XF Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nooooo !
I wouldnt normally broadcast my stupidity but today I have put petrol in my diesel XF !
I drove approx 400 yards before i realised. It actually drove perfectly ok for that 400 yards. I now face a sleepless night as Jaguar Assistance are going to pick it up at 8am and take it to the main dealer (where i bought it from).
Anyone else done this ?
Anyone have any thoughts on the outcome ?
I guess its at best case a drain of the tank and everything is ok.
At worst case is it a new engine !?!
and just what sort of price will that be !?!
aaarrghhhh ! i feel sick !

·
Registered
247 Posts
I know how sick you feel. I did the same a few years ago in another car. If its any consolation, I didn't cause any damage to my engine. Providing no petrol got near the high pressure pump and injectors you are probably ok. A fuel tank drain and flush plus a replacement fuel filter will hopefully do the trick. As you only drove a few yards before realising then there should still have been diesel in the pipes. I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

·
Registered
196 Posts
a sad easy mistake ,a customer of mine put petrol in his diesel merc and claimed on his insurance (accidental damage) and they put a new engine in it .good luck mate!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Fingers crossed for you, I too have done this :eek: Put petrol in my wife's Diesel Honda Civic.

I only put a few liters in before I realised, and phoned my dealer who said the petrol would float on top of the diesel, and as the pick up was at the base of the tank, would be alright to drive to them. This I did (gently) where they drained the tank contents and flushed it through. Filled up with diesel, and didn't charge me :D :D :D Thats Honda service.

So, you may have got away with it this time.

·
Registered
70 Posts
There is a specific bulletin your dealer has to adhere to regarding mis-fuelling .Depends on distance covered.Adhearing with this bulletin is required if you want to keep warranty on fuel and engine.Also no comfort to you but the 2010model year xf will have an anti misfuel device on the filler neck.

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
JAG M/T said:
There is a specific bulletin your dealer has to adhere to regarding mis-fuelling .Depends on distance covered.Adhearing with this bulletin is required if you want to keep warranty on fuel and engine.Also no comfort to you but the 2010model year xf will have an anti misfuel device on the filler neck.
Do you know if the filler neck has been substantially modified. I ask because I had a mail from:
Alex Rom. M.I.M.I. of
DDN Ltd
McMullen Road
Darlington
Co Durham
DL1 1XT

He told me that he was working on a device and I wonder if the XF posed to many challenges as it is today. Could it be that Jaguar have changed the neck to accomodate the device or is it perhaps that it could be retro-fitted.

http://www.misfuellingprevention.co.uk/

·
Registered
70 Posts
I say that pekem as the fuel filler bowls we now are fitting are the same as the 2010 cars and we have to fit a rubber spacing ring around the filler neck,at first we didnt know why but were informed that there is a anti misfuel device which makes the filler neck wider.I would suspect that it will be the same device which is used in a Range Rover as it would be strange if it wasnt.

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
JAG M/T said:
I say that pekem as the fuel filler bowls we now are fitting are the same as the 2010 cars and we have to fit a rubber spacing ring around the filler neck,at first we didnt know why but were informed that there is a anti misfuel device which makes the filler neck wider.I would suspect that it will be the same device which is used in a Range Rover as it would be strange if it wasnt.
Thanks for that JAG M/T
Are you saying that the new bowl that has been replaced under warranty in connection with the fuel filler flap issue is the sam bowl as the MY10 car? If it is is, is it then possible that the misfuel device could be fitted, albeit as a chargeable part :?:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Only if the bowl has been replaced in the last month as i think the manufacturer only now produces the new bowl and as for the misfuel device have yet to see one so unable to comment if you would be able to retro fit or if a kit will be made available to fit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
for your info..... The main delaer has fixed my misfuelled XF.
Cost is 2.5 hours labour plus a fllter.
so although I am a few hundred pounds down I did breathe a huge sigh of relief !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts