XF Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard there will be a new 3l deisel model - I am about to change my car and want to know whether it will be worth waiting for.
I am currently in a 525d BMW and like the performance. The tech data shows that the XF 2.7d is not as poweful and has higher emmisions.
With BMW and Audi knocking £1000s of the price of new cars its a mine field.
I would also like to know if XF buyers are getting good deals. I really fancy one but want the best deal!
I am grateful for any advice.

Thanks

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Welcome to the forum paulwran :)
Tough position to be in, do I or don't I :?:
You could do worse than to simply go and talk to a Jaguar Dealer about the rumours you have heard. You never know, they may just stun you with a deal you couldn't refuse :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
if it is coming then wait, as it will only bug you that you went for the slower engine, and it is considerably slower that a BMW or Audi, as the claimed figures are very dubious

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
rclifford said:
if it is coming then wait, as it will only bug you that you went for the slower engine, and it is considerably slower that a BMW or Audi, as the claimed figures are very dubious
The 2.7D XF is fast enough for me and it covers the ground with more aplomb than harsh riding Audi's and BMW's

·
Registered
64 Posts
Vapourgrey said:
rclifford said:
The 2.7D XF is fast enough for me and it covers the ground with more aplomb than harsh riding Audi's and BMW's
I concur. Also the comparable BMW/Audi with similar spec are more expensive than the current diesel XF versions.

·
Registered
34 Posts
just picked up my xf 2.7d. I could have waited for the 3L and I've driven / owned Audis and BMWs .. it's not just how fast but how it does it.. how it makes you feel.. my last car was a 2.7 S-Type sport and for 3 years I enjoyed driving it. Test drive them all for a weekend each, drive at night and day, motorway town and B roads.. Buy now to get great deals and choice of existing stock (remember they have all cut production so whilst the supply chain is full of stock, choice is great and a deal can be found, once supply and demand are back in balance it will be harder) yes if you wait you can get the new engine (together with any new engine problems..) it will be more efficient but you will probably not get a great deal, a few thousand pounds extra discount buys a lot of deisel...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Everyone is offering good deals on their cars for sale (new), but the key is what they offer you for your present car, assuming you are trading in.

I tried two BMW dealers when I looked at updating my S-Type to something new. They were 3k short of what my Jaguar dealer was prepared to offer and as others have said, you end up paying more for BMWs with a similar spec.

Another point is the retained value in future years. Because the BMWs have a lower starting spec you may well not get back as much percentage wise when you trade in in the future.

I also got more for my S-Type by letting the dealer have it within three weeks and then waiting for my new one - not everyone can do this but it saved me £1500.

Whatever you decide enjoy your motoring whilst you still can - the way this Government is working they will tax us all off the roads if they get their way on road pricing. :evil: - mind that sleigh Santa!

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
I am told that the new 3.0 diesel is coming soon and it is a fantastic engine. The current leading diesel engine for performance/economy is the BMW 3.0 diesel but this one, the Jaguar, blows it out of the water. Plus the new 5.0 V8 is on it's way - very exciting!
But you still need to decide if you want a comfortable saloon or a "rocket ship"
I'm for comfort :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Have to say , i have a 2.7 PL & i have never yet had my foot to the floor. maybe cos i'm an old git of 60 + but i don't feel the need for any extra power & just enjoy the fabulous car that it is.

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Interesting that the majority seem to favour the 2.7D and only 2 posts endorse the 3L, maybe that will change as time passes :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Really need to drive both back to back as we are only guessing at how the 3.0L will perform.

Certainly won't be chopping mine in to get the 3.0L

·
Registered
242 Posts
My XF 2.7 doesnt quite have the punch of my BMW 3.0d X3 but it's more than adequate for my requirements. How often do we explore the limits of the performance anyway - it's not a track day car is it?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have spoken to my dealer today re the forthcoming three litre diesel engine, not because I want one as mine is delivered in a couple of weeks. He advises me that there is very likely to be a price revision in March as the diesel engines may well go up significantly in price.

The diesel engine is the most expensive engine for Jaguar to make, he informs me. A shame then that the 4.2 is so much more money here in the UK. Perhaps that will change shortly, as I suspect will the specifications/options/models.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts