XF Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people,

another stage in my saga with this car - it was broken into last night. Method of entry to locked car was by moving the keyhole cover on the passenger door and forcing that lock. Alarm was not heard during the night. They checked cubbyholes, glovebox and boot, which means they know their way around the car - boot button is not easy to find for the uninitiated, and the glovebox opening would be a puzzle.

BTW, iPod and connecting lead were stolen, plus maybe a golf cap!

As always, I wish to communicate this as a warning, and hear any feedback if this has been heard elsewhere in the country. I am located in Manchester, by the way.

Regards,

Tony

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
That is very bad news Tony :cry:
How as it left your car; is it damaged to the extent that it has to be resprayed or will the fitting of a new lock etc be all that is required :?:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SOCO found no prints, and there is no damage to the passenger door lock, so how they got into a locked car I do not know.

The passenger door is the only one with an emergency keyhole entry, but the interior of the lock there has not been damaged, although the cover was loosened. When I posted earlier I had not touched the area to see the lock status.

I usually park overnight with the nearside of the car up against my brick car port pillar - last night this was not the case, so it was a rare night when the car is not secured, in effect, by the front passenger door being unopenable.

I also tested [today] use of the emergency key to open the door when the car is deadlocked, and if you try to legitimately do this, the alarm sounds. We did not hear the alarm during last night.

I hope I remain the only unlucky one, but I wanted forum members to be aware of this possibility, and hope the scumbags do not communicate using forums like this :)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The tealeafs could have downloaded the relevant Handbook chapter from the Jaguar site.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[I keep replying to my own topic which is a BAD SIGN ]

Anyhow, my further thoughts are also about the theft of the iPod connector cable. The thieves must have known what they wanted, and this may fit an XF only.

My dealer has just got this part in today for me . . it is £58.72 yes fifty eight pounds sterling for a short cable.

Regards,

Tony

·
Registered
58 Posts
There was a whole rash of similar break ins near us last year. All sorts of car makes, entry through the passenger door with no damage or alarm. They left our door slightly ajar for some reason.
Our Forester didn't have anything worth pinching, but a Headmaster had left a laptop in the car with the new year timetable :roll:

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is disturbing news, particularly as I am already worried about owning an XF in, well, a not too nice part of Manchester. So am I right in saying that a standard 'emergency' key can open an XF completely bypassing all the scientific wizardry associated with keyless entry?

I think I'd sooner araldite the key hole and get the bus than risk damage to or theft from the inside.

David.

·
Registered
219 Posts
When the alarm is not activated, does that mean that the thieves have some kind of electronical device that makes them able to de-activate the alarm? This would be a serious matter. Anyone a clue?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts