

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hi Mitch

I'm not aware of anyone trying this. I'm sure someone else has. But by the sounds of it, it's best to leave well alone!!

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
I have plugged wireless scanners on my XFR and got all the vitals (RPM, throttle, gear,etc) just fine. It was a scanner sold as part of the trackmate package.

So the OBD2 does work. Try it again. make sure there is nothing shirting the cinnector.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Mitch

Just browsing and saw your post and noticed some coincidences here : surname Thompson, car Jag XF, colour Indigo Blue, previous address Texas, San Antonio, Bandera Road/Guilbeau area.

Spoke to some folks inside the 405 on Saturday, you guys are getting fried over there....hope it rains soon....keep enjoying the car.

I will get off now before I get a Pekem O gram for being off piste!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
74 Posts
just ordered the kiwi system from amazon to use with my motorola xoom! hopefully an update in a few days :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts