XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

Happily bought a 2010 XF S 3.0 TT PF last month with 16,000 miles on the clock and need to ask, do i have a problem or is 37mpg acceptable?

For example previously I had a remapped BMW 330D boosted to 284BHP and on an say rapid journey from Glasgow to Inverness would give 39.7 MPG and on a conservative give 44 MPG.

In my XF i achieve 37MPG max, driving very conservatively using all the usual fuel saving techniques no AC, heated seats easy on the throttle

Having chosen the XF, for some part on MPG, i have an suspicion somethings not right either with on one of the turbos or deeper seated issue.

The car will be remapped and i am fully familiar with its benefits theory and in practice, however before going forward does this fuel consumption sound ok or should i put car back to the dealer for a full assessment?

I do 40,000 miles a year so a biggie on running cost

Any thoughts or experience would be very much appreciated

cheers

Dave

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a MY2012 XFS Portfolio and do about 25k per annum. So far I have averaged 37 to 38 MPG so I dont think your returns are unusual. Remember the XF is a much heavier car than the 330D (and much prettier ;))...

·
Registered
147 Posts
I keep reading this stuff on mpg - I get under 30 for the most part in my 2010 XFS, and I drive mostly through light traffic to work, but hit a lot of lights, so a good bit of stop/start. I only see high 30s on a long run on holidays with the family. If I do try to be slow then I can get about 35 to work - but then there would be no point in having the Jag!

As with a lot in life - good performance and good running costs do not go hand in hand, owning a car is getting the right compromise between them - or we would all be driving either a 1L fiesta or a Ferrari, depending on your preferance for cost v performance.

I did think about a remap, but I'm a bit off put by insurance and reliability problems, so have always steered clear.

The BM does look nice though.

James

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
totally understand james

Positves sport mode changes engine tone and revs
it sits and stick almost like a quattro
its loaded wi extras foc

Negatives
wee bit kicky of roundabouts ects (once you know)

Ive had my 2 beemers remapped and it astonishing
as these engines are made for the world market there performance curve is optimised for all grades of fuel worldwide from uk to Mongolia

our fuel is rated at a certian grade and these guys remap discreetly the ecu to A) boost power and as a by product give you between 3 to 5 mpg in return even at quick driving. The dealer cannot tell youve been remapped. cost £400

If you get a bolt on superchip its even better but you must manually remove the chip before service think this chip does 345BHP, if you forget your warrenty insurance yer knackerd whereas remap is discreet

if you like ,note me as a friend as mines getting remapped this month and i can feedback

cheers

dave

·
Banned
468 Posts
One of the things I like about this forum is that no matter how peoples opinions differ, they can always use the english language to get their point across with a bit of politeness and decorum, with an grown up attitude and not descend into the sort of rubbish you can expect kids to write in. Max - Dave - you are both relative new-comers to this forum, and I'm sure that once the forum admin reads what you have put in, then warnings will be coming both your ways. No doubt other long term regulars will comment on your posts, and not for the good either.

We all take pride in our motors on here, but you two have now taken this forum to a new low. There is more important things to worry about in this world, like being home with family!

As for the topic of 3.0 XFS mileage, I get about 34 mpg, and that is a mix of town and urban driving, taking it easy, and getting a bit more spirited on the open roads.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I totally agree with you Rigger. Everyone has different ideas on cars and the variety of views is a good thing. Max and Dave, please respect others views even if you don't agree with them and refrain from childish insults. It doesn't help to be rude to each other just because viewpoints differ.
thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
Rigger, I also totally agree with your point. I am a new member and did not sign up to see those sort of exchanges!

·
Administrator
22,530 Posts
dave23408

The comments contained in some of your posts are not in keeping with the ethos of this forum and are regarded as offensive and accordingly have been edited out.
You are welcome to continue to post in these forums but only if you respect the views and opinions of fellow members and that you do not repeat the offensive language now removed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dave23408

You lucky chap having to travel from Glasgow to Inverness on those glorious roads and breathtaking scenery. Very jealous now I'm back in Berkshire, after Christmas and New Year north of the border.

See my experience below of driving from John O'Groats to Lock Lomond between Christmas and New Year. My XF has the 8 speed gearbox which probably helps with economy compared to yours. I imagine the BMW is smaller and lighter than the XF and with lots of mile on the clock the engine is loosened up nicely. I'm so far resisting the temptation to remap the car, but I'm weak and getting weaker. Do report back on how it changes the XF.

http://www.xfforum.co.uk/threads/9989-XF-3-0-S-Prem-Lux-Consumption/page2

·
Registered
783 Posts
I think 37mpg is about right. A few thousand miles ago I changed my display from a digital mph to av mpg and very quickly my averages went from mid 30s to low 40s. To be fair I hardly every use the break any more and I use the cruise control all the time, even for accelerating (unless I'm out for "a drive" of course).
I can get mid 40s on a 16 mile drive on good roads (down hill on the way back from work, must be uphill on the way to work as it is consistently lower MPG).

Oddly, the best mpg I ever achieved was 49 for the same journey with a space saver spare on - go figure, must have been the lower speeds.

I think normal driving is around mid 30s - normal being "spirited" on this forum.

vapour Grey, MY2012 3.0 XFS

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'm a bit confused here - how does changing your display from a digital mph to av mph result in your averages going up?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think mid-thirties with spirited driving is definitely good! Below shows 12 months of shall we say, often-very-spirited driving
IMG_0842.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 2010 XFS has just gone back and over the 29,000 miles did an average of 29 ish MPG. Mainly a "combined" cycle I'd say. Just upgraded to an XFR so dreading how low it will go especially now that the driving is unavoidably, lets say, "more spirited"!!!!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
My 2010 XFS has just gone back and over the 29,000 miles did an average of 29 ish MPG. Mainly a "combined" cycle I'd say. Just upgraded to an XFR so dreading how low it will go especially now that the driving is unavoidably, lets say, "more spirited"!!!!!!
Keep me updated, that is one of my considered next moves!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Keep me updated, that is one of my considered next moves!
I have run a SV8 for almost 5 years and 70000 miles and have averaged 23mpg. I must say it's very much down to the driver and I do a fai rly even mix (time wise) of motorway and town driving. I can't come near achieving the fuel consumption that I get using cruise control so I use this most of the time. On motorway driving around 75mph I return approx 30 mpg but going aggressively over some mountains in the highlands with paddles and electronics off I only achieved 12mpg :eek:
of course I expect my new XFR to be poorer as it's 5l vs the SV8 4.2l
hope this helps

·
Registered
783 Posts
"I'm a bit confused here - how does changing your display from a digital mph to av mph result in your averages going up? "

Rolymat, it's entirely psycholgical, Rohan​

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Hi Dave .. to answer your question, 37 mpg is "normal" for the 2010 I´d say .. I´ve had mine for a bit more than a year now and the total average for one year is 40,35 mpg (UK). That´s with some fun driving it and the 8-speed gear box (MY2012).

1 - 20 of 53 Posts