XF Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have just purchased my dream car, Jag XF 3.0D V6

Im loving it so far, but have a question.

I put a USB stick (64gb) formatted to FAT32, but when I try to access it, it finds the folders but won’t play the MP3s.

Any ideas
Thank you

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hello and welcome. :giggle:

The problem with mp3's not playing has been asked before. I don't recall there being a one fix-all solution so I suggest you do a search on these forums, I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.
That having been said, problems with the usb memory stick can be:
1. The car simply doesn't like the make of usb stick you're using...try another brand.​
2. The formatting of the usb stick is wrong (needs to be FAT32, so in theory yours should be ok, but it may be worth re-formatting it if nothing else works).​
3. The mp3 tracks are not compatible (apparently not all mp3 are the same...not to a Jaguar anyhow).​

If I were you I'd start with tying a different usb stick with just a single mp3 track on it and see what happens.

Bare in mind that mp3 files have what is refered to as meta data (or 'tags') coded into them. This meta data is things like album name, artist, year, etc etc. The car may be expecting to see this data in order to sort the tracks for you and allow you to do searches and such. If this data is missing (or is using characters that the car doesn't understand), this may also be a problem.
In order to edit the meta data you'll need software. Here's my pick (both free to use):
1. mp3tag - Easy to use.​
2. EZ CD Audio Converter - Slightly more complex because it can do more.​
3. EZ Meta Tag Editor - I've not used this, but it's made by the same folks as EZ CD Audio Converter, but just does the tag editing.​

Note that putting mp3 into folders on the usb memory stick is fine (it's the way I do it), but not necessary if all the relevant meta data is coded into the mp3's, the car will read this data and display the files correctly in the car.

If you've tried a single mp3 on a different make of usb stick without success, then try one of the software mentioned above to inspect the meta data fields within the mp3 and to correct any missing information (Number (#), track title, track artist, album, year, genre).
There are many other meta data fields in an mp3, but these are my recommendations as the minimum you should have on each file.

I know all this may sound daunting, but easy to do once you've installed the softaware, in fact EZ CD Audio Converter will add all the metadata automitically if you ask it nicely :), and I'm guessing EZ Meta Tag Editor does also, although as I said earlier, I've never used it.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your advice

The USB is formatted in FAT32 and is being seen - All the folders and MP3's within the folders are being seen. Just wont play.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Then as mentioned above, download one of the editing programs and check the meta data.
If you're happy that all the relevant fields have data then try re-converting the file to mp3 (converting an mp3 to an mp3 sounds wierd but is a thing) using EZ CD Audio Converter.
If you're unsure how to use the program, get back to me in this thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts