XF Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon All,
I'm a big fan of forums, so I'm glad to see one still alive and has not relegated to a relentlessly cringeworthy Facebook group.
I've always admired the XF and whilst my plan has been to move closer to my work so I can keep my V8 Lexus, a house came up locally that we couldn't turn down. It looks like my commute will stay the same, so something more economical is required!
Looking forward to getting involved.

Jim

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
welcome!

you will see exact same reply in other discussion i've posted earlier today...

you won't be disappointed with xf, don't know your budget, but go as new as poss. you saying you are after facelift, so you are after 2012-2015 model (x250), but i would go for newer if you can afford (2015-present x260).

i can advise on facelift x250 - engine wise, depending on your mileage -
petrols 3.0 V6 380bhp (i believe) or 5.0 V8 (much more...:devilish:)
diesels 2.2 V4 163/200 bhp and 3.0 V6 275bhp - which is the best engine for xf imho (avg 40mpg over my commute every day, 30miles each way, mixed roads, city)
any engine is matched with 8 speed semi auto gearbox, shift paddles (standard) are god sent as in my opinion, when in full auto mode it's a bit slow responsive to your right foot demands ;) gearbox is perfectly matched with 3.0 diesel, 2.2 not so much. don't know about petrol's.

trim levels - a few, premium luxury being a min imho, they slightly changed in x260

my 2012 3.0 ds was best drive i ever had. now owning xe, which is as good as if not better (drives better but trim level bit worse, so jury still out ;) )

if you can, go for v6 diesel - XFS version - it has upgraded suspension, breaks, seats. although it all depends on your needs/budget. good luck :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that's my plan really. The S is what I'm hankering after at the moment! But my sensible head keeps saying "2.2d".
Although there are slightly more Sportbrakes in 2.2 in my budget (approx £8000)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Don't expect the 2.2 to be more ecconomical on fuel than the 3.0. My personal experience found the opposite. There's not a lot in it, but the 3.0 does return a better mpg if you can resist putting your foot down. That having been said, as a second car the 2.2 would be very good for relaxed driving too and from work :giggle:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't expect the 2.2 to be more ecconomical on fuel than the 3.0.
That's all the encouragement I need to plump for the 3.0! Hopefully the Lexus sells soon and I can get properly looking!
Is there a classifieds section on this site that I can't see because I'm not a premium member? Or anywhere else to look other than Autotrader, Pistonheads and perhaps eBay?

·
Registered
XF 3.0 V6 diesel. Black, Ivory upholstery MY 2013
3 Posts
Having driven both, to hell with sense. IT'S A JAGUAR :) I have the 3.0 v6 facelift XF-S Portfolio and it is just everything I've ever wanted in a car. Judicious tweaking of the map is worth considering as well ;)

Having said that, it's a perfectly sensible car really,... if you keep a light foot on the throttle... and don't use the "S" button on the transmission... and don't use the dynamic (chequered flag) button...and don't use the flappy paddles...

Thoroughly enjoyed the ritual scanning of Autotrader until I found the one which floated my boat. Personally, I think Autotrader gives one the best chance of finding THE car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is all music to my ears, and what I was hoping to hear! I'm back to scanning Autotrader. Just my budget keeps sneaking it. It was £7500. Then was pushed to £9000, now I've just fallen in love with one that's £11,000 :D

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
This is all music to my ears, and what I was hoping to hear! I'm back to scanning Autotrader. Just my budget keeps sneaking it. It was £7500. Then was pushed to £9000, now I've just fallen in love with one that's £11,000 :D
hahahaha, it's quite dangerous with jags regarding buying budget i tell you;) they are beautiful cars and always getting headache what to choose when im after oneo_O

best thing is to set your goal (colour/engine/equipment) first, then start looking ;)

·
Registered
XF 3.0 V6 diesel. Black, Ivory upholstery MY 2013
3 Posts
Autotrader is great because of the way you can gradually whittle down the cars by using the filters

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought my 2015 model 3.0 diesel Portfolio Sportbrake through AutoTrader, but you do have to be prepared to travel! In this case it was around 120 miles away. Mine is immaculate, had 53000 miles on it, plus a sunroof, and a retractable towbar, all for £12000. I bought privately, which is always more risky, but I checked MOT and Service History, both of which came up as they should. Having bought privately, I took out a warranty myself, with the RAC, for 3 years, and that cost £1000, but, like any modern car, they can go wrong, and repairs don't come cheap, with labour rates up to £200 an hour!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought my 2015 model 3.0 diesel Portfolio Sportbrake through AutoTrader, but you do have to be prepared to travel! In this case it was around 120 miles away. Mine is immaculate, had 53000 miles on it, plus a sunroof, and a retractable towbar, all for £12000. I bought privately, which is always more risky, but I checked MOT and Service History, both of which came up as they should. Having bought privately, I took out a warranty myself, with the RAC, for 3 years, and that cost £1000, but, like any modern car, they can go wrong, and repairs don't come cheap, with labour rates up to £200 an hour!
I meant to mention that the 3.0 fuel consumption is not much different to the 4 cylinder ones- I average over 40 on a run, but on a recent 100ish mile trip, I achieved over 60mpg (admittedly driving like a fairy, helped with endless 50mph roadworks on the M4!) I have had mine remapped to around 320bhp, which might help a bitt though!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts