XF Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hear for yourself

I'm looking for a confirmation if this noise is normal for the v6 Diesel. Mine has been doing it ever since I bought it with 70.000km and now it has done 160.000km.
Sounds like a sewing machine to me and the frequency increases when I push the pedal, as well as the intensity increases. I don't notice any lack of power or strange engine behaviour.
All services have been done!
Bringing this up because I read tests of Jag XF vs BMW 535d where they say the XF diesel runs a lot smoother. I happen to have a BMW 740xd and that definitely runs a lot smoother than the XF.
At 160k, the belts will be due to be serviced quite soon, but as I said this noise persisted already 90k Kilometers.

thanks for any suggestions
Stefan

·
Registered
73 Posts
I notice you have no engine cover - this has acoustic properties that will significantly quieten that noise!
Most likely it's the injectors opening and closing your hearing, but could be tappets given the mileage (they are hydraulic and not adjustable).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this as well. Many people have said that it's a solid earth strap from the high pressure fuel pump to the engine bay which is transfering the sewing machine tappety noise. On my problem is I cant find it in the engine bay to add the short length of braided earth strap from Halfords. If anybody could help me with the location of this I would be eternally grateful. Tired of tap tap tapping round Lincoln now!

Hear for yourself

I'm looking for a confirmation if this noise is normal for the v6 Diesel. Mine has been doing it ever since I bought it with 70.000km and now it has done 160.000km.
Sounds like a sewing machine to me and the frequency increases when I push the pedal, as well as the intensity increases. I don't notice any lack of power or strange engine behaviour.
All services have been done!
Bringing this up because I read tests of Jag XF vs BMW 535d where they say the ⁹XF diesel runs a lot smoother. I happen to have a BMW 740xd and that definitely runs a lot smoother than the XF.
At 160k, the belts will be due to be serviced quite soon, but as I said this noise persisted already 90k Kilometers.

thanks for any suggestions
Stefan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts