XF Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My XF premium Luxury in Azure complete with US size plates with Stainless frames purchased from a dealer in the States.2000 miles on the clock now and I am getting 44 MPG on my 39 mile mainly motorway journey to my office a couple of days each week.36-37 MPG showing as average on my B trip which is reset every time I refuel with liquid gold.Pictures will be posted soon. Thanks!

[attachment=4:2y7znshj]1.jpg[/attachment:2y7znshj]
[attachment=3:2y7znshj]2.jpg[/attachment:2y7znshj]
[attachment=2:2y7znshj]3.jpg[/attachment:2y7znshj]
[attachment=1:2y7znshj]4.jpg[/attachment:2y7znshj]
[attachment=0:2y7znshj]5.jpg[/attachment:2y7znshj]

·
Administrator
22,509 Posts
hydrajaws said:
My XF premium Luxury in Azure complete with US size plates with Stainless frames purchased from a dealer in the States.2000 miles on the clock now and I am getting 44 MPG on my 39 mile mainly motorway journey to my office a couple of days each week.36-37 MPG showing as average on my B trip which is reset every time I refuel with liquid gold.Pictures will be posted soon. Thanks!
It will be interesting to see these special plates. Was it a lot of hassle to import them :?:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
pekem said:
It will be interesting to see these special plates. Was it a lot of hassle to import them :?:
More importantly, how will the Boys in Blue view them? A friend suffered real aggro from the Kent Police, who took exception to the aluminium German style plates he fitted on his (WHITE :roll:) BMW 335D

·
Administrator
22,509 Posts
Vapourgrey said:
pekem said:
More importantly, how will the Boys in Blue view them? A friend suffered real aggro from the Kent Police, who took exception to the aluminium German style plates he fitted on his (WHITE :roll:) BMW 335D
I agree and would advise hydrajaws to consider the following comments in relation to his plates;

SUMMARY: What is required and permitted on UK road-legal number plates
Required:
White front plate (to British Standard BS AU 145d)
Yellow rear plate (to British Standard BS AU 145d)
The registration number of the bearer vehicle in the mandatory font (black ‘Charles Wright 2001’)
Spacing of characters and character groups in accordance with the measurements specified in the regulations. Variation is not permitted
Permitted but not required:
3D variation of the mandatory ‘Charles Wright 2001’ font
Coloured, non-reflective border
National emblem: English St George Cross with “ENG” legend, Scottish St Andrew Cross with “SCO” legend, Welsh Dragon with “WALES” and “CYMRU” legend, British Union Flag with “GB” legend) or Euro Stars symbol with “GB” legend.
No additions or variations are permitted. Common illegal variations are:

Fancy or decorative typefaces
Bolts placed in such a way as to alter the appearance of characters
Adjusted spacing between characters or character groups
Altered characters
Additional logos or symbols, such as sporting emblems and religious symbols.

·
Administrator
434 Posts
Great photos Hydrajaws.

I obviously had to remove your reg from the photos which makes it hard to see the impact of the plates. (Hydrajaws - if you want me to post them with your reg let me know - but I wouldn't recommend it).

To be honest after seeing the plates "naked" I don't think there is too much of an issue. The lettering looks not a million miles from standard. Of course plod may well pull you up on it though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
When I return to the UK I will put one of my retention Plates on my car either PU51JUS or MU51CGB. I used to have a LHD SMART car in London from 1999 till 2003 and I had the Plate T1NYE. The Plate was totally legal but I was stopped 3 times by the Police "to check" my lights etc..... they then ask me how much the plate cost and would I sell it. BTW the lights were configured for the continent with stickers to stop the dazzel Plodd did not even question this. I would have to change them for the 1st MOT but sold the car to someone how was going to live in Rome so needed a LHD car.
Sold the Plates for a nice profit to another SMART owner.

·
Registered
216 Posts
pekem said:
Where did that come from :?:
looks like a similar badge to the one on the S-type i think

more to the point, why advertise it :?: unless it was irony, and it was really an SV8 ;)

struggling to work out why you'd put American-style plates on a British car too. though they seem to suit it :)

that mkII is a gorgeous thing :cool:

·
Administrator
22,509 Posts
bob said:
pekem said:
Where did that come from :?:
looks like a similar badge to the one on the S-type i think

more to the point, why advertise it :?: unless it was irony, and it was really an SV8 ;)

struggling to work out why you'd put American-style plates on a British car too. though they seem to suit it :)

that mkII is a gorgeous thing :cool:
It might just provide a useful ledge with which to open and close the boot in cold weather :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts