XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a INFORAD K1

Being only slightly larger than a memory stick and powered with a rechargeable lithium battery with 4.5 endurance it is very unobtrusive. The price is a reasonable £39.99 including free lifetime updates.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Would certainly be interested to hear how it performs... does it plug into the usb connector under the arm rest ?
where do you have it sited ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It gives very clear and accurate warnings and comes with a 12/24V plug with a USB receptacle in the end which fits into the auxiliary power socket for charging. You can also charge it via the car USB socket or a PC. If you do buy one the unit must be plugged directly into the computer USB receptacle, not a dock, when downloading updates and it must be switched on. It is battery powered when in use and being so small it really needs to be on the coaming to receive decent signals. There is a non-skid ring on each end to stop it sliding around under normal driving conditions. It also comes with a small adhesive backed bracket.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,496 Posts
Vapourgrey said:
It gives very clear and accurate warnings and comes with a 12/24V plug with a USB receptacle in the end which fits into the auxiliary power socket for charging. You can also charge it via the car USB socket or a PC. If you do buy one the unit must be plugged directly into the computer USB receptacle, not a dock, when downloading updates and it must be switched on. It is battery powered when in use and being so small it really needs to be on the coaming to receive decent signals. There is a non-skid ring on each end to stop it sliding around under normal driving conditions. It also comes with a small adhesive backed bracket.

Really interesting device, thank you :)
I am just looking at the site now and wondering if there is merit in buying the more expensive models at all? How did you decide on the one you bought; I can't see much of a difference but maybe I am missing something . Am I right in thinking that a cable has to trail back in to the USB port; which is a shame?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,496 Posts
pekem said:
Vapourgrey said:
It gives very clear and accurate warnings and comes with a 12/24V plug with a USB receptacle in the end which fits into the auxiliary power socket for charging. You can also charge it via the car USB socket or a PC. If you do buy one the unit must be plugged directly into the computer USB receptacle, not a dock, when downloading updates and it must be switched on. It is battery powered when in use and being so small it really needs to be on the coaming to receive decent signals. There is a non-skid ring on each end to stop it sliding around under normal driving conditions. It also comes with a small adhesive backed bracket.

Really interesting device, thank you :)
I am just looking at the site now and wondering if there is merit in buying the more expensive models at all? How did you decide on the one you bought; I can't see much of a difference but maybe I am missing something . Am I right in thinking that a cable has to trail back in to the USB port; which is a shame?
Just read your description again Vapougrey and I see that you have answered the question about the lead etc. Only thing now is, which model?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pekem said:
pekem said:
Vapourgrey said:
It gives very clear and accurate warnings and comes with a 12/24V plug with a USB receptacle in the end which fits into the auxiliary power socket for charging. You can also charge it via the car USB socket or a PC. If you do buy one the unit must be plugged directly into the computer USB receptacle, not a dock, when downloading updates and it must be switched on. It is battery powered when in use and being so small it really needs to be on the coaming to receive decent signals. There is a non-skid ring on each end to stop it sliding around under normal driving conditions. It also comes with a small adhesive backed bracket.

Really interesting device, thank you :)
I am just looking at the site now and wondering if there is merit in buying the more expensive models at all? How did you decide on the one you bought; I can't see much of a difference but maybe I am missing something . Am I right in thinking that a cable has to trail back in to the USB port; which is a shame?
Just read your description again Vapougrey and I see that you have answered the question about the lead etc. Only thing now is, which model?
I went for the K 1 because of it's small size. Easily hidden away or pocketed. The pdf files seem to have gone from the website. Try THIS for a more detailed description.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,496 Posts
Yes, thanks for that.
I will arrange to have one because it does irritate me when I think that the Tom Tom I had on my old PDA did a wonderful job for thrumpence, but even after spending over £40000 on an XF I don't have radar alerts :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Thanks Vapourgrey
Neat little device, just looked at the web site, would like to know how you get on with it and if there is any interference from heated windscreen?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The heated windscreen doesn't effect it. It works very well when sitting on the glareshield, but won't pick up signals on the centre console.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Looks like a very useful purchase (not that I ever speed ;). However couldnt work out whether it just warns of known fixed camera sites or whether it also senses cameras, fixed or mobile?
If the device needs to be restrained where have you fixed it and will the fixing damage the dash/coaming?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,496 Posts
andrewll said:
Looks like a very useful purchase (not that I ever speed ;). However couldnt work out whether it just warns of known fixed camera sites or whether it also senses cameras, fixed or mobile?
If the device needs to be restrained where have you fixed it and will the fixing damage the dash/coaming?
Vapourgrey earlier provided a link which will answer your question regarding the siting of this, link below:
THIS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
andrewll said:
Looks like a very useful purchase (not that I ever speed ;). However couldnt work out whether it just warns of known fixed camera sites or whether it also senses cameras, fixed or mobile?
If the device needs to be restrained where have you fixed it and will the fixing damage the dash/coaming?
It has the positions of Fixed, Spec and mobile camera sites in it's data base and warns you before you reach them. You can stick the small holding bracket on the windscreen to avoid damaging the leather.
This Product Sheet explains all.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,496 Posts
I have to say Vapourgrey you have started something now :!:
Having read all I could about these devices I have now ordered a Road Angel with built in GPRS for constant updating.
I know that I am not disciplined enough to undertake to do a daily USB download so I have taken the easy, albeit, expensive route.
It came as news to me, until I read about yours,that devices are available which are not cable dependent for power; the one reason that prevented me from looking at them in the past.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Has anyone used this device with an XF heated Screen - I have a Road Angel - However that does not work & I don't want to fit an antenna.

This might be the answer??

Cheers

Jez
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,496 Posts
Jez923 said:
Has anyone used this device with an XF heated Screen - I have a Road Angel - However that does not work & I don't want to fit an antenna.

This might be the answer??

Cheers

Jez
Which model Road Angel are you trying to use :?:
I have The Road Angel Professional Connected and it works superbly well.
As far as Jaguar Cars are concerned I wrote to Road Angel and asked them if it would be OK on an XF and their reply was:

The thin metal elements in your windscreen are not a problem, some cars (mostly French) actually have a thin metal covering over them which is the big issue but Jaguar do not use these windscreens
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jez923 said:
Has anyone used this device with an XF heated Screen - I have a Road Angel - However that does not work & I don't want to fit an antenna.

This might be the answer??

Cheers

Jez

My K1 works well in the XF.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
My Road Angel is the R A Plus model. I have used it in other cars, however, I can't seem to get it to work in the XF.

I'll have another go

Thx for the advice

Jez
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top