XF Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my visit today to solve an oil leak just been told its a drive shaft seal thats gone and as usual no spares are available so its order and wait and a 3 hour job. Question for you techies - would this seal have been replaced or moved during the diff replacement (its at the diff end). I have lost all confidence in the dealer and just starting to lose it with the XF. 860 miles and never a dull moment.

gary
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Yes, the diff seal is on the diff and the driveshaft is inserted through it when the car is assembled. As you have had a diff change the dealer would have had to insert the driveshaft through this seal. Also this is not difficult or rocket science and is run of the mill workshop practice.

What happens if you don't do it carefully is the driveshaft can nick the seal and it then leaks...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
garyxf said:
After my visit today to solve an oil leak just been told its a drive shaft seal thats gone and as usual no spares are available so its order and wait and a 3 hour job. Question for you techies - would this seal have been replaced or moved during the diff replacement (its at the diff end). I have lost all confidence in the dealer and just starting to lose it with the XF. 860 miles and never a dull moment.

gary
This is terrible. Have you considered contacting What Car?'s Helpline about your experiences? They can act as mediators and may publish your experiences. Dealers and manufacturers fear a mention in the Helpline section of What Car? Magazine. More info here with a link to email the Helpline:

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/news-special-r ... ?NA=215751

A phone call from What Car?'s Helpline to your dealer or Jaguar HQ will resolve matters, particularly in light of the current advertising campaign for the XF.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Things just get worse, after calling the dealer yesterday to confirm part had arrived I got up this morning at 06:30 drove through the fog and traffic to arrive at the dealer at 08:00, at 0930 I was told a nut was missing (yes 1 nut) and they could not do the seal change so its now monday next.

gary
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,502 Posts
Good luck for tomorrow Gary. :)
I was asked by Navtec this week if I wished to update my SatNav maps. It might be that you could ask for yours to be updated free of charge by way of further compensation. Also, you might consider writing to Sir Trevor Chinn the Chairmain of Pendragon, the holding company of Stratstone, I know that he would be interested.

Pendragon PLC
Loxley House
2 Oakwood Court
Little Oak Drive
Annesley
Nottingham NG15 0DR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pekem said:
Good luck for tomorrow Gary. :)
I was asked by Navtec this week if I wished to update my SatNav maps. It might be that you could ask for yours to be updated free of charge by way of further compensation. Also, you might consider writing to Sir Trevor Chinn the Chairman of Pendragon, the holding company of Stratstone, I know that he would be interested.

Pendragon PLC
Loxley House
2 Oakwood Court
Little Oak Drive
Annesley
Nottingham NG15 0DR
Thanks for the information Peter thats just what I need, fingers crossed this is the last of the woes. Once more up at 06:30, us retired people are not used to it, unless its to go to the toilet.

gary
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took the car in they replaced the Seal took anout 2 hours gave me half a tankful of diesel also bought some touch up paint (yes my first scratch), over £13 dearer than MB. I notice there are lots of XFs around now hope there are not too many more rather like the exclusiveness of the last few months.

I asked about any satnav updates the service manager said no but I could tell he was lying his lips were moving.

gary
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,502 Posts
garyxf said:
Took the car in they replaced the Seal took anout 2 hours gave me half a tankful of diesel also bought some touch up paint (yes my first scratch), over £13 dearer than MB. I notice there are lots of XFs around now hope there are not too many more rather like the exclusiveness of the last few months.

I asked about any satnav updates the service manager said no but I could tell he was lying his lips were moving.

gary
Good to read that you appear to be over the worse Gary.
Were you happy with the result of the touch up kit? I have to say that in the past I think that I have expected too much from them and was never really happy eith the result. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,538 Posts
For several years I have bought paint from from Autopaint St Helens for my classic and modern cars.

Their aerosols have always been a perfect colour match - after a thorough shaking just squirt some in a small container and use a fine brush.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,502 Posts
Vapourgrey said:
For several years I have bought paint from from Autopaint St Helens for my classic and modern cars.

Their aerosols have always been a perfect match - after a thorough shaking just squirt some in a small container and use a fine brush.
Is it really that simple Vapourgrey :?: I suspect that you have a natural aptitude with proceedures associated with car care whereas I am the type of person who reaches for the instructions after the event :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,538 Posts
It really is very easy to touch-up stone chips with this paint. I have always found the contents of manufacturers' paint sticks a poor colour match and too thick to work with. Even thinning it down is rarely successful.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,502 Posts
Vapourgrey said:
It really is very easy to touch-up stone chips with this paint. I have always found the contents of manufacturers' paint sticks a poor colour match and too thick to work with. Even thinning it down is rarely successful.
Thanks for that, I will order one but before I do I would like to know if there is merit in choosing from:
touch up pots from £2.95
paint pens from £2.95
mixed aerosols from £6.99

Is it that the Zarallic paint used by Jaguar requires a mixed aerosol. I can't see the point in squirting an aerosol in to the lid and then using a brush when it seems that a touchup pot would short circuit the effort.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,538 Posts
I would definitely go for the aerosol. The paint in the pots is thicker and no better than the paint sticks. The aerosol paint matches perfectly and is thinner when first sprayed into the top. Wait a bit and it gets a thicker making it much easier to get really good results.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
pekem said:
Good to read that you appear to be over the worse Gary.
Were you happy with the result of the touch up kit? I have to say that in the past I think that I have expected too much from them and was never really happy eith the result. :(
The touch up pencil is the best I have used it has a very fine brush perfect to fit in small groove, its also very thin so flows OK but problem like all these paint sticks have is colour match on metallic, I find its too dark (only just). I never use the lacquer as it tends to darken the finish but good for scuffs on wheels.

gary
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,502 Posts
garyxf said:
pekem said:
Good to read that you appear to be over the worse Gary.
Were you happy with the result of the touch up kit? I have to say that in the past I think that I have expected too much from them and was never really happy eith the result. :(
The touch up pencil is the best I have used it has a very fine brush perfect to fit in small groove, its also very thin so flows OK but problem like all these paint sticks have is colour match on metallic, I find its too dark (only just). I never use the lacquer as it tends to darken the finish but good for scuffs on wheels.

gary
Maybe you should consider Vapougrey's remedy. It does have the merit of using correctly mixed shades. I know you have just spent the money but if you are unhappy with the result :cry:
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top