XF Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Great forum with stacks of info. The manufacturers and the dealers must hate the internet for forums like this. They're an empowering goldmine of information!

Anyway, on Saturday I'll be returning to my local Jaguar dealership with a view to purchasing a stock Lunar grey 2.7D luxury and I'd appreciate any tips tricks, questions to ask, things to check they've done etc etc...

I've already picked up the issue with the Navigation upgrade so I'll be asking about that - thanks.

Bearing in mind there is much talk of a 2009 version of the car I'm assuming this one is older stock.

I'm going to carry on trawling through the site but I'd very much appreciate any pointers people can throw my way - even if it's 'steer clear' - not that that's going to likely judging by the happy residents in here!

I know it's a bit cheeky to arrive and pile straight into requests for information like this and I hope my approach doesn't annoy too many ;)

·
Administrator
22,526 Posts
Welcome to the forum Qhunter :)
Delighted to read that you are joining the club of XF owners; you are going to be so delighted with it.
You have read of the worries that have troubled members over the past few months and I am sure that you have also picked up on the fact that Jaguar have addressed them to the satisfaction of the vast majority; can't please everyone :)
I think the last major issue was the Sat Nav and I think it is true to say that everyone that was concerned about it has now had the update and is pleased with the result.
So, I would say, just collect your car and enjoy one of the best cars in the world.
Best cars in the world; is that over the top? No, damn it, it is wonderful :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Welcome QHunter
I have found this forum invaluable in the last few weeks while trying to make the decision on purchasing my first XF. I started, like you, all raring to go and purchase the 2.7D the weekend after reading all its glowing reports on this site (as well as in the What car mag).

In fact, I think it was on this forum that I gleamed that the new 3.0d XF is making its debut in March 2009 which made me do a bit of forward thinking. If you have your heart set on your XF, and lets be honest why wouldnt you :) , then all I would ask is, how strong is your resolve? The reason I ask is, if you can wait a few months to buy the 2.7d, then it might be worth a few quid to you to do that - I think, and it is only my opinion so I may be way out here but , the release of the 3.0d may have a significant effect on the price of 2.7d and you could get yourself a great bargain...and the more the 3.0d appear on the road, the more the Jag dealers are going to try to be shifting the 2.7's out of their stock to make way for the 3.0's.

As I said, this is only in my opinion, and, as others on the forum may be able to tell you, I'm not the most patient person and the word 'wait' doesnt sit well with me, so can understand if you are itching to buy your 2.7d this weekend. If this is the case, then make sure the dealer you speak to knows you are aware of the 3.0d coming out, and let them know you know they need to shift their stock; try to play it that you are doing them a favour ;) Also, always let them chase/call you... the more keen they are the more you could potentially get when you agree to a sale .... and most of all, be cheeky, just keep asking if its their best deal, and what else can they do for you... are there extras they can add on if they dont reduce the price..etc etc... its works. I just managed to get 4000 off the price of an XF today and am feeling very pleased with myself - goodluck... and enjoy :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm... the 3.0 is something that I'm aware of. I've also got the dealers on the hook. They're already "negotiating with Jaguar" to see what they can do about the the price. They don't know yet that I know about the revamp. They will on Saturday :) To be honest, if I buy this car it will be in spite of the dealer (a VERY large multi make dealers throughout Cambridgeshire) because at the moment they're acting like back street rogues. The car has a very slight dent in one of the doors and they're sorting it out now. I've told them I'm more than likely to walk away from the deal because of it. When I mean minor, it about the size of the now expired new 1/2p (that'll baffle the young 'uns!!). That said, as much as I've intimated that they might be able to by my pride over the damage if I'm honest I'm not convinced that's correct and unless they make a spectacular offer I'll be walking away. This purchase doesn't have to be new and there are some spectacular very late used high spec versions out there. I'll admit I was virtually drooling over the car when I spent some time with it but the damage and the dealers have just about un-sealed the deal.

The purpose of this thread was to see how much hard work I'll have, if any, getting this particular dealer to put things right, that and to see if there were things to tell them to put during PDI. You can always tell how honest they are by seeing if they admit to known issues...

Q...[still undecided thanks to the dealer]

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update time....

I returned to the dealers on Friday rather than Saturday because I wanted to catch them with their money man on site rather than have them tell me on the Saturday that there was nobody available to do any negotiating. The people still weren't right so I said 'thanks but no thanks' and came away.

Today... travelled quite some way to another dealer. Their approach was very different. Leagues apart in fact and it was almost like starting again. In all respects I will say that this dealer was vastly superior in every way to the first one. Politeness, product knowledge, sales approach, negotiating.. everything. I know, I know, selling the car is probably less than half the job of the dealership so only time will tell how good they are but they were brilliant today.

The deal was done and a cracking deal it was too although I changed colour to Vapour gray.

3rd March.... can't wait.

Happy Bunny :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Qhunter, hope that the visit yesterday was fruitful. I placed my order for a 2.7 three weeks ago and had a similar experience to you with the dealers. The first dealer was useless, no product knowledge, no interest whatsoever ( and it wasn't as though they were busy - I was the only person in!) - infact I think that he positively "grimaced" when I walked in with my wife and four year old son. To 'get rid of me' they offered a measly £1,000 off the 2.7 ,despite my opening line being a reference to the new 3.0, coming out of a company car scheme, needing a new car in March etc... (I couldn't have given more 'buying signals'!).

The second dealer experience was much, much better - a salesman who was interested in helping and prepared to 'work' for a sale. I ended up going for the 2.7 due to the size of the discount (even if 2.7 values are hit by the launch of the 3.0, I don't think that I will lose out). My car with 'extras' would retail for just over £36K and I have ended paying just over £30K and been able to take advantage of the Jag low rate finance (5.8%) that is only available on the 2.7. The TCO is truly staggering with Jaguar FS underwriting the car within a PCP arrangement.

Would I prefer a 3.0 - absoluteley! Could I justify the extra expense - not really at this stage in my life!

Like many of the members of this forum, I am eagerly wishing the next two weeks to pass and looking forward to the 1st March.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MWD: I couldn't agree more. I'm going to name the first dealers... Marshall of Peterborough. They managed to snatch failure from the jaws of victory. My partner and I have a tactic when it comes to buying cars. We dress down for the occasion to work out the calibre of the salesman. You know, jeans, fleece top and nikes. It's a technique we've used successfully for years and it works. You discover the true calibre of the salesman and whether they're talking to you as an individual or whether they're stereotyping you. Marshall Peterborough failed that test. Their loss. Quite frankly they took the mickey. The car had 5 items of damage (2 scratched rear wings, a dent on the front offside door, a scratch down the instrument facia and kick/scuff damage to the inside of the driver's door. At that point I'd pretty much decided that the car and the dealer were out of the running but I pressed on to see if maybe they would produce the right deal. Obviously they didn't.

Unfortunately for me the dealer I've bought the car from is almost 50miles away. It's going to be a trek for servicing but I know that when I'm there I'll walk past a cabinet full of national, local and manufacturer customer service awards, the merit of which was demonstrated amply for the 2.5 hours we were there yesterday. All in all the new dealer looks to be a very promising prospect. How bizarre then that they're Marshall of Cambridge.... funny old world, innit?

·
Administrator
22,526 Posts
Qhunter said:
MWD: I couldn't agree more. I'm going to name the first dealers... Marshall of Peterborough. They managed to snatch failure from the jaws of victory. My partner and I have a tactic when it comes to buying cars. We dress down for the occasion to work out the calibre of the salesman. You know, jeans, fleece top and nikes. It's a technique we've used successfully for years and it works. You discover the true calibre of the salesman and whether they're talking to you as an individual or whether they're stereotyping you. Marshall Peterborough failed that test. Their loss. Quite frankly they took the mickey. The car had 5 items of damage (2 scratched rear wings, a dent on the front offside door, a scratch down the instrument facia and kick/scuff damage to the inside of the driver's door. At that point I'd pretty much decided that the car and the dealer were out of the running but I pressed on to see if maybe they would produce the right deal. Obviously they didn't.

Unfortunately for me the dealer I've bought the car from is almost 50miles away. It's going to be a trek for servicing but I know that when I'm there I'll walk past a cabinet full of national, local and manufacturer customer service awards, the merit of which was demonstrated amply for the 2.5 hours we were there yesterday. All in all the new dealer looks to be a very promising prospect. How bizarre then that they're Marshall of Cambridge.... funny old world, innit?
Pleased to learn that you now have satisfied your hearts desire; when do you get it :?:
I was surprised when you wrote that you had finished up in Cambridge. After reading your first post I had a little bet with myself, crazy I know, that you had been served badly by them. The bigger surprise was that you have been served so well, by them again :!:
It would be of interest if you would indicate, very generally, in your Profile section where you are. It is possible that others will be able to point you in the direction of other satisfactory dealers.
Only other thing to say about "you know who" is that it doesn't follow that the poor performance in the Sales Department of a dealership permeates through to the Service Department :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pekem, I'm obviously aware that customer service levels from one department can't be used to pre-judge service levels from another one but.... with such a bad experience from one department are you really going to give the other department of the same business a chance?

As with any business relationship, there's only one way to find out if they're any good isn't there?

As for dealers... If I've got this right, distance to dealers for me goes something like this...

Peterborough 22miles
Cambridge 49miles
Leicester 61 miles
Norwich about 60 miles
Lincoln 65miles
Nottingham 75miles....

So there you have it, having kicked Peterborough into touch I'm left with a fair old hike to any others.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts