XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel tank is nearly empty and the computer shows 21.9 mpg! :eek:

My Porsche used to give me around 18mpg - and that was a 3.4 litre flat-6 Boxer engine designed for performance and driven fairly hard. I would have thought that a 2.7 litre diesel engine would perform a lot better. Having said that, i've had the engine idling for ages on several occasions whilst I played around with the car settings and many of my journeys have been short journeys.

I'm hoping that the next tankful gives me better fuel economy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Re: Not impressed with 2.7 diesel fuel economy

I have covered 700 miles since new and am averaging 33mpg. I expect that figure to rise as the engine wears in.

·
Registered
618 Posts

I am doing my first long run tommorow but around town London driving is currently giving me 28mpg indicated and I have no reason to dispute that.

·
Administrator
434 Posts

I'd be devastated with only 21.9 MPG TBH.

Lets hope its just an early run in and not Roma doing too much gushing on his car :lol:

·
Registered
306 Posts

I was getting better than that in my 350 SLK (just better) those figures may look good on the V8 but not the diesel, the wife will kill me I have been quoting near 40 mpg to keep her happy.

gary

·
Registered
61 Posts

have just returned from my 1st long trip. picked up my car last tuesday and have just been around town. the journey was from Wakefield to Merthyr Tydfil in South Wales. route taken was:

M62-M1-A42-M42-M5-M50-A40-A465

this is a fair mixture or roads with variable speed limits on M42 roadworks 50-30 mph on M1 and 30mph road works on A465 for about 5 miles.

put in 38mpg going and 42mpg coming back. so i am well happy at the moment !! :lol:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

My economy figure should improve this week as it will be mainly motorway journeys visiting a client all week. Hopefully i'll be a bit more pleased next weekend.

·
Registered
618 Posts

Have just finished first tank and my manual calculations show the onboad computer to be accurate. Mostly london urban driving with one 160 mile trip to the coast and back has given me 32.8mpg I'm happy with that

·
Registered
8 Posts

Could it be that fuel consumption of the 2,7D differs from car to car? Recently we had two different reviews in Germany within a couple of weeks. Auto, Motor und Sport (comparison with a 525D) critizised the "9,4 L/100 KM", far more than the BMW, while Auto Bild (comparison with A6 3.0 TDI, 530D, E 300) stated, that the Jag is excellent in fuel consumption (7,7 L/100 Km) (less than the others). But you never know, how realistic such a review is. Local press is supporting local cars and is supporting large advert customers ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts

I am hoping to get some good mpg out of this car, after only getting around 22mpg out of my audi A4 Cab.

My problem is i only live 12 miles from work, and it takes me 45mins.

When i go on my quarterly journey up north (600 mile round trip) I get around 35mpg (in my audi)

Because the price of deisel is much more than petrol, i was hoping for a saving with the 2.7D. I will be a bit hacked off if not.

·
Administrator
22,503 Posts

My 2.7 diesel is returning around 35mpg. This is after approximately 2500 miles mainly A and B roads with just one major motorway trip to Wales and back, a distance of around 300 miles and the odd leg up and down the A1M for quite short distances.

·
Registered
17 Posts

I've so far covered 490 miles in my 2.7 XF and getting 34.3 mpg.
Pretty happy with that to be frank.
I had a 530d BMW before and would get around 38 in that so Jag economy isn't as good but everything else is better!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

Give it time to loosen up. I owned a BMW 330D Auto Touring for five years and the overall MPG averaged between 31.6 and 33.6. My XF has now covered 1200 miles, mostly short to shortish runs and the average since new has crept up to 33.2 mpg.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts

If you want impressive fuel economy, you have to think outside the box:

Cheap road tax also.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Roma said:
My fuel tank is nearly empty and the computer shows 21.9 mpg! :eek:
I guess that's why Jaguar discontinued the 2.7L engine and installed the 3.0L instead...

Comparing fuel consumption is nearly as useful as comparing insurance quotes as there are many, many variables in both.

I have a heavy right foot and do many short journeys yet I haven't had an accident recently (knock on wood) or convictions and I live in an area where there is little crime (again knock on wood). Hence my fuel economy is relatively poor but my insurance premium low.

·
Administrator
22,503 Posts
This thread needs updating with results being achieved by 2,7 XF owners today.
I recall at the time when I traded my 2,7 I was very happy with the consumption figures :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm returning an average of 28 MPG which I'm pretty disappointed with really as it's nowhere near the figures quoted by Jaguar which are obviously what they achieved under optimum conditions.

I did query my consumption with Jaguar CRC a short while after I got the car and again last month when it had it's first service and the advice was that consumption would improve once it reached around 10,000 miles. Well I'm up to 9,000 miles now and it's not really any different from when it was new a year ago. Have I been fobbed off?

·
Administrator
22,503 Posts
SMETSKI said:
I'm returning an average of 28 MPG which I'm pretty disappointed with really as it's nowhere near the figures quoted by Jaguar which are obviously what they achieved under optimum conditions.

I did query my consumption with Jaguar CRC a short while after I got the car and again last month when it had it's first service and the advice was that consumption would improve once it reached around 10,000 miles. Well I'm up to 9,000 miles now and it's not really any different from when it was new a year ago. Have I been fobbed off?
Firstly, please note that we have a separate thread for 3,00 series cars,this is for 2,7's, and there are many reports there of good consumption figures. It may be that you should nag the dealer to look again at yours if you are convinced that your driving style should produce better returns :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok - 58 plate, 16k mls - daily commute of 30 odd miles one way consisting of M1, M25 (slow) and M4. Averaging 33 to 36 mpg happy with that. On a recent run to Oldham averaged over 40 with sensible driving. :D

·
Administrator
22,503 Posts
Quinny306 said:
Ok - 58 plate, 16k mls - daily commute of 30 odd miles one way consisting of M1, M25 (slow) and M4. Averaging 33 to 36 mpg happy with that. On a recent run to Oldham averaged over 40 with sensible driving. :D
Those are the sort of numbers that I had prior to swapping for a 3.00 :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts