XF Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'll put this here as it's the most relevant area and hope it gets seen:eek:

The Dealer has asked if I'd like to have a Paint and Interior protection package added. If they're using the same stuff as my old X-Type, then it will be DiamondBrite.

However

Ultimate Finish who are down the road from me @ Brands Hatch and offer a similar but more expensive protection, which looking at the blurb, I believe will do a batter job: http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/detailing/new-car-protection-treatment.aspx

Now I'm not a "polisher", but when I do clean the cars then: Snow Foam, the 2 Bucket Method, wash Mitts, Microfibre and Waffle towels are in evidence and on a nice day maybe even some wax......

With the outlay that's coming on the car purchase, I wonder if I should sport the extra and have them do it, rather than the dealer. The difference isn't huge and I'm thinking that it's going to be done by guys who really are "polishers" and know their business.

The only down side that I can see is that I will need to pick the car up, drive it to Ultimate Finish, and leave it with them for a day. This will be very hard to do after a 3 month wait........

They did an XJ L in IRR a few weeks ago: http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/car-care-blog/new-car-protection/new-car-protection-plus-for-jaguars-biggest-cat-the-jaguar-xj-l/

Thoughts or Opinions?

Cheers

Mike

·
Registered
765 Posts
Total waste of money! Water based paint does not benefit in any way from this treatment and a twice yearly coat of Autoglym resin polish will keep all the shine and protection your paintwork needs. Diamond Brite is available off E Bay if you really believe in this process. I will be trading my Italian Racing Red Sportbrake on Monday and after 2 years and 4 coats of Autoglym the paintwork looks as good as the new car I will collect.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I don't like waxing due to a disability so took mine and got it fully done with paint correction, GTechnic EXO and C1 and it has been brilliant. 2 years on and it's starting to look like it may need a new coat but I was very happy with the overall result and the car looks like new still.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Total waste of money! Water based paint does not benefit in any way from this treatment and a twice yearly coat of Autoglym resin polish will keep all the shine and protection your paintwork needs. Diamond Brite is available off E Bay if you really believe in this process. I will be trading my Italian Racing Red Sportbrake on Monday and after 2 years and 4 coats of Autoglym the paintwork looks as good as the new car I will collect.
I would agree... not necessary on modern paintwork. I reckon Paint protection is just one of a lengthening list of 'add-ons' that dealerships try to sell to squeeze every last £ out of a sale. Resin polish is a good plan.
NM

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all

I was avoiding the Dealer as I've already discovered that their GAP insurance is twice the price that I can find it elsewhere.

I've spoken to UF will have a think.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I have had three cars polished professionally by a paint shop and the result was amazing in a positive vain, of course.
The reason for this action was based on the age of the cars i.e. my MGRV8, Rover 75 and Rover ZT260. This is obviously, then a question of traffic film accumulating over years on the road. I'm not convinced that a young spritely XF really requires this sort of treatment!

·
Registered
295 Posts
One thing I would say is DO NOT LET THE DEALER DO IT! Unless they have been personally recommended by someone who is properly anal about detailing.

In mosdt cases the dealers aren't given the time to do this sort of stuff properly. What you could end up doing is adding a really hard sealant to a car that has micro-fine scratches in it that the dealer has put there in the pre-wash.

I'd next suggest sealant on a car is down to personal preference. I for one enjoy getting the polisher out and giving my car a once over and adding a nice layer of wax. If you find you get too busy to keep on top of it, then I'd say consider sealant. New car or old, same rules will apply. The paint preparation and the way the sealant is applied will make all the difference.

Oh, one other contributing factor.. Where is the car park/used? Next to a train station/sea front/under trees or any other bird pooping location would put the paint at more of a risk and I'd be more tempted to seal it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Definitely do not let the dealer do it. Very expensive for what you get and the valet guys at the dealership, with all due respect to them, just aren't given the time to do the job properly. And they certainly wouldn't deal with any paint correction that may be needed - yes even on a brand new car.

As for Ultimate Finish, all I can say is steer well clear. Not been hearing good reports since I myself had problems with them some time back. They're very good at advertising and certainly have the gift of the gab; they then fail miserably when it comes to doing the job.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wild Cat, I don't suppose you'd care to elaborate on the issues you had at all?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts