XF Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not strictly a Jag question but one I assume interests a fair percentage of our posters: What is the current law in Europe, particularly Germany regarding smoking in hotels? I travel through Germany most years and searching the hotel websites it seems to becoming increasingly difficult to find a decent selection of NON smoking hotels as opposed to "non-smoking rooms" and other weasel worded descriptions.
I've seen a variety of dodges such as glass or canvass movable sections overhead in what was the hotel dining room which apparently transforms it to an "outdoor " eating area and therefore allows smoking.
Compared to the UK and even, strangely enough, France, both of whom have taken non smoking on board, Germany seems to be intent on dodging the ban. Any comments from our German friends?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Fencer, most hotels will have a limited number of bedrooms available for smokers, the remainder will be non-smoking. Restaurants and bars indoors are non-smoking by law but outdoor pavilions/terraces/beer gardens will generally allow smoking. That is my understanding anyway. As a non-smoker who reacts to the slightest amount of cigarette smoke in the air, I greatly welcomed this law.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
As far as I'm aware, German hotels, in the interim, do not allow smoking in rooms anymore because the floor(s) involved, stank and then the smoke penetrated the lower floors. If you are caught smoking there is a penalty for cleaning the curtains and room from the nicotine remnants

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Forgot to say that the ban is dependent on the state you are in. This map
View attachment 25537
By Areatius [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons from Wikimedia Commons
shows the regional variation for restaurants where red is essentially an absolute ban and green and yellow allow smoking in separated rooms.
This is a good point with regard to restaurants in certain palatinates. The problem is that some restaurants or pubs do have separate rooms for smokers. I have experienced that the bar is for smokers and does have tables for eating. One can go into another area for non smokers. The problem is that the waitresses pass continuously from one area to the next and the door keep on opening so that the smell from two sources (the waitresses clothes and the other area) slowly but surely penetrates the non smoking part.
We do not therefore frequent these sort of places, obviously, as non smokers.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just found this follow up to my O.P. Thanks Malleman and have to say I'm astonished at that map. I, and I'll bet most people in the uk were under the impression that Mr. Bismark had sorted you lot out a hundred years ago in uniting your country under central government. Apparently not. This makes as much sense as the USA with its daft State laws but that map above is a very useful tool. Thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts